I am eating too little...

Options
I can't seem to get my calories up high enough now that I am committed to losing the weight. I think it is out of fear that I won't succeed. I have been 300-500 calories under my goal (less than 1000 calories a couple days). Anyone know how to kick the anxiety and just get healthy? I have never dieted before, this is the first struggle I am having with my weight... that could be why I am such a wreck.

Replies

• ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can eat more and lose weight but you have to move more.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Kick the anxiety and get healthy? Do you have an ED, OP?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to get my calories up high enough now that I am committed to losing the weight. I think it is out of fear that I won't succeed. I have been 300-500 calories under my goal (less than 1000 calories a couple days). Anyone know how to kick the anxiety and just get healthy? I have never dieted before, this is the first struggle I am having with my weight... that could be why I am such a wreck.
    The calories you set with MFP is a goal, not a limit. You should seek to hit the calorie goal, not go way above or below it. Eating too few calories can lead you to get burnt out, can negatively affect recovery, can lead to binges, and a whole host of other problems. You may think you are doing yourself a favor by constantly being way under your goal but you aren't. If your goal is set appropriately then hitting it should result in weight loss at an appropriate rate.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Talk to a therapist, perhaps? Not trying to be snarky, but if you're suffering from anxiety such that you can't eat enough food to fuel your body, I would suspect perhaps there's some underlying issues that need to be addressed first.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't really think of it as a diet. I think of it as just the way I eat everyday. I'm at maintenance now, and I have just completely changed my eating habits to where this is now normal for me.

Anyway, I struggled with the same thing at first - I would have days where I was too scared to eat my minimum. But it is exactly that - a minimum. I went for more of a range, so I would try to do between 1200-1400 calories a day. That helped a lot, and I still lost weight.

If I was still under 1200 after dinner, I would eat ice cream (my total weakness!) or a slice of bread with peanut butter (my second weakness). It got my calories up, and it's just a nice, rewarding end to a day.
  • futurecatlady
    futurecatlady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recommend going to see a nutritionist or dietician. They can assist you in addressing goals and how to reach them while making sure you are getting proper nutrition. As a rule usually under 1200 is frowned upon. If we are really simplifying it, less calories in than those used = weight loss. But... Being healthy is also more than just weight loss. If you drastically cut calories but don't fuel your body's basic needs, you're probably not going to help yourself in reaching your goals...

If there is a particular fear or anxiety, it could be helpful to explore therapy to understand where this fear is coming from. Cognitive behavioral therapy can be helpful assist in behavioral and thinking changes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're eating that little, you're not getting the nutrition your body needs. Silly really, with only that little to lose. Since it's causing you anxiety, I would speak to a professional.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    BTDT. Took some time and constant reminders that I need to eat to fuel my body. Many here will bring up EDs out of concern, but for me it had nothing to do with developing any disordered eating and a lot to do with trusting MFP and, more importantly, myself. I can eat my 1200 and continue to lose weight. Eating 1200 will not mean that I will then lose control and eat 4,000 calories. More than anything I had to prove to myself that I could eat the way a "normal person" eats. Because I'm in it for life. I'm sure that you are too.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

You recognize this though - and that's a very good thing.

When I started cutting back my calories, I overdid it too. All the other methods of weight loss I'd tried were so complicated and not sustainable for me. Temptations were everywhere... And then along came this philosophy that I could still eat what I wanted and be full, I just had to eat less than what I had been.

It was so easy, I felt like I was doing something wrong, so I purposefully made it harder on myself.

I'm not sure if that personal anecdote is relavant to you at all, but it's just an idea.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    The calories you set with MFP is a goal, not a limit. You should seek to hit the calorie goal, not go way above or below it. Eating too few calories can lead you to get burnt out, can negatively affect recovery, can lead to binges, and a whole host of other problems. You may think you are doing yourself a favor by constantly being way under your goal but you aren't. If your goal is set appropriately then hitting it should result in weight loss at an appropriate rate.

This, this.

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What helped for me (not saying I can physically eat my calories every day, but at least it's not a psychological issue anymore) was finding out my maintenance (somewhere between 1950 and 2050, depending on the calculator) and my Basal Metabolic Rate (somewhere between 1250 and 1350). So now I tell myself that if I drop below 1250 (but I try for 1300 at the minimum), I will be hurting myself. I need to eat between 1300 and 1900 every single day in order to make my body happy. And if I stay below 1900, I will loose weight, too. Now, I have never even hit 1500, but it's the thought that counts, and although I have to stay up a little late sometimes so I can force another 100 calories down, I make my bare minimum as much as possible and I feel good knowing that I helped my body grow stronger, healthier and/or better overall :smile: Be kind to your body, please. At the end of the day, that is what this whole journey is about, after all. <3
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Unless you're on a medically restricted diet, try to eat more. Add some cheese. Eat breakfast cereals - so many calories and don't make you feel full.

If you fret over food for no good reason, get the to a doctor ASAP. You can get referrals to dietitians and therapists who specialize in eating disorders. A care team is your best shot at health and happiness.

Don't wait until you're sure you have a problem. Most people aren't sure until it's way too late and they're in the hospital, tied down with tubes down their throats. Hell, even then, some aren't sure they have a problem.

Be smart and seek help now.
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am at 1000 calories before exercise a day. Its great for me. Unless you feel hungry, weak or ill then you are probably eating ok. Now the stress and anxiety is not good or normal and I would suggest speaking to your doctor about it asap