Nutrition Labels and Pre/Post Cooked Weight

Options
KKS1959
KKS1959 Posts: 3 Member
I have a pork roast, the label on the package states that a 112g serving has 180 calories, 9g of fat, 0 carbs, and 22g of protein but I assume this data is for raw, uncooked meat, how do I find out what the data is for this meat after it's been cooked? Does MFP ever differentiate between cooked and uncooked foods in their database?

Replies

• Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You might try searching for "pork roast cooked" in the database. I just tried and there are lots of different options that includes measurements in grams.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Or measure out how much you're cooking raw and measure it again cooked. Pork would likely lose 30-40% of its raw volume via cooking. If you measure 4oz raw, it'd likely be 2.5oz cooked, but the ratio can be calculated based on total weigh raw vs. total weight after cooking. Chicken follows pretty closely to 8oz raw=5oz cooked.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    search "USDA pork roast cooked" in the database and see what it comes up with.

most serving sizes are for dry/uncooked weight unless otherwise stated...although the calorie difference is fairly negligible in my experience.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For all meat, I weigh it raw and cooked. I divide the raw weight by the cooked weight. I take that number and multiply it by the weight of the cooked serving I intend to eat. I swear it's super simple.

As an example, I have 32 ounces of raw chicken thighs. When cooked, I have 24 ounces. That gives me a quotient of 1.33. I weigh out 6 ounces of cooked chicken, so I log 8 ounces (rounding up from 7.98).