Anyone else get REALLY thirsty all of the time?

Options
I do drink quite a lot anyway, but this last week my thirst has been nearly unquenchable. Could this be related to weight loss?

I have been checked for diabetes several times due to excessive thirst and family history, but I've always checked out as normal.

I'm drinking so much water, though and am still so thirsty!

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medication at all? Thirst in excess seems to be a very common side effect.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I did have this last year, ended up having loads of blood tests and being diagnosed with hypothyroidism and vitamin B12 deficiency. I'm not sure it's a usual symptom of either but went away once I started my medication.
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hmm I've not long come off a course or iron tablets for low iron.

I've recently had some antiviral medication, but finished them over a week ago.

Otherwise nothing. I don't know whether to go to the dr or not (I seem to have gone a lot lately.. So don't want to go back over nothing!). Was hoping people would say it's the fat being washed out!!!
  • Wildstorms
    Options
    I've been taking multi vitamins.

It's like I drink, but it doesn't stop me feeling thirsty and it just goes straight through me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Since I was a baby, I've been thirstier than others. I almost never get REALLY thirsty, because it drink constantly. It's idiopathic. I've never known anything else, so it doesn't bother me. :)
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You may not be getting enough potassium.
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Drinking too much can wash out water soluble vitamins and minerals so check that you are eating more of the foods that supply these nutrients to prevent deficiencies.
  • Wildstorms
    Options
    Thank you. I had diagnosed myself with all sorts after googling! I've just taken a vitamin. It's like my mouth eats the water, but my body doesn't! Very strange.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    How much are you actually drinking, in glasses or ounces?

If you are a larger or more active person, 8 glasses might not be nearly enough, especially in the summer.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Overweight and thirsty

Two very common symptoms of diabetes

Easy to check for but can be quite bad if you let it go

Look it up

Thirst is a symptom.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Nobody likes a thirsty girl.
  • Wildstorms
    Options
    500 ml bottles (refilled throughout the day).

1-3 per night (but wake up very thirsty anyway). Yesterday, I got through at least 10 bottles plus other drinks. Drank one bottle on the way to work and refilled throughout the day.

I've recently upped my activity levels and it is quite hot. I'm trying to work out what is normal. As I said I've bee checked for diabetes (inc during pregnancy) and it's always been negative, but it runs in the family.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    It's really strange, I started drinking a lot more water when I started this weight loss journey..far more than before it..who knows? But water is good so maybe just rest easy?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Wildstorms wrote: »
    500 ml bottles (refilled throughout the day).

1-3 per night (but wake up very thirsty anyway). Yesterday, I got through at least 10 bottles plus other drinks. Drank one bottle on the way to work and refilled throughout the day.

I've recently upped my activity levels and it is quite hot. I'm trying to work out what is normal. As I said I've bee checked for diabetes (inc during pregnancy) and it's always been negative, but it runs in the family.

500 ml is about 2 cups...so you might be in the 20-cup-per-day range. That's probably not risky unless you are a really tiny person. Drinking that much is not abnormal for the circumstances, but still being thirsty afterwards is unusual.

I've been dealing with 36-37C temperatures, which is similar to what the weather has been like in the UK lately. I'm also very active. It's not unusual for me to drink 16-18 glasses of water plus 6-8 cups of coffee. It's a lot, but not completely ridiculous under the circumstances. Most people would have to drink more to get water poisoning.

Here's what I would suggest:
    1. Start tracking your water and other fluids carefully. Use the notes section of your food tracker to annotate if necessary.
    2. Try having one serving a day of Gatorade or other electrolyte solution. Gatorade has a low-calorie version. Note whether or not this changes your level of thirst. If your electrolytes are slightly off, this is an easy/cheap fix.
    3. Run this by your pharmacist--they can tell you about drug interactions and give you a good idea about next steps.
    4. If the issue continues, especially after the heat goes away, mention it to your doctor. There are some other explanations besides diabetes and you might need additional testing of your kidneys or endocrine system.
    5. In the mean time, if you get a bad headache, start feeling disoriented/confused or if the people around you notice that you are not acting like yourself, get medical help that same day.
  • blarson82
    blarson82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Google Diabetes insipidus.
    It is generally genetic and can be diagnosed with a simple blood draw at your Drs.
    But again no one likes dr Google so take this with a grain of salt.