Fitbit HR Vs. Garmin VivoSmart

Options
ceit1776
ceit1776 Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am curious if anyone has done any tests to see how close calories burned readings are between the Fitbit HR and the Vivosmart w/o using the chest strap during normal daily activities.

From the reviews I have read, it sounds like the FitBit is worthless for recording work-out heart rates, but I was curious if the information it provides the rest of the day really makes THAT big a difference is calories burned accuracy.

Thanks!

Replies

• dep2301
    dep2301 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi . I cannot comment on the garmin but have just return my second Fitbit !! And got a refund. First was a flex which would not charge at all so opted for a charge HR which was excellent for 2 weeks then the screen failed . Fitbit have really good apps and the products are good BUT I think are lacking resilience. I have gone back to Polar. Have a look at the A300 which I have just ordered from Amazon.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    The Garmin vivosmart is pretty cool in that you can read your text messages and screen your calls. You can change songs on your player. It will tell you when you need to replace your running shoes based on mileage. It factors Active Caloroes which is more conservative than the MFP software

Yada Yada....

It is still a gizmo.

I also have an old school FT 40 Polar heart rate monitor which is more bare bones but I like better for HRM.

After a year in working out I don't use either that much.

Map my run tracks running

Map my ride maps bicycling data

MFP nor a heart rate monitor is good for weight training

And my phone tracks steps

My opinion is that the toys just help you own and monitor your workout. If that helps you stick with it and get heathy then It is money well spent.

I can do without them, except for the text message and incoming App previews

If I'm getting a message from someone I want to talk to,.. Then it is worth it!!

Social media value in workout gear

Ha!

Ha!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    ceit1776 wrote: »
    From the reviews I have read, it sounds like the FitBit is worthless for recording work-out heart rates, but I was curious if the information it provides the rest of the day really makes THAT big a difference is calories burned accuracy.

I lost the weight & have maintained for a year thanks to MFP + Fitbit. The only way to gauge the accuracy is to enable negative calorie adjustments, trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

Fitbits calculate your TDEE and sync with MFP. Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users