How to decrease my 5k time?

Options
Any tips on increasing my 5k jog time? I recently jogged a 5k race in which I practiced for about 8 weeks for. I have continued to jog 3.2 miles 3-4 times a week however my times continue to be worse than my 5k race time and it isn't showing improvement. I do have a little negative self talk going on that I'm working on however I'm looking for other tips that might get me back to improving my time.

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Maybe incorporating some interval sprints or some sort of fartlek training might help...
    It's great to be able to finish a 5k (I can't without slowing to a walk several times during the distance) so be proud of yourself for what you HAVE accomplished and improvement takes practice. So be safe out there and enjoy it for what it is, not what you 'can't'!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I think the idea about adding intervals is a great one. I'd do that one day a week.
    I'd also look at increasing your overall distance (by small increments each week) to over 3.2 miles- maybe up to 4 or 5 miles.
    Also, make sure you have at least one day of complete rest and recovery each week so your muscles can do their job when you ask them to.
    Runner's World has some running plans and advice that you can look at to see what might work for you.
    Good luck!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that helped me improve my 5K time has been really adding protein to my diet and doing hill work in my training regimen. On days we don't have a hill to work (like rainy days), we do the P90X legs/back disc. We put in one hill day a week. I've seen a huge jump in my time. A whole minute/mile difference.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    There's lots of research available online.. I like Runner's World magazine (they have a website too). All my research says you should have three runs per week. One should be an "easy" run, meaning slower than your race pace. The next should be a "tempo" or "speedwork" run, a slightly longer run than the first one in which you warm up slowly and then either do sprints or just push your tempo for the middle, then cool down (maybe go for 4 miles total). The third should be a "long" run. This should be longer than the other two, but also a little slower. You should work up to this and add only 10% per week or every other week until you get those runs up to 5-6 miles. I know you're working on a 5k, but if you can run 6 miles slower, you can kill the 5k races!!! I've been using the Runner's World Smartcoach app (you can also access online) and it's great for coaching you through the next race, getting faster, going longer.. whatever you want!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I never run as fast while "training" as I do during a race. Race day endorphins, keeping up with the crowd, plus the thrill of passing people always makes me faster.
  • Tiffany2004
    Tiffany2004 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the GREAT advice!!!!!:smile:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    The advice about intervals/Fartlek/hill training is right on the money, and you need to get one long slow run in each week - add 5 minutes per week to your average running time now (so if you normally run 30 minutes, week one your long run would be 35 minutes, week 2, 40 minutes, etc...) - don't do the speed work on your long run day - it may seem counterintuitive, but the long run helps build your endurance and makes shorter runs easier (so you can go faster). Also, I found that weight training really helps boost my times (squats and lunges with weights, or the equivalent machines). Good luck!