Calorie Question

Options
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I am new to all this. Ok so I have my daily calorie goal set at 1220 and I work out doing like a circuit training 4 nights a week and lift weights 2-3 times a week. I just started about 3 weeks ago but I am 5'7" and started at 228lbs but am down to 216lbs. I guess my question is am I taking in enough calories? Most days I stay right around my 1220 goal but I'm not sure with working out if that's enough because I'm not sure how this all works. Like for example if I take in 1200 calories, but burnt 400 working out do I need to take in more calories or not? My goal is to get down to 140lbs which was my weight before having three children. If anyone has a moment to answer this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you are burning 400 calories working out, you need to eat those 400 calories as well as the 1220.
  • Inspiredtobe
    Inspiredtobe Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nope you do not need to eat back all the calories you lose but be sure to eat at least 1200 calories a day. So you're doing great and good luck on getting to your goal weight. You can do it! (:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I am new to all this. Ok so I have my daily calorie goal set at 1220 and I work out doing like a circuit training 4 nights a week and lift weights 2-3 times a week. I just started about 3 weeks ago but I am 5'7" and started at 228lbs but am down to 216lbs. I guess my question is am I taking in enough calories? Most days I stay right around my 1220 goal but I'm not sure with working out if that's enough because I'm not sure how this all works. Like for example if I take in 1200 calories, but burnt 400 working out do I need to take in more calories or not? My goal is to get down to 140lbs which was my weight before having three children. If anyone has a moment to answer this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

It is not unusual to see some wider swings in scale weight when starting a program. A lot of it has to do with fluid shifts.

If you are just starting out, and given your weight (I am assuming your body fat % is pretty high), I doubt that you will suffer any negative effects for now from following a larger calorie deficit. However, you could run into some issues with chronic fatigue if you do not have enough fuel for your workouts and, as you progress, 1220 is probably not the best calorie level with that kind of exercise routine. If you are starting at 228 lbs, you could probably eat 1500-1600 calories a day and still lose weight quickly. From my experience, I am starting to believe that, esp with beginners, it's the low-calorie levels (e.g. 1200/day) that cause problems more than the excessive deficits. Personally, I would try going with a larger daily intake and just ignore the exercise calories (unless it's a really long or strenuous workout). You'll eat better and I suspect you will continue to steadily lose weight.
  • triciacline921
    triciacline921 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the advice. I think I will raise my goal to 1400 and try to stay around it. Hopefully that will be ok. Thanks a ton!!

3783204.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dawnmarieee
    dawnmarieee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. Also, be sure that eat healthy foods. It can be tempting to fill up with not-so healthy foods to meet your calorie range. Try to get lots of veggies, lean meat, etc. Protein!!