Clothes fitting while loosing weight

Options
I'm not sure how to word this question, so please bare with me.

Right now I'm around 230, my goal is 120. I know I wont drop that much weight quickly, but regardless I will still be losing weight so I wont be wearing the same size forever.

I don't have a job at the moment and soon, I will be heading to college. My aunt is giving me money to go shopping for clothes before I head off to college, but I don't want to buy clothes I can fit now, just to get out of them in a month or so.

The only thing I can think of right now is to get a bunch of leggings and stretchy clothes. For people that don't have access to a lot of money (like me) how do you keep your clothes fitting, or get clothes that'll look right regardless on how much weight you lose?

I hope this makes sense.

Replies

• Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat-started at 230 and currently down to 189. Leggings and stretchy clothes are what I'm wearing. I do have a couple of cute floaty shirts that I wear over stretchy sleeveless tops. Regular pants are tricky, a belt might help. They make clothes with grow seams for little kids; too bad they don't make the reverse for folks trying to slim down! :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    You might try second-hand stores.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i'd go with the stretchy Leggings etc.
    OR, look for bargains in the Sales......so you don't spend too much.
    Here in the UK, almost all the Stores are having early Summer Sales at the moment.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've not changed size much on the top half, but have gone down a couple of sizes on the bottom half. I've been getting a couple of pairs of trousers as and when the last ones are looking too big from charity shops. You often get things in really good condition, sometimes even with the tags on at a fraction of the price new.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight you should do ebay / 2nd hand
  • xNausicaa
    xNausicaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I'll just stick to leggings and whatnot and I'll definitely go to second hand stores. Thanks for being helpful :D
  • sarahkarigo
    sarahkarigo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You might try second-hand stores.

100%
    You will feel your best if you maintain your style. Proper fitting clothes will do wonders to show off your weight loss to others before you may notice any big differences. The positive reinforcement starts and you cant help but to keep going!
    Doesnt need to be fancy... Just needs to fit.

I started at 195 and I just hit 170. I shop at second hand stores and just buy a piece or two at a time to gradually build and maintain a wardrobe that fits.
  • hildaadair
    hildaadair Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've lost about 25 kilos and I'm only just having this problem. The best way I've avoided it is that I KNOW my chest measurement hardly changes (I was born with big boobs and have done the major weightloss thing twice now and neither time did any more than a few centimetres come off my chest.) so knowing that I bought things like leggings and tops or dresses that were bo-ho/gyspey styled, fitted to the chest and then free flowing from below. Obviously I don't know what your body is like but I thought that might help you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    But a few items at a time as you go so that you can look and feel great at each step :)
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was quite fortunate that I already had a lot of clothes that were a bit too small and I've slimmed into, I find having a few bits that fit and can work with your too-big stuff works really well. Have a few things that fit you well, preferably second-hand or cheaply, and work out what you can do with things that are too big to make them work now.
    As you shrink those things you bought to fit you now will become the too-big things you know how to adapt. ;)

It's easy to make a too-big dress work with a belt or nice cardigan, and you can sort tops the same way especially if they're ones that have a tie at the back to bring in the waist. Buying that sort of thing to fit your body now should cover you even while you're smaller too as you'll know how to tweak it. Pair with some leggings or stretchy trousers and job done.
    I have a really nice dress that is two sizes too big for me now but I can still wear with a belt and cardigan, it's been great during the summer here.

If you feel confident in them high waisted jeans or skirts are good investment. I'm in the 180s and wear high waisted bottoms a lot, as I can tuck my too-big tops into them for a vintage look. :smile:

Baggy t-shirts are a god send too. They look cute with leggings and a cardigan or jacket, and will cover you for a range of sizes.