UTI Help!!

Options
Does anyone have any tips on how to make a UTI feel any better? Any advice would be much appreciated

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Azo over the counter pills for relief, usually near tampons and stuff at pharmacies. Drink a lot of water and lower your sugar and caffeine intake if possible. I tend to up my vitamin C intake, too, and as a preventative measure, drink lots of water regularly and don't hold your pee for too long.
  • minkky
    minkky Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Drink a ton of water. I always take this stuff called cran-actin. Sometimes you can find it with uva-ursi or golden seal. If it's severe or you have a red tinge to your urine, just go to the doctor and get some antibiotics. I hope you feel better.
  • amdawells
    amdawells Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Alka-Seltzer ... at least for me this works really fast! I read this remedy out of a Women's magazine years ago. I still use this to alleviate & get rid of them quickly. I can't take cranberry anything, for me, it brings on a UTI.
    @megan_dotson Hope you get feeling better soon!!
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Cranberry juice and an antibiotic
  • megan_dotson
    megan_dotson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Cranberry juice. You can also get cranberry pills.

You may also want to go to a medical aid unit if you can't get in with your doctor and get some antibiotics. I used to get UTI's all the time after my first daughter was born. They're uncomfortable and I just can't stand the pain. As soon I got the first symptoms I'd go and get seen because I just couldn't take it anymore. But cranberry and lots of water helps alot.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If you have a UTI, you should go to the doctor and get an antibiotic. Make sure to finish the full course of the medication.

A home remedy for the pain/urgency (that tastes foul but relieves symptoms somewhat) is a mixture of a little bit (just a little) of baking soda with three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. It is horrible tasting, but seems to help with the pain. Keep in mind that vinegar is not very good for your teeth, so if you do this 1) rinse out your mouth 2) don't brush your teeth immediately afterwards.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    uristat works for me. if it doesn't clear up in a day after that then I call the dr
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I always used AZO pills and a pain reliever, I used to get them bad in high school. I hate cranberry juice so I always purchased cranberry pills. Drink lots of water, never hold it when you need to use the restroom..if your pee seems to be really dark or reddish, you should go to the doctor. The last one I got I tried tons of home remedies instead of going to the doc and it turned into a severe bladder infection, which is WAY worse. Your best bet is to go to the doc and get some antibiotics if you can. UTI's are awful. :( I'm sorry!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I always used AZO pills and a pain reliever, I used to get them bad in high school. I hate cranberry juice so I always purchased cranberry pills. Drink lots of water, never hold it when you need to use the restroom..if your pee seems to be really dark or reddish, you should go to the doctor. The last one I got I tried tons of home remedies instead of going to the doc and it turned into a severe bladder infection, which is WAY worse. Your best bet is to go to the doc and get some antibiotics if you can. UTI's are awful. :( I'm sorry!

though be aware that many over the counter remedies will turn your urine dark. mine was neon orange last time I used the Azo but others have turned dark red.

• Rudenurse88
    Rudenurse88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Please go to the doctor to get a prescription for an antibiotic to kill the infection. Drink water and cranberry juice and eat yogurt while you are on the antibiotic to avoid yeast infection. If you only buy OTC remedies to ease symptoms, the infection may spread to your ureters or kidneys and cause inflammation (pyelonephritis), an even WORSE infection.
  • megan_dotson
    megan_dotson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I seriously appreciate everyones advice thanks!
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Please go to the doctor to get a prescription for an antibiotic to kill the infection. Drink water and cranberry juice and eat yogurt while you are on the antibiotic to avoid yeast infection. If you only buy OTC remedies to ease symptoms, the infection may spread to your ureters or kidneys and cause inflammation (pyelonephritis), an even WORSE infection.

+1

I once thought I'd handled the problem myself, but nope. Suddenly blood in my pee-full on kidney infection. NOT FUN. Get antibiotics.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options

+1

I once thought I'd handled the problem myself, but nope. Suddenly blood in my pee-full on kidney infection. NOT FUN. Get antibiotics.

Agreed. I did give a suggestion for helping relieve the pain, but it was not intended to replace going to the doctor.

I feel so bad for women (well, all people, but for this topic especially women) before there were antibiotics.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    P.S. If you've never taken the Azo tablets, just a pro-tip:

Wear dark underwear and don't freak out if what comes out looks like Sunkist.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You can make symptoms go away, but without antibiotics, it'll come back. I've had a chronic UTI, I do not recommend it! And you need to go to a doctor to get the right antibiotics. Some types work best for one strain but not others. You want to make sure you're getting the right type for whatever strain you have.

Uristat works for me, as well as drinking a LOT of fluids. Honestly, cranberry did nothing for me, either drinking it or eating it. Your millage may vary.