Exercising at home

Options
What are some of the better exercises that can be done at home? I have a gym membership but have fallen on hard times and haven't been able to pay it. So I want to know what are some good exercises that I can do at home until I'm able to pay for my membership. No dvd's just simple exercises that I can do at home with no equipment.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    run, go hiking, walk the dog, buy a weight set, get a workout dvd, there is a fitness channel to that has workouts
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Push-Ups, Pull-Ups, Ab exercises, Swimming, Skipping, Running, Bicycling.

There are some free videos on youtube for the beachbody p90x program. May want to check 'em out.
  • secogeni
    secogeni Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Check out hundredpushups.com and the related websites for situps, etc. They've got some great programs for doing strength training at home that don't require a whole lot of time. They even have a way for you to rank yourself so that you can go at the pace that's best for you. And of course, the couch to 5k program is a great one too if you're not used to running for long periods of time.
  • jorgenjer
    jorgenjer Posts: 1
    Options
    There are tons of no-equipment exercises like supine bicycle, crunches, push-ups, etc, which you could have good instructions on from free online fitness magazines. Probably a lot on youtube as well. Really I would suggest trying out some video blog workouts you can grab on your computer. Do you have iTunes? there are some good yoga video podcasts there too.
  • moremari
    moremari Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Exercising at home is huge for me. It saves loads of time. My go to exercise is my stationary bike, I usually watch a action movie or try to read, but that only works the legs. Next I turn on exercise TV, comcast has a good list. Lots to choose from: yoga, pilates, aerobics, ones called 10 pound slim down. This has about 5 different body areas to choose from, upper, lower, etc. Then I hike the hills near my house or take the dog for a walk. Hope you enjoy your next workout.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    What are some of the better exercises that can be done at home? I have a gym membership but have fallen on hard times and haven't been able to pay it. So I want to know what are some good exercises that I can do at home until I'm able to pay for my membership. No dvd's just simple exercises that I can do at home with no equipment.

I do recommend in investing in some equipment. Power bands are awesome, thought they where for sissies. But they're great. They maintain resistance through the entire range of motion. Unlike weights, which will make it a more intense workout.

Calisthenic are good exercises too, there are quiet a few, check them out online.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Get something like the 30-Day Shred, and do it with hand weights. That should give you a good enough workout at home, and couple it with running outside.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    pushups, pullups, squats, lunges, knee to opposite elbow (standing), single leg hip bridges, planks and supermans.

That should cover just about whole body :)
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    pushups, pullups, squats, lunges, knee to opposite elbow (standing), single leg hip bridges, planks and supermans.

That should cover just about whole body :)

good set of calisthenic exercises.. You can also do narrow pushups to work more of the tricep, and also do unhand pullups to work the biceps more.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I bought Zumba, TurborFire and Charlean Extreme off Ebay for a total of $200 with shipping, plus some adjustable weights from WalMart.com for $22 shipped. I have everything I need for killer work outs at home.

Check out Ebay, the prices are great!
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    walking with interval sprints of jogging.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Subscribe to Women's Health or Shape Magazine. They have different exercises each month that can be done at home with little or no equipment. They are challenging and for me it's easier to have something to follow than try to make up circuits myself. You can even find some online and print them if you don't want to pay for the magazine.