Polar A300

Options
i wondered if anyone is using s Polar A300 and what your experiences are? After 2 failed Fitbit devices I have looked elsewhere and settled on Polar due to cost and Amazon reviews. Principally my fitness is walking about 5 miles a day and spinning 4 times a week whilst watching my calorie intake on MFP.
any feedback on the Polar A300 would be useful and how easy it is to link to MFP ?
How long is the battery life?
Accuracy of step count? HRM?

I have not seen the Polar software yet and am interested in users experience ?
Thank you
Simon.

Replies

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help you, while I don't have the 300, I have V800, my battery last about a month. My step count gets off when I'm on the elliptical, but that's pretty much with any arm pedometer, other than that it's pretty accurate. The HRM is also very accurate. the software is pretty straight forward. Linking to MFP is where it gets tricky, I think it only work with apple software right now.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with the A300, I have a Loop, buy I can confirm that MFP only links with Polar Flow on iOS, does not work at all on Android.
  • chelshull22
    chelshull22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the polar m400 which I believe is the same as the a300 but has gps. It's great! I went through a Fitbit and a polar f4 and I'm much happier with the m400. I feel it is very accurate with heart rate, calls burned and the gps is great in the m400. I can't speak for the steps because I do not wear it all day. It is much too big for me to wear outside of fitness (unlike the Fitbit). That's really it's only downfall. The polar flow app is so great too, you can look at so many features of your workout: heart rate, calls burned, pace and altitude (prob only in gps version). Also you can monitor your progress and look at weekly stats etc. It also syncs easily and charges quickly with your computer. The battery lasts me about a week only because I work out quite often, about 2 hours a day on constant heart rate monitoring. I bet if you weren't using the HR monitor all the time and just used it as a tracker it would last much longer.
  • dep2301
    dep2301 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies and advice. I'm waiting not too patiently for Amazon to deliver my A300 so I'll post feedback
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    dep2301 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies and advice. I'm waiting not too patiently for Amazon to deliver my A300 so I'll post feedback

Please do, I'm thinking of upgrading to the A300 from my Loop. I think the A300 vibrates when it's time to move, which would be awesome and it's more "watch like" which would be helpful too.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    dep2301 wrote: »

Please do, I'm thinking of upgrading to the A300 from my Loop. I think the A300 vibrates when it's time to move, which would be awesome and it's more "watch like" which would be helpful too.

I upgraded to the A300 from the Loop and I feel like I made the right choice. It vibrates and chirps when it is time to move (it is like a 4 or 5 minute warning before you get the one hour inactivity stamp). I also like that it is more watch like and you can see more data on the actual watch. I received mine on June 9th, and I have only had to charge it once so far, much better than the 3-5 days with the Loop. It is certainly more bulky than the Loop and when I first put it on I was scared I made the wrong choice but I am used to it now.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    mkwrose wrote: »

I upgraded to the A300 from the Loop and I feel like I made the right choice. It vibrates and chirps when it is time to move (it is like a 4 or 5 minute warning before you get the one hour inactivity stamp). I also like that it is more watch like and you can see more data on the actual watch. I received mine on June 9th, and I have only had to charge it once so far, much better than the 3-5 days with the Loop. It is certainly more bulky than the Loop and when I first put it on I was scared I made the wrong choice but I am used to it now.

Thanks for the info! That confirms everything I was thinking. Hey you should check out the polar group on MFP. Not much action, but it's a good resource for finding people to interact with on flow! Here I am,
    https://flow.polar.com/training/profiles/9015587
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    I had mine on vibrate, used to irritate the heck out of me, 20000 steps and it's telling me I need to move (LOL)
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    I had mine on vibrate, used to irritate the heck out of me, 20000 steps and it's telling me I need to move (LOL)

Wow, I'd be a little put off too! LOL
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    yea it would seem after 10000 maybe that would go away (LOL)
  • CricketClover
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I thought that was funny too. It would tell me to get moving after I had been sitting for an hour, but after a hike where I climbed 3000+ ft with 21000+ steps and burned almost 3000 cals. Oh buzz off Polar, which I guess it technically did :wink:

Also, for that day I did 800% of my daily activity, I liked seeing that!
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    I thought that was funny too. It would tell me to get moving after I had been sitting for an hour, but after a hike where I climbed 3000+ ft with 21000+ steps and burned almost 3000 cals. Oh buzz off Polar, which I guess it technically did :wink:

Holy crap! Wow!!
  • CricketClover
    Options

Holy crap! Wow!!

It's because I was wearing my HRM too, I guess if it was just basing that on steps it wouldn't be so high.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    edited July 2015
    Options

Wow, I've done 200%, was getting around 150% on a regular basis, did a Vo2 test and now it's down to 130%. My work out was getting me to 100, but now it's between 80 and 90.

• XavierNusum
    Options

Wow, and I've done 200%, was getting around 150% on a regular basis, did a Vo2 test and now it's down to 130%. My work out was getting me to 100, but now it's between 80 and 90.

I need to do that, the Vo2 test or just up my activity level. Just for the challenge of really working hard for 100%.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    I had the loop, and that was the only draw back to it. not being able to do the Vo2 test. I'm thinking bout going to get one done by a fitness health doctor just to see how accurate it is.
  • dep2301
    Options
    PolarA300 1 week on.
    Well it arrived and was reasonably easy to set up but you need a computer with a USB to "register" it . Bit of a problem as my main computer is an iPad. I pressed an old netbook into action but it was very slow - probably more my old netbook than Polaris site.m
    Once done I have found it to be great for counting steps once it learns your stride . It does not count floors.
    The Bluetooth HRM which came with my A300 is comfy to wear and syncs with the A300 and gym spin bikes seamlessly.
    The polar app is easy to use but I am finding the sync with the polar flow site to be lumpy
    I preferred the Fitbit app which gave was more straightforward and pictorially easier to read but that's just personal choice.
    The polar app with the heart rate graph is good and it also captures average and maximum heart rate.
    Syncing polar exercise with my fitness pal has been really quick and I like how there is no complicated algorithm - it just pulls across your polar exercise into mfp - the Fitbit used a complicated method which I did not understand.
    Battery life for the A300 has been superb - I charged it on 8 July and today 14 July it is showing three quarters charge left.
    Comfort wise the A300 is fine
    So overall very pleased with my new gadget
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    That's awesome to hear! I have a bday coming up and I'm tempted to beg for an A300 myself.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    I've found that if you open the flow app first it's easier to sync.
  • dep2301
    Options
    Hi thanks scuba Steve . Do you mean have it open as you are syncing to the app ?