Meals for one?! Give me ideas :)

Options
Ok so I'm starting out and I've already made what I consider a pretty good grocery trip. I'll be honest, I don't want to do much more than throwing it together or LIGHT cooking. Nobody will be eating it besides me and if I have to cook I at least want to get a couple meals out of it. Tell me some of y'all's meals and things that y'all always pick up when you grocery shop. Thanks dolls!

Replies

• bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies and sweet potatoes that can be roasted and thrown into omelets, noodles, paired with rotisserie chicken or bulk grilled chicken...which is a time saver too! I love having grilled or rotisserie chicken on hand for wraps, southwest egg rolls (freeze well!), salads.
    Egg roll recipe:
    http://www.onestrangeherd.com/southwest-baked-chicken-eggrolls/

Egg sandwiches are my fave easy weeknight meal too with a bit of mozzarella and banana peppers, no mayo.
  • maggielee182
    maggielee182 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I love it
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am trying to start meal prepping and noti don't want to havea lot of waste as I am only one eating. Add me if you like and we might get some good ideas together. Today I did spaghetti squash & turkey spaghetti sauce and egg salad stuffed in mini sweet peppers and baked oatmeal. Trying to find healthy meals to prep
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You can check out my diary. Lot of veggies. I make something that tastes like hamburger helper except with ground turkey and zucchini and squash (laughing cow cheese mixed with a cholula chipotle sauce makes some creamy goodness). Taco/fajita salads.
  • maggielee182
    maggielee182 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I Looove zucchini and squash. See I was just talking with my brother about how I cannot deprive myself of things I like, or this absolutely will not be successful for me. Because I love food. I just have to eat in moderation and tweak some of the things I like
  • aflores0808
    aflores0808 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fast and easy. I buy skinless chicken breasts, cut them into bite size pieces and freeze them in single serve glass containers (Anchor). Either take out a single serving the night before to defrost or do so in the microwave. I sauté in olive oil and when pink doesn't show I add 1 cup to 2 cups of my favorite frozen vegetables. Add seasoning. I use Trader Joes 21 seasoning salute. Should be done in 2 minutes.
    Entire process takes no longer than 10 minutes. High in protein and good for you.

You could also use shrimp instead. They cook up really fast
  • nonnahs123
    nonnahs123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite new lunches is a can of tuna mixed with laughing cow cheese, rolled up in a few leaves of cabbage. Filling and under 200 cals.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I live alone and I batch cook. Making a single meal is a waste of time. I cook all the things I would make if I had a bunch of people here and freeze single serve portions. Bonus: except for steaming veggies, I only cook every few weeks.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I'm a big trader joe's fan... I buy frozen veg., frozen fish (Swai - chop it into individual portions) frozen mashed potatoes. I'll grab a portion of each from the freezer and microwave... and 3 minutes later voila dinner.

Okay for proteins, my go tos are frozen: fish, shrimp, turkey meatballs, veggie burgers, chicken sausage, lime chili chicken patties,
    For starches, mostly: frozen mashed potatoes, regular potato, sweet potato (baked in the mic); noodles, millet, rices, breads.

Sometimes I do pastas and grains on the stove they take 10 - 20 min, by the time that's done I've gathered + prepped all my other ingredients.
  • kaiwooglin
    kaiwooglin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I would cook for just myself, I'd do a lot of salmon, mixed veggies, and brown rice. I'd actually use the Gorton fish packs, uncle Ben's 90second rice pack, and steam veggies in a bag. 2 meals and all would cook in less than 10 minutes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fresh and frozen fruits and veggies. Lean, white meats. Whole wheat bread. Low-fat dairy.

If you don't learn to cook and want to eat healthy, you're going to get really sick of the food really fast, I think.