Why does my weight loss slow down or stop when I exercise?

Options
Hi there!

I have been trying to find a balance between exercise and weigh loss. When I exercise... I've been doing JM's 30 Day Shred... I'll lose weight, stay the same for 2-3 weeks and then lose a little more - usually between 1-2 lbs. When I took a week off from exercising (did this twice), I found that I lost more weight during that week than when I was exercising. Recently I revamped my diet, based on doctor's orders, and found that I lost over 4 lbs the first week and have consistently lost between 1.4-1.8 lbs every week since WITHOUT exercising. The week I started back exercising is the week I lost 1.4 lbs... the lowest loss since revamping my diet. So now I'm totally confused. I want to exercise because I feel good doing it and working my body plus I want to tone up and build muscle strength but at the same time, I don't want to hinder my weight loss because it's finally starting to come off in a normal, consistent way. This seems backwards to me... shouldn't it be the more you exercise (within reason), the more you lose?

FYI - I eat 1200 calories per day. When I was exercising, I tried (a) eating back most of the calories I burned, (b) eating back half the calories I burned, and (c) not eating back any of the calories I burned but the weight loss was the same as I described above (before the diet revamp). I ate well before the revamp but I have eliminated some foods due to allergies recently discovered. I have a thyroid problem for which I'm taking medication and a health issue (PCOS) that makes it a bit harder to lose weight. Lastly, I have about 65 lbs to lose to reach my goal weight.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Replies

• kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You probably have muscle gain when you're exercising. There's still probably as much or more fat loss. A lot of times, a tape measure is a better way to judge your progress than the scale.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think the issue is, that in your recovery period, your muscles are still repairing and burning up the calories.
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses!

@kendf60 - I have considered this but, at the same time, since I am so overweight shouldn't I still be losing weight on a weekly basis? At least a little instead of plateauing for 2-3 weeks. I don't want to remain the same weight and just get really muscular... :laugh:

@asmcriminal - That makes a lot of sense for the big losses during the first week off but what about the last three weeks when I haven't been exercising and am still losing 1.4-1.8 lbs without plateauing like before?

Don't mind my questioning, I'm really trying to figure this out... it's very frustrating.
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    It's very difficult to actually build muscle while on a calorie deficit, chances are you are toning more than gaining muscle.
    That said, it is highly likely you are holding onto water!
    You muscle uses water to repair themselves after a workout and will hold onto it until its done! Are you having a rest day or even two?

I tend to do the same thing, i loose weight then stop for 2-3weeks, its frustrating but seems to be the way for me.
    If you drink plenty of water you body will let go of the water retension and you will probably see a loss.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    your body adapts...so of course when you change your routine it'll help break down the stalls

ps Toning IS muscle definition..to get that you must lose fat. There is no such thing as TONING!! quit using this word people.
  • vpurser1
    vpurser1 Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree with both of the people who posted above. You should bear in mind a couple of things.... You are talking about a very slight difference in some of your measurements. The difference you pointed out in your post diet change trend of 0.4 lbs (1.8-1.4) is equivalent to 6oz of water (volume)... thats less than a cup. I weigh myself daily on the same scale that is graduated to .1 lbs and I can tell a big difference if I weigh at different times of the day, if I have had something to eat or drink recently, or if I am wearing sweaty work out clothes, etc. So unless you have done all your weigh ins under the exact same conditions, you are going to get variations. Also, you are dealing with a really small number of data points. The overall trend is what matters. Sounds like there have been a couple of times you have noticed this.... Remember, as your body builds muscle, that tissue weighs more per volume... it also uses more energy per volume even at rest. You body is not just doing one thing at a time, it is building in one place and taking away in another. If I am correct in assuming you have been working on your weight loss from the time you became a MFP member (Nov), then you have lost 30lbs in about 25 weeks. That would be 1.2 lb per week. That is awesome and it seems like those numbers you posted are showing that perhaps you do lose a little more when you are working out. I know sometimes I get caught up in the instant gratification of the scale... I have to remind myself that the real goal is to reach a level of excercise I can maintain and caloric intake that I can enjoy, while reaching (and remaining) my goal weight. Big loses are great, but I am really trying to effect a permanent life change.
    Sorry for the long post. Congrats on your weight loss.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I only walked for my exercise until I had lost 70 lbs. I've always put on muscle fairly easy and would get discouraged too when I'd gain when I started working out. I started c25k and started week 4 today. I also started doing doing some of the Tae Bo DVDs to help tone up a little. I've also gone surfing with my son a few times. I have not done any working out which would tend to increase muscle mass. At 51, I have all the muscle I need and am focusing on a healthier lifestyle that requires more of a lean less bulky body.
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    Sorry mum!

I personally think that having lost 30lbs chances are some of that is fat and therefore there probably is more muscle definition/toning!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions/advice. Much appreciated. :flowerforyou:

kell_riley -- The 30 Day Shred suggests you work out everyday for 30 days - 10 days at each level. So to answer your question, I was NOT taking days off in between my workouts. I know this is a general rule when it comes to training with weights but I didn't think I needed to as per the recommendations. This is something that I'm going to do when I start back exercising tomorrow. I think I will do cardio or something different on the in-between days. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

vpurser1 -- Thank you for putting the weight difference in perspective... it really isn't that much when you look at it like that. Also, I always weigh-in first thing in the morning, in my underwear, after emptying my bladder so I've been consistent there. Lastly, I lost 10 lbs prior to February when I really started using MFP and I started incorporating exercise the first week of March so I've actually lost a little more on average. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely happy with the amount I've lost, I was just trying to figure out why I lose less when exercising as it seemed backwards to me. Now that I've read through these posts, I have a better understanding and have decided to continuing with my exercising on Monday but in a different manner. I, too, am looking for a permanent life change and thank you.

Feel free to add me. :smile: