help..

Options
I hate to exercise.. I just can't get motivated. With work n kids I feel tired all the time. Diabetes n high blood pressure always got me feeling crazy or lazy. I'll get pumped then it will fizzle out. What keeps you all motivated to work out?? Me eating is way better just can't get then ext step in.. ugh

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I always loved this post about motivation. Not everyone agrees, but it applies to me.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead

I need a goal, plain and simple. Not just a goal to look better, a measurable goal. The bigger the goal, the better committed I am (as in, if I don't do the work, there is a very real chance I won't achieve the goal).
    For me, my goals are usually race related. Right now I'm working towards a half Ironman.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Goals and finding things I like to do. I started jogging through couch to 5k in order to run a 5k. Now I'm training for 10k distance to improve my 5k as I have 2 more coming up. I like lifting weights and being able to more. Am working towards a 225 deadlift this summer. Plus, I have goals in the future like kayaking that means I need to work on upper body strength and such. Have other goals also helps me not get too focused on just the scale.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how well I eat my diabetes always acts up and my fasting blood sugar is always high. I hate starting my day with such vad news. When I exercise on a regular basis that's when all my blood sugar are in check. That's what keeps me motivated to see a good fasting blood sugar or a good before after meal reading.
  • karbenblack
    karbenblack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    im shooting for simple walking...nothing more at this point. My doc says 10000 steps a day. i hit that yesterday. But if i get 5000 im happy, 2500 is good. today i hit 5000, but i got most of that while walking back and forth through the house watching "are you smarter than a 5th grader". lol Keep in mind....any movement is better than none at all.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I hate to exercise.. I just can't get motivated. With work n kids I feel tired all the time. Diabetes n high blood pressure always got me feeling crazy or lazy. I'll get pumped then it will fizzle out. What keeps you all motivated to work out??

I'm results-oriented, rather than process-oriented. In other words, i think about the results of doing it (or not doing it), rather than whether i "feel like" doing it. Try writing a list of 10 ways your life will be better after you exercise (health, family, energy, etc), and then list 10 ways your life could be worse if you don't exercise. Refer to your list whenever you "fizzle out". :+1:
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Well, running a household, parenting, and working is a lot, if it's just you. If you have a partner, get them to do more around the house so you have more time/energy for fitness. If you're on your own, you've just got to find a way to do it :/

For me, reducing obstacles helps. My gym is really close by, I have a bunch of workout clothes to rotate, and my shoes and gym bag are by the door. When I did exercise videos, I had them picked out and ready to go. When I walk outdoors, I know which route I'm going to take, so I don't have to spend time deciding, planning, etc. So planning ahead and making things easy helps.

My other thing was making a firm rule that I had to do 30 minutes of activity before going to sleep, no matter how I felt. Not doing that would be the same as not brushing my teeth. (I heard that here once, and it stuck - it's like hygiene, right?) Anything could count, better if it was more vigorous, but walking was fine. As long as I did something.

After a while, the benefits of the stuff I was doing started kicking in, and I had more energy to do more exercise :) Like a virtuous circle. The more I did, the better I felt, the more exercise I felt I could do :)

If you have diabetes and high blood pressure, maybe your meal (and med) timing makes a difference in terms of the windows you have for energy? Maybe take a few days to pay attention to the times of day you have more energy, and plan to work out then. If you're not eating on a regular schedule to manage your blood sugar, maybe that would help?
  • courta2412
    courta2412 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps baby girl..don't overwhelm yourself, that will cause you to quit. Just start with walking for 20 mins a day at least and the next week aim for 45. Keep adding to your walking and eating heathy. :) soon you will be adding push ups and sit ups...or even strength training!