Stuck on cardio.

Options
Xanna89
Xanna89 Posts: 31 Member
I love cardio! I could jog on a treadmill or the streets for miles. I get a really good burn and I don't want to stop. My problem is thats all I do. I don't know how to start weight training. It feels so weird when I try. Like I don't know what I'm doing and I feel stupid. Lol I don't know where to start. How much to start with. Or just basic 101 on weight training. Everyone says I should incorporate it into my routine but where do I start? What do I do? I hope this isn't a stupid question but I need help. I mean do I just hop on a machine and do a a few sets of however much weight I'm able to do?

Replies

• chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a good place to start. Simple plan that only uses the most important heavy compound lifts. You don't necessarily need to follow the plan, but for a beginner it's a good place to get some info on what lifts to do and how to do them.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • kaiwooglin
    kaiwooglin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Get a personal trainer to guide you and show you proper movement.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You are not going to gain much muscle mass on a deficit so 'strength training' is really going to be anything that works the muscles you aren't hitting with cardio. Body weight exercises like push-ups are awesome. Invest in some weights and/or a kettle bell. You get to work those muscles as well as get a good cardio work-out in. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd start with some bodyweight stuff if you're new to it... Google and YouTube are your friends.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I started Strong Lifts six weeks ago and I love it. It's very simple with basic barbell exercises. You can ask anyone at your gym to help you the first time with form, etc.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You could get a lot of benefit at this stage from bodyweight training. If you want to lift weights, there is no shame (imho) in starting out with weight machine circuits. You can probably get someone at the gym to walk you through the machines and how to use them. If you want to use free weights, it may be a good idea to book some sessions with a trainer to get your form down--or so I hear. I've never done free weights.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    I'd start with some bodyweight stuff if you're new to it... Google and YouTube are your friends.
    This. Pushups, body squats, etc. are a great way to start learning basic strength. Just make sure you get form down correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png