Lossing weight with hypothyroid

Options
2»

Replies

• katyconn123
    katyconn123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi I have hypothyroidism, diagnosed 3 yrs ago, was on 100gm levothyroxine, I get vitamin b12 injections every three months, Im also on 75grm of fluoxitine which was increased at start of the yr I have been on iron tablets , vitamin c tablets in the past gained 2stone + ,,, since Feb this yr I have lost 1 stone 2lbs it's coming off slowly, but it is coming off since last month I'm on 150gms levothyroxine has helped with exhaustion and fatigue, I must admit I'm having many more better days
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If your body doesn't burn calories like other people's bodies do, then you might have to eat 700-900 calories/day in order to lose. This is especially difficult when your body is also sluggish and craving more and more food for energy as well as nutrients. You might even say that it can't be done.

That's just the tip of the hypothyroid iceberg.

Some people really and truly cannot lose weight and all the logging in the world won't help.

There are those who just accept no excuses. Even if you're dead, you should be able to lose. There are those who had a thyroid issue and lost weight and say, "Everyone must be just like me, so if I can lose, everyone else can, too!" But different people have different issues. Even the same person can have changes that affect their ability to gain or lose weight when it comes to thyroid issues.

You will choose to believe whatever you want and I'm not going to harp on it or argue it. But I wanted to say it, all the same.

A woman should eat 1000 calories per day as a bare minimum. 1200 is the recommended norm. Advocating a diet of less than 1000 is dangerous and should only ever be attempted under close medical supervision.

I have Hashimoto's, so I understand your concerns, OP. If you are properly medicated, you can lose weight, albeit perhaps at a slower rate. Please don't risk your body and your health by starving yourself. That's just plain stupid.

This. All thryoid issues, even in people without thryoids, come down to this. Your particular sweet spot might be really low. I know mine is. I need to be medicated to a very low TSH value to feel my best and do my best.... to near hyperthyroid levels. Fortunately, I have an endo who understands that this is sometimes normal for some of her patients.

People who don't weigh their food saying they lose slowly should step back from giving advice on things and consider other reasons why their weight loss might be slow.

• Nazy_Ak
    Nazy_Ak Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos, and have has varying success a few times. The key thing is to get your thyroid into optimal range (for me that's 0.3 - 1 on 175mcg levothyroxine).
    Then create a deficit and stick to it. Log everything. That's the only thing that works for me. Admittedly it does come off slower than others but don't be discouraged! As long as you don't gain more, that week is a good week (I.e don't give up if the scales don't move). I'm starting again cos of various reasons but honestly, calorie counting is the only thing that works for me.
    You can do this! :)
  • Nazy_Ak
    Nazy_Ak Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi peachycarol :)

I weigh my food and my weight loss varies. Some weeks I lose, some weeks I don't. But then the following week I lose more. I think the main reason people are saying the weight loss may be slow is because they don't want OP to get discouraged.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Log your activity. This is proven to be more critical than diet or exercise - highlighting the fact that awareness of your activity is key.

There is no limiting factor of hypothyroidism and losing weight. There may be another competing hormone or some other factor at play, but never consign yourself to thinking you can't lose weight due to having hypothyroidism.

An issue seldom discussed is that being overweight will limit your ability to regulate hormones, so acting as a terminal cascade. Hormone T4 is inadequate, making it easier to gain weight -> excess weight exacerbates inadequacy of T4.

When communicating with your health care provider hit them with data, keep a log of your diet, exercise, vitals, feelings, etc. and hit them with data! It's easy to dismiss a casual comment, but difficult to dismiss a volume of logged activity. Make a copy for your HCP and update them every visit.

As TSH is the primary concern for most, push to whatever range feels right for you. In my case I was likely hyperthyroid the majority of my life and undiagnosed; however this feels normal to me, so I push my TSH level more towards hyper. If you've had cancer and a thyroidectomy this is what your HCP should be pushing you towards.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have Hashi's too. I know untreated hypothyroidism can lower your metabolism by up to 15%. If you are treated it should not slow your metabolism by much.

It can be hard to lose weight on Hashi's but if you find something that works for you, it gets easier. Good luck.