Beginner weight lifting advice!

Options
Hello!
I'm Sabrina and I just joined Planet Fitness this week. I've been at a gym before (but it has been about four years...) so I am familiar with some of the machines.

I really want to up my game though and start weight lifting but no idea where to start/how often I should be doing it a week.

My main goal is to lose weight and tone my body. I hear weight lifting is a great way to lose weight!

However, because I am still over weight, my confidence in being around other weight lifters is pretty low so I'd like to learn as much as possible before I even get started.

So please! Advice, comments, suggestions. Love to hear it! Thanks!

Replies

• mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi

I personally do it 4 times a week. An example of my schedule is:

Mon-Upper
    Tues-Lower
    Wed-hiit cardio
    Thurs-Upper
    Fri-Lower

You could google a dumbbell routine online and go from there. The only machines I really use are for legs. Anything else is dumbell or barbell.

With things like squats, start with some body weight and try and get the form...then add dumbells and continue up and try the bar (if your gym has one)

One thing i will say is that us women tend to under estimate our lifting potential. If you can throw that weight up for 12 reps no problem then up the weight until you find the last couple a push. I usually do 3 sets of 12 on most exercises.

You will find lots of suggestions on the forum for programs such as new rules of lifting for women, strong curves etc. If you do a forum search i'm sure more info will pop up.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

My main goal is to lose weight and tone my body. I hear weight lifting is a great way to lose weight!

So weightlifting will not help you lose weight, eating on a calorie deficit will. Weightlifting will however decrease the amount of muscle you'll lose during your weightloss which will result in that most of the weight you will lose will be fat. Also, a higher percentage of your total weight will be muscle, and as they say, muscle requires more energy than fat.

I would also recommend looking into New rules of lifting for women, Strong curves or stronglift 5x5
    All of those will get you started.
  • jessenya3712
    jessenya3712 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer and he has already helped me loose 25 pounds but at the same time we are doing cardio with a lot of weight training. I am a plus size girl and feel your pain. Along with the 25 pounds I am seeing a change in my body. I have muscles and definition I never had. It's a long journey but so worth it. Good luck, p.s. A good diet plan would definitely help.
  • paulfd
    paulfd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting can be great exercise if you're going heavy enough.

I've been dabbling with stronglift 5x5 type workouts in my workout schedule and with only doing 5 reps of an exercise I can make my heart go from resting rate to the cardio "zone" when I'm lifting heavy. (60bpm -> 130bpm or more)

If you've never lifted start really light though and get your form nailed down. The compound movements on stronglifts (squat, bench, etc.) will feel really awkward initially and you need to teach brain/muscles to work together at first to be smooth in performing the lifts.

Stronglifts is a great site to give you the basics. He explains everything very well and even has videos showing proper form. If you want to work up to doing weights that are heavy for you the form is going to be really important to prevent injury. 2lb hand weights are pretty forgiving on your body if you don't have good form, weight lifting heavy weights won't be.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that beginning lifters benefit from a multiple full body workouts per week, say 3. A place like planet fitness would be perfect for something like that as well. You would go in to 5-6 movements for upper body and 5-6 movements for lower body and call it a day.

For example. MWF
    Upper: 3 sets of 8-12
    Bench press
    chest flyes
    pulldowns
    cable rows
    shoulder press
    bicep curls
    Lower:
    Squat: 3 sets of 12-15
    Leg press
    leg curls
    calf raise
    Core:
    planks
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Beginner programs;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

I heavily recommend these programs.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    It might be worth it to pay for a few introductory sessions with a trainer to have them show you how to use the machines properly and set up a program for you. Or, I'm sure there are youtube videos, etc. which would show proper form and technique. Others here have mentioned good resources as well.

The main thing I can say is - don't be nervous and afraid! Everyone started somewhere, and for the most part, everyone is concentrating on what they're doing.
  • sabrinahernandezreed
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions you guys!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Strong curves, Jamie Eason Livefit (bodybuilding.com), Thinner Leaner Stronger
  • MetalbonesMH
    MetalbonesMH Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have ever found that works...is not quitting. I;ve seen so many people come and go over the years; the ones who are fit are always there!
  • felinasbeads
    felinasbeads Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree. As intimidating as the gym can be, people there are not paying as much attention to you as you think. You all have the same goal and everyone has to start somewhere. :)