exercise

Options
I have a bad back with limited mobility... im trying to find some exercises that I can do

Replies

• Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Anything you can manage. Start really really small and work up to something a little bit bigger.

Walk. To the end of your driveway and back. Then tomorrow, the end of your driveway and back - twice.

If walking is out, lift something. You don't have to have weights, I'm sure there is a carton of milk or a bag of flour in your cupboard. Wall pushups. Squats. Punch the air in jab/jab/uppercut, then jab/jab/hook combinations. Do one set of 5 today, two sets of 5 later in the week. 3 sets of 5 a few days later. Build up to sets of 10, 15, 20.

Log your calories.

Just move a little bit more. You will surprise yourself how much stronger and fitter you feel very soon. :)
  • jmd543
    jmd543 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had spinal fusion and have a lot of back pain; however exercising in the pool has been easy and helpful.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Without knowing you, I would recommend low impact pool workouts if you have access! It takes a lot of pressure off the joints and bone structures.

With that said, I would try consulting a physical therapist. They can best help you develop an exercise progression or routine that is safe for you to target your goals.
  • LonLane
    LonLane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware as to the extent of your "bad back" but after I had a herniated disk and surgery my routines in the gym focus the first 15min on stretching. They are called spider lunges, they help open up your hips. I also wrap a band around my knees and take giant steps sideways, that helps rotate your hips outward and engage your outside glute muscle. Exercises that increases mobility and stabilizes your core are key!

• viren42
    viren42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to hit gym from today.. :)