Exercise calories

Options
Do you eat your exercise calories or not??

I found that I gain weight if I do,so I have stopped doing that and just stick to my 1700-1800 allowance.

Or it might just have been the extra food I had eaten and not fat, but I still don't think it works for me.

I do weigh myself daily,which I probably should stop doing.

Replies

• DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i very rarely eat my exercise calories for the simple fact, im stuffed and cant eat any more than i have lol
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    oooohhhhh what a can of worms this topic will be ......................

my question is ' if your going to eat back the calories that you burn off, why bother ?' even my trainer at the gym asked me that !!

I dont eat back mine and im sure this is a myth, its all going well for me too :smile:
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, and sometimes not. Depends if I'm hungrey or not. I don't believe in all the 'rules' people spout on here, except to say that you shouldn't starve yourself, and I always eat 1200 cals min. I think you have to find what works for you.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    There are about a million posts about this. Try searching the forum before asking
  • KJ7777
    KJ7777 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I try to but as long as i get my net over 1200 i dont really worry about it.

I have eaten most on some days.
    I did read that if you do eat them if will take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust or something & i know that by the 3rd week i started to loose.

:)
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options

my question is ' if your going to eat back the calories that you burn off, why bother ?' even my trainer at the gym asked me that !!

My sentiments exactly. My Personal trainer also say the same thing.

I personally don't eat mine back as it doesn't work for me but that's not to say that 'eating back' exercise calories doesn't work, I think that it's just that different things work for different people.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat them I also gain so i only try to eat 1/2 of them back but it depends on how much exercise I do
    as well. If I have a very high calorie burn during exercise then I try ot eat 1/2 of those but I would rather not eat any of them
    if its going to make me gain just as long as I am not starving or hungry.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

I personally don't eat mine back as it doesn't work for me but that's not to say that 'eating back' exercise calories doesn't work, I think that it's just that different things work for different people.

Do your personal trainers know that mfp already sets you at a calorie deficit?

If you follow the plan on this site, eating your exercise calories back, will only bring your net back to 1200 (or whatever you have it set at). You aren't eating any extra calories...

If people are gaining weight from eating back exercise calories, then I think they are over estimating their calories burned (the machines are usually always over) and underestimating their calorie intake.

I also think it has to do with how active you are. If you are only doing 20-30 mins of exercise, I don't think it's important to eat back that 200-300 calories. I do however think if you run 10 miles, you should probably refuel your body with more food.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

But does either of your trainers know how MFP works....?

Please have a read of the page linked in my signature....

I'm following exactly what's stated there and I have lost 30+ pounds since January.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you read the topic labelled NEWBIES PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING then you'll see this is covered.

Some do some don't.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Did your trainer really ask that? I mean this question implies that the only purpose of exercise is to burn calories, when in truth, exercise calories are a very minor part of why we should exercise. besides the fact that you can't just ask a trainer whether to eat exercise calories unless they understand the concept of MyFitnessPal in the first place. Put it this way, as a personal trainer myself, if someone were to ask me why they should exercise, calories would be pretty far down the list of reasons.
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options

Do your personal trainers know that mfp already sets you at a calorie deficit?

If you follow the plan on this site, eating your exercise calories back, will only bring your net back to 1200 (or whatever you have it set at). You aren't eating any extra calories...

If people are gaining weight from eating back exercise calories, then I think they are over estimating their calories burned (the machines are usually always over) and underestimating their calorie intake.

I also think it has to do with how active you are. If you are only doing 20-30 mins of exercise, I don't think it's important to eat back that 200-300 calories. I do however think if you run 10 miles, you should probably refuel your body with more food.

Amen. Good answer. I agree with you wholeheartedly.
  • dawnmarieee
    dawnmarieee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think it depends on how many calories you burn during your exercise. If you burn a lot, you probably should eat at least some of them back. If you burn, 100-200, probably don't need to eat them back.