Caloric deficit but still gaining weight?

Options
Hey guys, as the title would suggest, I'm still gaining weight even at a caloric deficit. I'm counting calories yet the weight is still going up. I'm currently doing stronglifts. Has this got to do with anything?
Thanks a ton guys!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Open your diary for personal advice, but if you're gaining weight you're not eating at a deficit.

Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh everything—even packaged food. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You're not in a calorie deficit, even though you think you are.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can hold on to water when you start a lifting program, but if you've truly been in a deficit for any amount of time, you should be losing.
  • c2tarun
    c2tarun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Muscles weigh more than fat. Assuming that your calorie counting is accurate, you must be making muscles faster than you are loosing fat.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    c2tarun wrote: »
    Muscles weigh more than fat.
    ^incorrect

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    do you use a food scale to weigh all solids?
    do you eat back 100% of exercise calories?

you cannot be in a calorie deficit and lose weight. You are eating too much.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Muscles weigh more than fat. Assuming that your calorie counting is accurate, you must be making muscles faster than you are loosing fat.

no
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Muscle is denser than fat, which in common English is often referred to as being heavier, but it's exceedingly unlikely to be point of being able to eliminate muscle is being built faster than fat is being lost in a deficit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

To be fair, a time frame and how much weight gain we are talking is relevent.

It is possible to be in a calorie deficit and not lose weight or even add weight when we are talking about numbers within the range of water weight fluctuations.

OP- how long has it been and how much weight are we talking?
    When you start exercising or increase intensity, it is possible that your weight will go up a bit. But if it is more than 2-5 lbs or so or over a longer period of time, then you are likely eating more than you think.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Oh new poster. Yup that sounds like a new poster.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Muscle is denser than fat, which in common English is often referred to as being heavier, but it's exceedingly unlikely to be point of being able to eliminate muscle is being built faster than fat is being lost in a deficit.

There is no way muscle can be build faster than losing fat.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

There is no way muscle can be build faster than losing fat.
    And I said that possibility could be eliminated.

• JadedKitty
    JadedKitty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What kinds of foods are you eating? Are they good options or are they kinda junky? Maybe your calorie amount is too high
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

To be fair, a time frame and how much weight gain we are talking is relevent.

It is possible to be in a calorie deficit and not lose weight or even add weight when we are talking about numbers within the range of water weight fluctuations.

OP- how long has it been and how much weight are we talking?
    When you start exercising or increase intensity, it is possible that your weight will go up a bit. But if it is more than 2-5 lbs or so or over a longer period of time, then you are likely eating more than you think.

I second that notion.
    I somehow gained almost 4 pounds over the course of the last weekend, then lost all of it overnight. Water weight can make it look like you're gaining when you're not.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    JadedKitty wrote: »
    What kinds of foods are you eating? Are they good options or are they kinda junky? Maybe your calorie amount is too high
    Probably so, if weight is being gained, but it has nothing to do with "good" vs. "junky."

• bdommyb
    bdommyb Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I over compensate the calories I intake, so that should not be a problem, I guess. I gained like 1kg over the weekend. So I'm guessing it's water weight? I really don't want to get fat again :D
    thanks for all the reply guys!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    bdommyb wrote: »
    I over compensate the calories I intake, so that should not be a problem, I guess. I gained like 1kg over the weekend. So I'm guessing it's water weight? I really don't want to get fat again :D
    thanks for all the reply guys!

Instead of overcompensating, which suggests you aren't accurately weighing and measuring, why don't you get yourself a food scale and do things properly?

Unless you know how much you're actually eating, you don't really have much hope of getting the results you want.