Takeout Tips

Options
Hi All -

I travel a fair amount for work and am always stuck with having to eat out, and typically fast food. Does anyone have a go-to takeout meal that is satisfying and yet not 900 calories? And please do not suggest Subway, if I eat one more sub I am pretty sure my taste buds will officially pack it in and leave me for good.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Broccoli beef from any reasonable Chinese place.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Anywhere. If it's a chain place, more than likely they have nutrition info on their websites. Pick something that fits your goals and enjoy.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    What restaurants do you go to? Most chains will have nutrition info online. It's not what I'd consider good nutrition for every day, but here's some things I order when I end up at fast food:

McDonalds: McChicken and small fries: 600 cal.
    Wendy's: half of one of their salads is usually well under 900 calories.
    Burger King: cheeseburger and value fries: 610 cal.
  • IncredibleMulk77
    IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can do alright with a Chipotle burrito bowl (I help them regulate the portions as they are dishing it) and I love sushi and can always maintain a reasonable calorie count with that. Best of luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    From Five Guys, I get 3 patties with no bun, topped with grilled mushrooms, grilled green peppers, and tomato slices. It's 684 calories. I don't get fries or eat the peanuts. If you want a bun you could drop a patty and add it and it would be around the same calorie level.

At McDonald's I get a quarter pounder no cheese and a small fry. That is 750 calories, I believe.

That's pretty much the only fast food I get.
  • starlitwaters
    starlitwaters Posts: 18 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    What restaurants do you go to? Most chains will have nutrition info online. It's not what I'd consider good nutrition for every day, but here's some things I order when I end up at fast food:

McDonalds: McChicken and small fries: 600 cal.
    Wendy's: half of one of their salads is usually well under 900 calories.
    Burger King: cheeseburger and value fries: 610 cal.

This.

The apple pecan chicken salad from Wendy's (the half size, which is actually huge) is 350 calories, including the dressing and the pecans on top. :) McD's also has some pretty low calorie salads.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I like Panera, Wendy's, and Chipotle.

However, I can go anywhere and find something to eat that will fit my macros. I've yet to find a fast food place or restaurant that I can't get a meal for under 600 calories. Doesn't mean I don't ever splurge, but its completely possible.

Every single chain restaurant has their nutrition information posted online. Use it and figure out what works for you. Always remember that you can split servings in half too. I do this all the time when I go out to eat. I might order something that's 1000 calories, but the first thing I do is split it in half and I'll take the other half home.
  • abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead and pack your own stuff.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I like Panera, Wendy's, and Chipotle.

However, I can go anywhere and find something to eat that will fit my macros. I've yet to find a fast food place or restaurant that I can't get a meal for under 600 calories. Doesn't mean I don't ever splurge, but its completely possible.

Every single chain restaurant has their nutrition information posted online. Use it and figure out what works for you. Always remember that you can split servings in half too. I do this all the time when I go out to eat. I might order something that's 1000 calories, but the first thing I do is split it in half and I'll take the other half home.

Chipotle is a great example of a place where your choices will determine whether your meal will fit your calories goals or be a blowout.

When work used to buy our meals, we'd get blowout meals and be in a food coma all afternoon. Now when I order from there I look at the nutrition calculator https://chipotle.com/nutrition-calculator before ordering.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not the most nutritious meal going, but a McDonalds Quarterpounder w/cheese (518) and Medium fries (337) is pretty filling. Have that with a low cal drink and it's under 900 cals.
    If you get the small fries (which i never do ;) ), it'll be around 100 cals less.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Skip the French fries completely and have the smallest burger offered. Without cheese if possible. Round out your meal with fruit if they have it, or a side salad (watch the dressing). Most fast food burgers are not that bad if you get a small one, without all the extra bacon, triple patties and cheese, etc. best thing is to go online and print out the nutritional info from several common fast food places that are likely to be where you are. Then you can make i formed choices.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I prefer a bigger burger so I get more protein and fat. The little burgers are nearly all bun. Reminds me of...

Where's+the+beed+(Gif).gif
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    A lot of sandwich or deli type places have those "create your own" salad options. You typically pick the size of the greens (small or large and usually you can choose from various lettuces or spinach), and then add exactly which toppings you want...tons of fresh veggies, chicken, salmon, various cheeses, chick peas, a whole assortment of dressings, etc. These are great options because you can control exactly what goes into your salad. If you do this, make sure you include protein to keep you full. Some places even offer this as a delivery option. Look at the online food ordering services (seamless, grubhub, etc) and you can probably find one. The nice thing is they have a wide assortment of ingredients, so you can change it up to keep it interesting.