Need some breakfast ideas

Options
bex481
bex481 Posts: 70 Member
If anyone has some yummy and fairly quick breakfast ideas please share!! My normal breakfast usually consists of egg whites in either various omlettes or scrambled with some low fat cheese and fruit; or a yogurt when really pressed for time. I need some more options because i'm getting bored and we all know where that leads!! I am a working mom with 4 kids aged 9-1 so simple is key!! Thanks for any ideas!!

Replies

• ThickNThunda
    ThickNThunda Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    How about oatmeal with fresh fruit inside, splenda brown sugar with about a teaspoon of honey? It keeps me full and is only a little over 200 calories. And have a glass of Silk almond milk. Really scrumptious.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I get some turkey hot italian sausages, or turkey bacon. I prep em in advance so when I eat my egg beaters, I have some variety. Maybe a qtr cup of minced potato with some garlic salt when I feel like it. Or sometimes, make some pancakes the night before. I only eat one now. Ihaven't had time to cook recently, but Monday, my bfast was 1qtr cup of egg beaters, one turkey sausage link and one pancake. It was only 240 calories. The pancake was 4 inches in diameter and about 1/4 qtr inch thick. Just prep on a day you don't work, and seperate them by days. Stick em in the micro, and off you go. Good luck.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I like Special K cereals. Cereal works the best for me and most of it is very nutritional.
  • bex481
    bex481 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Both good ideas! I think that the prep is key. I may try to pre-make some breakfast foods this weekend to have during the week. I had been avoiding cereals because i tend to overeat them. Yesterday I had a bowl of the reduced sugar frosted flakes and they were sooo yummy. I may start working them back into my breakfast rotation again. Love Special K!
  • darcyrobillard
    Options
    New fav- Kashi Go-Lean Crisp: Toasted Berry Crumble. 9g protein, 8g fiber, 180 cals, 3.5g fat for 3/4 cup. Keeps me satisfied and is delicious!
    :wink:
  • Bruinsmama
    Bruinsmama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Today I am rocking a banana and some pre-made strawberry yogurt parfait (Breyers YoCrunch). Filling and yet under 200 calories!
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My fave is boiled egg with marmite on toast ,porridge,gresh fruit and yogurt ,or even homemade soup .
  • wannalosew8
    wannalosew8 Posts: 21
    Options
    I like whole wheat bagel thins with peanut butter and a little fruit. All the fiber and protein keeps me full until lunch.
  • cconeill
    cconeill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with fresh fruit. Fruit or Protein Smoothie egg white omelet
  • msjaxn69
    msjaxn69 Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm feeling some oatmeal with ground flaxseed and a dash of allspice and six egg whites with a tablespoon of salsa.
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    Porridge and a small banana fills me up
  • AMSull19
    AMSull19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    low sugar whole grain cereals w/ skim milk, or lower-sugar instant oatmeal (i just cant do plain) are two of my favs.

I also do Brown N' Serve turkey sausage most mornings, it takes 30 secs in the microwave and they're yummy.
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Looks like you received a lot of really good responses. Here are a couple of things that I make.

Fruit Smoothie-berries, yogurt, with a little milk and flax seed. You can make it the night before and store it in the fridge.

Light McMuffin---100 calories whole grain english muffins, one egg scrambled with a slice of 2 percent Kraft cheese.

Kashi Go Lean lots of fiber and protein but I like to mix strawberries in once in awhile.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you have to make breakfast for you *and* the kiddos, have you tried ziplock bag omelettes? Very easy, no-mess. One (one quart) ziplock bag per person, each person gets two eggs and whatever other ingredients s/he likes (shredded cheese, chopped meat, veggies, salsa, spices), put the ingredients in the bag, seal it, squish it all together, then drop all the bags into a pot of boiling water. 10 minutes later, you get a bunch of individualized omelettes, and no worries about picky eaters or dirty dishes. All kinds of potential combinations there, from veggie-lover to meat-lover and anything in between, so I never get bored.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and fresh pineapple.

Egg & lowfat cheese on a sandwich thin.

Peanut butter, applesauce and cinnamon on a whole wheat tortilla.

Leftover anything from last night's dinner.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    oatmeal & a banana
    whole wheat tortilla with natural pb and a banana (wrap)
    egg whites & fresh salsa fried together
    1 frozen banana, 1 scoop protein powder and 8ounces milk blend together. Quick, easy, filling and very delicous!
  • clarehaines
    clarehaines Posts: 49
    Options
    All this week ive been having :

Onken Fat Free Yoghurt 150g = 72 Calories

Then mixing it with fresh fruit, varied most days....

Raspberries 10 = 10 Calories
    Grapes 10 = 34 Calories
    Honeydew Melon 1/8 = 20 Calories
    Kiwi 1/2 = 15 Calories
    Banana 1/2 Med = 55 Calories
    Strawberries 100g = 30 Calories
    Nectarine 85g = 41 Calories
    Peach 59g = 34 Calories

And the list goes on......

You can create a different breakfast every day with easily under 200 calories,

Hope this helps!!
  • dikent
    dikent Posts: 24
    Options
    I eat organic vanilla yogurt (1/2 - 1 c.) mixed with 1/2- 1 c. frozen wild blueberries, 2 T. toasted wheat germ and a 1/2 c. of cereal.

This fills me up and keeps me full for quite awhile. It also is cold and tastes like ice cream (almost). It is especially good after a hard cardio workout.
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I love readybrek or weetabix for breakfast.

I really love weetabix minis chocolate,but they're a bit high in sugar. They are delicious though and really gives you a chocolate fix if you need it. So normal weetabix would be better ofcourse.

If you don't like cereals, what about peanutbutter or jam on wholemeal toast? Or (light) cream cheese? Smoothie with added readybrek?
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you have to make breakfast for you *and* the kiddos, have you tried ziplock bag omelettes? Very easy, no-mess. One (one quart) ziplock bag per person, each person gets two eggs and whatever other ingredients s/he likes (shredded cheese, chopped meat, veggies, salsa, spices), put the ingredients in the bag, seal it, squish it all together, then drop all the bags into a pot of boiling water. 10 minutes later, you get a bunch of individualized omelettes, and no worries about picky eaters or dirty dishes. All kinds of potential combinations there, from veggie-lover to meat-lover and anything in between, so I never get bored.

This is the most awesome idea I have ever seen!