Tips for Commuting on a Bike?

Options
I just started riding a bike about 1 mile (each way) to and from the nearest train station.

What are some tips on making commuting on a bike less difficult? I have learned already to wear shorts or leggings on the bike and change at work.

I'm also thinking about getting a fold up bike so I can take it on the train more easily with me!

And my biggest question....how do you make bicycling in the rain not miserable?! :)

Replies

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have a question as well (which really could go for any exercise-to-work commute) which is: how do you deal with getting all sweaty on the way to work? Do you shower when you get there?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    My advice.................don't insist on the right of way. While you may be in the right, you'll NEVER win against a vehicle in a collision. There are lots of drivers who don't have patience and lots of bikers that don't obey the rules either. ALWAYS be safe. Wear reflective gear. Texters and people who drive that don't pay attention have a tendency to spot reflective gear even with occupied versus when riders don't wear gear that's easily seen.
    Hope that helps. As for rain there's always this:

http://bostonbiker.org/files/2010/08/bike-rain-roof1.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • hali1
    hali1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was briefly biking to the office, about 2 miles each way, years ago before we started working from home. Besides changing at work, one thing I did was to bring baby wipes and deodorant with me. Didn't have access to a full shower, but at least I could freshen up a little.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just crazy but I love riding & running in the rain (not a monsoon....) I find it refreshing but it poses additional safety challenges. It's harder for cars to see you and, typically, bike brakes don't work as well when your rims are wet. One of the safety thing I do, rain or shine, is I have a very bright white flashing LED light showing to the front (it's my headlamp after dark......Cygolite Metro 500 - excellent light, USB rechargeable) and red flashing LED to the rear - PlanetBike Superflash) I also wear high visibility / contrast clothing while riding ( a construction style safety vest is money well spent)

You want a drybag for carrying your work clothes in (and a towel for those rainy days), if you're commuting a mile each way you won't be out in the rain too long.

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I used to commute 7 miles each way. At a mile, I wouldn't thinking sweat would be to bad. I'd use a cheap bike that would deter thieves and use a U-lock. You need fenders and rain gear for when it rains. For rain gear, I had toe covers, a rain jacket, and a rain cover for my helmet. I'd keep my work clothes (suites, ties, etc) at work and use a dry cleaner near by to clean them. Learn the rules the road. Get flashing rear and head lights for when the days are shorter. Wear a helmet, glasses, and a high-viz clothing or vest.

Why not bike the whole way in? When I lived in DC, I lived and worked right next the Metro and could beat the Metro to work by bike. I did have to take a two showers each day but it was great workout.
  • mnorv
    mnorv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Shower before work and bike easily on the way into work will prevent you from getting smelly. Rain coat and pants prevent getting wet on the way in. Maybe keep a pair of shoes and socks at work in case your feet get wet.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I used to bike a mile the opposite way to a different train stop, where I was sweating because it was uphill! Now that I am backtracking and going to the train stop before that one, it is a flat ride so I don't get sweaty :)
  • soccerkon26
    Options
    I c
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I used to commute 7 miles each way. At a mile, I wouldn't thinking sweat would be to bad. I'd use a cheap bike that would deter thieves and use a U-lock. You need fenders and rain gear for when it rains. For rain gear, I had toe covers, a rain jacket, and a rain cover for my helmet. I'd keep my work clothes (suites, ties, etc) at work and use a dry cleaner near by to clean them. Learn the rules the road. Get flashing rear and head lights for when the days are shorter. Wear a helmet, glasses, and a high-viz clothing or vest.

Why not bike the whole way in? When I lived in DC, I lived and worked right next the Metro and could beat the Metro to work by bike. I did have to take a two showers each day but it was great workout.

i can't bike in because work is 15 miles away (using the freeway) LOL
  • soccerkon26
    Options
    Thank you all for your help :)

Any recommendations on a dry bag? Right now I'm just using a normal backpack
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Making rain tolerable? Well, if you change at work, it's not too big a deal. You get wet, and you dry off. However, if you're trying to stay "more dry" don't do rain pants and jacket. You'll be just as wet from sweat as you would be with rain. Use a poncho.

I'd get a panier for carrying things. I used to backpack, and now cannot imagine going back to it.
  • Nuke_64
    Options

i can't bike in because work is 15 miles away (using the freeway) LOL

Where this is will, there is a way. Where I currently live, my commute is over ten miles. I have taken the bus in to work via the free way and local roads home by bike.

• csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    i do 28km's each way. It incorporates fast roads, gravel tracks, river paths with speed humps, gypsies, busy city roads. Heres a small sample:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0mmar7ymLs

My biggest tip? Adopt a road position that ensures you will be seen, and encourages vehicles to make a wide pass (ie. if you ride in the gutter, cars will pass closely). And always assume the other vehicle HASN'T seen you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help :)

Any recommendations on a dry bag? Right now I'm just using a normal backpack

I'm not sure where you're located but this will give you some ideas of what to look for:

road.cc/content/review/123331-lomo-30l-high-visibility-backpack-dry-bag

If you're in the USA check out REI, if you're in Canada a good source may be Mountain Equipment Co-op

• Nuke_64
    Options
    +1 on panniers. For only going a mile, a plastic bag inside your backpack or panniers will be fine.
  • RoadBike777
    RoadBike777 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Get a hi vis jacket, will make it easier for cars to see you.
    Take a spare set of clothing to change into.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It seems to me for a 1 mile commute you'd be better off walking. There's a lot of overhead (special clothing, bike gear, prep, safety issues, etc.) with biking and figuring out what to do with it, and a 1 mile bike ride is not going to buy much in terms of exercise and time saved. A mile walk will take you about 15 -20 minutes and you don't need to be concerned with any special clothing, just a good pair of shoes you can walk in.
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dmkoenig wrote: »
    It seems to me for a 1 mile commute you'd be better off walking. There's a lot of overhead (special clothing, bike gear, prep, safety issues, etc.) with biking and figuring out what to do with it, and a 1 mile bike ride is not going to buy much in terms of exercise and time saved. A mile walk will take you about 15 -20 minutes and you don't need to be concerned with any special clothing, just a good pair of shoes you can walk in.

I agree with this, but if you are set on biking...

1. Fenders, fenders, fenders if nothing else for rain. That will be your best water deterrent.
    2. Paniers, yes for back comfort and limiting sweat that accumulates on your back from a pack! Most are waterproof enough for 1 mile. You don't really need extra special bags, just enough room for your things (if all else fails, throw a plastic bag over them, no need to spend tons).
    3. Also, depending on your job, maybe try to buy clothes that are work appropriate and that you can also ride in/natural breathable fibers. Changing before and after work seems like a way big hassle for one mile. There are plenty of companies that make cute, semi-dressy yet practical clothes for active women. And you don't need special shoes, unless maybe you have a super formal job where you wear polished shoes or so. But even then you don't need special shoes, just a change.
  • PhysicsOnIce
    PhysicsOnIce Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Okay, I live in a country where biking to and from work/school/groceries/etc is normal and a good portion of the time it is raining. My daily commute is 2.2 km (1.36 miles) one direction and somewhat hilly. I can tell you, you don't NEED any special gear/shoes/apps/etc, unless you are actually doing a long commute. You can even do the mile in high heels on the bike rather easily. I do it almost everyday, just push with your toes. Heck, I've done it wearing a full formal dress and heels. Yeah you might get some odd looks but it is doable.

Thinks you might want to invest in:
    1) Snap on reflectors (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Cycling-Bike-Bicycle-Arm-Leg-Pant-Reflective-Band-Strap-Belt-Safety-Reflector-/231551994305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item35e99309c1) . They also work really well for pants holders if you need to wear dress pants to work.

2) A good and stylish rain jacket. Avoid things that are essentially black plastic bags, they will just make you sweaty. I have a normal everyday wear MK rain coat that works prefectly under anytype of rain conditions. It has an inner fleece layer that is removable for those summer stormy days and rather nice for winter.

3) If you really need a backpack and you'll be carrying a computer in it, I use a Lowepro (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Galaxy-Blue-Lowepro-Photo-Hatchback-16L-AW-Daypack-Backpack-DSLR-Camera-Bag-/271529774294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f386f8cd6) with the camera insert taken out. It have an all weather-proof cover which works wonders. I stuff this pakcpack with my skates (very fragile to getting wet) and cycle 5 km to my nearest rink in the rain on a regular basis, and have had no problems at all.