Diet no problem. Can't get motivated

Options
teens1210
teens1210 Posts: 2 Member
hi guys!
For some reason I have no problem cutting down on diet and eating healthier but that only goes so far! How did everyone start their work out routine?? For some reason I can't get motivated and have no energy to get moving at the end of the day and apparently me and my bed have a cuddly relationship. I used to work out all the time but after having my sweet little baby 3 years ago all efforts go to her. Any suggestions?

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Motivation will come when it's what you really want. In my opinion, nothing will last long term if it's forced. You should experiment with different exercises to find out what you enjoy and doesn't seem like a chore.

I should mention though, that if your goal is strictly to lose weight, all you need to do is remain in a deficit anyways.

Good luck.
  • tspencer824
    tspencer824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You know, I hated working out with people, but before I moved, I found a workout buddy. We were both trainers and just fed off one another. I am gone now, but my motivation is high and I am still accountable to her daily too.

Maybe hire a trainer for like 5-10 sessions to get some ideas and get started. Having a scheduled appointment that costs money should get you moving. If it doesn't, then maybe workout first thing in the morning. Do some at home stuff like squats, lunges, pushups...

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I agree with @_incogNEATo_. Stay in a calorie deficit for now. It's generally a snowball effect: you start eating less, then you start eating healthier and more nutritious foods and then you have more energy. Be consistent with your diet.

Also, if you want to get back to a routine then the suggestion above regarding a personal trainer may help as well.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Find a sport or activity that you absolutely love. If you're enjoying yourself, you'll want to continue doing it.
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Congrats on eating health since they say it's 80/20. I will workout but not always so good with food. Maybe you can start with early morning/evening walk but stay consistent and you will increase energy and then you should feel more motivated.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you have your logging under control and are happy with that.

As far as exercise is concerned - do you have your 3 yr old in a swimming programme? If so take that time to swim laps, or if you don't swim do water walking.
    When you go to the park use the equipment there to devise a short workout for yourself.
    Take a look at nerdfitness.com and hasfit.com for good short workouts that you can do at home.

Start small, and increase gradually.
    Look at a couple of classes, I do Zumba, badly, it is fun social and very supportive.

Cheers, h.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Give yourself an excuse proof goal and/or excuse proof exercise.

I'm old. I started out with a workout goal of 60 minutes per week (baby steps). 2 x 30, 3 x 20, 4 x 15....it all counts. I logged those minutes in a spreadsheet, but you can put stickers on a calendar.....whatever makes you accountable.

I used to get Netflix by mail so I could try different things every week. This helped me figure out what I liked (and what I hated). Use the internet. YouTube, JessicaSmith TV, even Hulu.com has a health & fitness channel. Keep trying things until you figure out what you like. My excuse proof exercise is Leslie Sansone....the weather doesn't matter, my lack of coordination doesn't matter....my only excuse is "I'm lazy".....anyone can do her videos (even muting the TV works).

Anyway, it's okay to start small.....but start. Then after it becomes "normal"....add more minutes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't needed for weight loss; it's for fitness. If you don't want to exercise, don't force it. Besides, exercise doesn't have to mean sweating in a gym class or in front of the TV. Find something you like to do. You're more likely to stick with it if you enjoy it. Take a walk with your 3 year old. Point out things. Try to see who can find the most items of a specific color. If your baby isn't able to walk as far as you'd like, push a stroller.