Tip for boosting metabolism.

Options
br3adman
br3adman Posts: 284 Member
Lets face it most people i know drink hot coffee when they wake up. Drink cold water first before the hot coffee. Your body will have to burn calories just to bring the cold water up to body temp. If you can drink cold water all day go for it. Also Have a snack between meals it will make your digestive system burn calories. Just an apple will kick it in. If you have protein for lunch you will automatically burn 30‰ calories because it takes more energy to burn protein. Anymore tips from you guys let's here it!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Right... study for the "protein for lunch automatically makes you burn 30% more calories"?

The amount of calories burned for trying to turn cold water to body temp is pretty minimal, it's not going to have a great effect on weight loss, no?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Oh boy….
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Having a glass of cold water then a cup of hot coffee will probably net very little temperature change internally and therefore few calories expended. Sorry, I'm going to drink coffee when I want coffee and water otherwise during the day when I need it and not rejoice that my body may expend a few calories raising 1L of water by 1C multiple times.

Talk about micro-optimizing! Sorry but I'm not interested in the relatively few calories expended regulating the body's temperature and thermic effect of different foods.

Sure, protein has a larger thermic effect. You are in effect wasting a larger proportion of protein intake just to digest it. Rather than eating ever more protein (and recognize that too much protein is unhealthy), wouldn't it make sense to eat what protein you actually need and restrict calories elsewhere? That's a sustainable (and less expensive) way of organizing a diet for life.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    Also Have a snack between meals it will make your digestive system burn calories. Just an apple will kick it in.

Food-induced thermogenesis also depends on the amount of calories ingested though. So eating smaller frequent meals or less but bigger meals will produce the same amount of thermogenesis over the course of the whole day, everything else being equal of course.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Lets face it most people i know drink hot coffee when they wake up. Drink cold water first before the hot coffee. Your body will have to burn calories just to bring the cold water up to body temp. If you can drink cold water all day go for it. Also Have a snack between meals it will make your digestive system burn calories. Just an apple will kick it in. If you have protein for lunch you will automatically burn 30‰ calories because it takes more energy to burn protein. Anymore tips from you guys let's here it!

You're over thinking weightless too much. Eat at a deficit, eat enough fat and protein and you'll lose. If you don't, then you failed at measuring a deficit.

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options

You're over thinking weightless too much. Eat at a deficit, eat enough fat and protein and you'll lose. If you don't, then you failed at measuring a deficit.

Well I've lost over 101 pounds since sept last year. I'm not saying all you need to do is this. You still need to eat balanced and exercise. These are just suggestions to make your body burn extra calories not a magic bullet...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Oh boy….

Right!

:laugh:
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

A better way is to reduce your age by 10 years.
  • SJMask89
    SJMask89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I doubt any of these "tips" will have any meaningful or significant effect on your metabolism. Please feel free to post a study to change my view.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Well I've lost over 101 pounds since sept last year. I'm not saying all you need to do is this. You still need to eat balanced and exercise. These are just suggestions to make your body burn extra calories not a magic bullet...

I'm sure that has more to do with the ~1200 calories per day in exercise, coupled with the 900 calories under the MFP goal per day than it does with drinking cold water in the morning.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

I lost 100 lbs in 12 months by eating healthy foods mixed with junk food and alcohol....

Calories in....calories out, that's it, weight loss...it's very simple actually
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

You know that none of this works right?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Cold water, snacks, apples and protein burns extra calories? No.

Keep it simple. CICO

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

Well I've lost over 175 pounds without doing or sweating this stuff.

What you're talking about is what I call "majoring in the minors." Losing weight is hard enough. Distracting people with nonsense that can maybe result in a 2%-5% increase overall in burn is just counterproductive to helping them do the things that will maximize a calorie deficit: behavioral management and mindfulness to get overeating under control, and maybe exercising some. It's simple, but it's hard enough to merit focusing attention there first without silly distractions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    oh-boy-o.gif
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    LETS ADD SCIENCE!!!

Say you're drinking the water from your refrigerator. Typically, your fridge should be set to about 4 degrees centigrade.

Your body is typically around 36 degrees centigrade.

To increase 1 gram, or 1 mL of water by 1 degree centigrade requires 1 small calorie (cal).

So, if you drink 250 mL (1 cup) of water, you will use about 8000* small calories to bring that water up to body temperature.

Now, here's the kicker: Food and energy expenditure on the human scale is measures in large calories, or kcal.

1 large calorie = 1000 small calories.

So, that glass of water burned about 8 kcal.

If you wanted to burn enough energy to make a noticeable different in your metabolism, say, burn 1/2 a lb of fat a week, you'd need to drink 220 cups of cold water a week, or 32 cups a day, or 256 oz, or 2 gallons a day, while eating at maintenance.

Oh, but you drank a cup of coffee immediately after, so that would completely negate the effects of drinking a glass of cold water.

Footnotes (warning, MATHS)

* 36 C - 4 C = 32 C
    32 x 250 = 8000
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine once told me he does jumping jacks in his bedroom every morning on awakening to "kick start his metabolism". However, my friend is an uneducated di@khead. :)
  • SJMask89
    SJMask89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    LETS ADD SCIENCE!!!

Say you're drinking the water from your refrigerator. Typically, your fridge should be set to about 4 degrees centigrade.

Your body is typically around 36 degrees centigrade.

To increase 1 gram, or 1 mL of water by 1 degree centigrade requires 1 small calorie (cal).

So, if you drink 250 mL (1 cup) of water, you will use about 8000* small calories to bring that water up to body temperature.

Now, here's the kicker: Food and energy expenditure on the human scale is measures in large calories, or kcal.

1 large calorie = 1000 small calories.

So, that glass of water burned about 8 kcal.

If you wanted to burn enough energy to make a noticeable different in your metabolism, say, burn 1/2 a lb of fat a week, you'd need to drink 220 cups of cold water a week, or 32 cups a day, or 256 oz, or 2 gallons a day, while eating at maintenance.

Oh, but you drank a cup of coffee immediately after, so that would completely negate the effects of drinking a glass of cold water.

Footnotes (warning, MATHS)

* 36 C - 4 C = 32 C
    32 x 250 = 8000

lol
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights
    Moving more