How can I break this habit?

Options
ok let me try to explain, sorry if I ramble or don't make much sense but it is early and I have not had much coffee yet lol.
I have a terrible habit that I need to break. I start each day great - I work out, eat super healthy, have all these great plans, then at about 3pm I basically just give up. I start eating junk food, drinking beer and basically give myself permission to "start over tomorrow". I gorge on a bunch of junk and ruin everything. I can easily eat an extra 3000 calories in an afternoon/evening. This habit has become so ingrained that I don't even think about it half the time...it just happens.. I know this is stupid because it's my own doing but it is actually a really big obstacle for me. This happens almost every day! I don't understand why I keep doing this. Can you offer any advice? Thanks :-)

Replies

• Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Do you log EVERYTHING you eat on MyFitnessPal? I find that really helps me keep control. I log everything before I eat it....that gives me enough time to think "do you really want that? do you need it?"

My worst time of the day is in the evenings and snacking is a bad habit of mine. It's just that....a habit. I used to look in the fridge within moments of walking through the front door. It takes time to kick habits, but starting new ones should help change your routine.

Hope that helps.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You sound like my friend.....she didnt bother. You have to want to do it like REALLY WANT TO! as soon as u see the bad food or drink, u force yourself to say no. She is her own worst enemy and noone can convince her except herself. she woke upto herself and is now down 10 kilos!
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    You should try exercising in the evenings. You need to occupy your mind so that it doesn't concentrate on food. The first week or so is going to be really hard you just need to get a mindset. You'll be glad you did.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're being too strict during the day so at night you just go crazy craving all the bad stuff? Maybe you should allow more smaller indulgences in the day (like a miniature piece of chocolate, a beer with lunch) so at night you don't think "well, i've been good all day..." Also, maybe it's psychological in the sense that something is stopping you from losing weight? Like self-sabotage for whatever reason?
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    I too tend to munch late afternoon. By logging everything and realizing how much I have to exercise to make up for that ...beer, chocolate, cookie, etc I really think twice about partaking. You are the only one who can change that habit. Try walking, drinking some water, chewing some Trident, or brushing the teeth. For a couple of hours after I have brushed teeth, I have a hard time eating or drinking anything but water
  • miss_dreamer
    miss_dreamer Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the evening, during what i consider my 'snacking period' around 7pm-. That's the time i find myself craving all the bad food, so i go to the gym instead and then, if afterwards i still want something, as i've been to the gym and have a few extra calories to burn i allow myself one little treat. Not everytime, but now and then so i can now control most of my cravings.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the bad food so when you do eat, it's good for you. Find something to take your mind off of food. I know if I'm just sitting around that is all I can think about so find a hobby. Also, they say it takes 2 weeks where a new routine starts to become a habit. If you break the cycle and not overindulge for 2 weeks it will become a norm and it will be easier to not give in.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Log ahead of time. Exercise later to get your mind off food. Allow yourself a small "reward" piece of chocolate. And here is the biggest thing: DETERMINATION!!! If you don't have it, you won't succeed. Harsh reality. You have to want it more than anything you have ever wanted before. Only YOU can push yourself to the max! Good luck!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    ok let me try to explain, sorry if I ramble or don't make much sense but it is early and I have not had much coffee yet lol.
    I have a terrible habit that I need to break. I start each day great - I work out, eat super healthy, have all these great plans, then at about 3pm I basically just give up. I start eating junk food, drinking beer and basically give myself permission to "start over tomorrow". I gorge on a bunch of junk and ruin everything. I can easily eat an extra 3000 calories in an afternoon/evening. This habit has become so ingrained that I don't even think about it half the time...it just happens.. I know this is stupid because it's my own doing but it is actually a really big obstacle for me. This happens almost every day! I don't understand why I keep doing this. Can you offer any advice? Thanks :-)

What are you eating earlier in the day? Are you getting enough protein and healthy fats? If you're eating primarily carbs, you're going to have big energy dips when your blood sugar comes back down and feel tired and snacky.

The alcohol is a double-whammy. Not only will your body burn the alcohol instead of food (storing all that food as fat), it makes it much much easier to just eat whatever is around and way too much of it.

Until you can get through a few weeks of a good eating plan, I'd cut out the alcohol entirely. Then see if you can add it back in moderation and still maintain control of your eating plan.
  • johnnythebaptist
    Options
    Remember we eat to live and not eat to live....I found that if I have a workout plabbed for the evening I will not eat. However if I sit down and get bored.....or get with others who are eating recklessly i wii do the same.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I too tend to munch late afternoon. By logging everything and realizing how much I have to exercise to make up for that ...beer, chocolate, cookie, etc I really think twice about partaking.

So true! Yesterday was a TERRIBLE day for me food wise and I remember leaving the restaurants(!) thinking, crap I have to log this into MFP and I'm going to hate what it says...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You've got to hit your rock bottom moment, until then the pattern will probably stick. I was there...for like 3 years. A series of events happened over a short amount of time that really opened my eyes to what I was doing to myself. I signed up for this site and it was like a switch flipped...been on here 122 days straight :)
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Try taking alli, with the potential for those side effects, :sick: you won't cheat!! LOL
  • myeviltwin
    myeviltwin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    me too...".habit "of snack-eating as soon as I get home....in the door , drop the purse....head to fridge.. I.think I am looking for
    a Diet Coke....., find the coke...and stand with the frig door open....looking and searching for my reward for having worked all day.... so a small taste of this and that, just a little snack before I consider dinner... Right!
    The diet coke is great, the snack is tasty, and I have added 300 +calories to my daily calorie count before I close the door...then I
    promise myself to eat a light dinner.......... never happens.....
    .I like you have to consider ....this is a "Habit" not hunger
    "Habit" not hunger............. I now realize..this is a "food danger time of my day."...."This Habit is a big part of my weight problem"
    thanks for your post......you caused me to see my self.......doing this almost everyday......
    thanks
    myeviltwin
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    I too was an afternoon eating machine! What helps me is having coffee around 3pm. It's filling and holds me over until dinner.
  • Nelly83
    Nelly83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i used to be exactly the same. As sson as i got home from work i would head straight to the fridge and eat what i thought were realtively healthy/low calorie foods. now that i log, i realise i was eating way too many calories. to stop this habit i pre - log all my food for the day including what i can eat when i get home from work. I also go to the gym and/or do a dvd workout straight after work and by the time i am done its time for my dinner! thats the way i have broken my snacking habit. hope it can work for you too.
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    this used to happen to me too. What I've done different is:

1: I log every single thing that goes into my mouth and I make my journal public so that anyone in the world can see what I ate..this helps me to stay on track a LOT

2: Breakfast is a must. if i'm getting ready to workout then it's a lean shake, if not then it's an egg sandwich. If I skip breakfast the rest of the day is spent thinking of food

3: sugar free jello has been my go to meal in the evening! Someone on this board suggested it....If I think I'm gonna die if i don't have something sweet then I mix a box up and have to wait for it to set so by the time it has set and I've eaten, I'm tired and it's bedtime :) I was eating jello every night for a while but now it's just once or twice a week. it's very low in calories.

4: DISCIPLINE: there isn't a pill, a food, a key to make you not cheat in the evenings. You have to mentally decide that you will not do it and then don't walk into the kitchen in the evening. If you have to toss the beer and bad food that will help too.
    If i can do it, you can do it!! i promise :)

ETA: getting up and taking a walk, jogging, going to the gym will also help...once you work out you don't want to waste all of the calories you just burned and after a hot bath it's usually bedtime anyway. if it is REALLY bad, i just go to bed early :)
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    Have you tried eating a bigger breakfast? To make you feel less hungry later on?
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you exercise hard in the morning you may be putting yourself in a mindset that is self-destructive: "I can eat this - I exercised hard this morning and I will again tomorrow". That, in and of itself, is not a bad thing... the part that destructs our work on our physical bodies is that our mind doesn't fully calculate the equality of the number of calories burned during exercise and the number of calories being consumed in the "reward food". So we tend to over-reward ourselves.

Try NOT working out hard for a few days so you don't feel like you deserve to have whatever you're having at 3pm until bedtime. This could stop your destructive habit.

You can still exercise, just don't go hog wild on it for a couple of weeks. It's been said that a habit takes 3 weeks to form... and 3 weeks to break... so give yourself 3 weeks to create a new healthy habit for yourself.
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    I have the same problem! And while I can go weeks without doing it now, I still slip on occasion. I know that it is all mental/emotional, so I don't really have much advice, except that I have been doing some serious sole searching and trying to figure out why I sabotage myself. It has been getting better, and I have been able to take off some pounds, and I am hopeful that soon I can say that I have been binge free for a long period of time :)