Need help with healthy options without Vitamin K

Options
Hello!
I am re-starting my weight loss and get healthy efforts and I need some help on the nutritional aspect. I am on Coumadin which is a blood thinner for the remainder of my life and I have to be very careful of the amount of vitamin K I take in. Pretty much anything that Lesa and green and olive oil and avocado anything that's healthy green tea I need to take in very very small amounts to not mess up my blood level. I am severely struggling with this in trying to figure out what fruits and vegetables I can safely eat and not hurt my heart. One of the other unique things is apples carrots and celery I am allergic to, so I'm really struggling anyone else have advice or have to do this?

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Wow, your Dr. didn't give you a list of foods that you can eat?? Did a quick Google search and found this site http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/low-vitamin-k-foods-for-a-coumadin-warfarin-diet.php. Hope that helps
  • Jaimelton
    Jaimelton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you, it does a little bit. It's very hard to make sound choices when the majority of the stuff is salads or anything that's green related to put in your diet to help aid with weight loss I guess. The numbers aren't 100% accurate but I'm more wondering if anyone else has to go along with this sort of a diet and is somewhat used to it more than I am cuz I'm fairly new at it.
  • whittanywood0224
    whittanywood0224 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was on Warfarin and it is tough. There are some good recipes at drgourmet.com. Mushrooms have no vitamin K so eat as much as you want. Eggs are also very low. You can check inrtracker online and it can tell you how much vit k you're getting. I would recommend using a desktop to visit the page though. Its not very phone friendly, and there aren't any good apps. It takes a while to get used to not getting to eat kale or any of the veggies you love and its definitely a struggle but I hope this helps.
  • Jaimelton
    Options
    Thank yiu for those tools! I can definitely coordinate and see how much they want me having a week that way I can balance this better
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Call the doctor and get a referral to a dietitian. They'll get your info from the doc and work on a plan just for you.

It's really worth the short amount of time it takes. :)
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Call the doctor and get a referral to a dietitian. They'll get your info from the doc and work on a plan just for you.

It's really worth the short amount of time it takes. :)

+1 for this!

Best not to take the chance following the advice of random internet strangers on such an important matter. Speak with your doctor.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I was on blood thinners for 2 months this winter. The advice nowadays is not so much avoiding Vitamin K foods, but being consistent with intake. This means I was allowed a reasonable amount of any of the previously forbidden leafy greens, etc., but it was suggested that I eat the same amounts of them weekly. Some people go so far as to plan this out weekly - spinach on Mondays, kale on Wednesday, etc. Your dosage of Coumadin may need to be closely monitored and adjusted at the beginning if you add these foods to your diet. Ask your doctor.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Can you go on one of the newer agents that doesn't need blood monitoring because it's not affected by diet- eg rivaroxaban?
  • Jaimelton
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have an appointment to meet with a dietician already, and unfortunately I have to be on Coumadin for the type of heart valve and brain clot I have :(
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I will be on it for life if I have another blood clot. My doctor prefers Coumadin/warfarin because the effects can easily be reversed if necessary for accidents, emergency surgery, etc. The anti-coagulant effect of the newer drugs that don't need monitoring can NOT be reversed in an emergency.