Herbalife

Options
Hi,

I'm currently doing Herbalife. A shake for breakfast and lunch. Been doing it for a couple weeks.. Have a snack at mid morning and mid afternoon.
And a proper dinner
Saw a health nurse today, who advised that Herbalife is unhealthy. Advice please?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's been linked with liver failure...
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Listen to your health nurse.
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oh my god! Thank you
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Listen to your healthcare professional, and not random strangers on the internet. Not just regarding Herbalife, but all health matters.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    From the Journal of Hepatology
    http://www.hepato.com/p_tratamentos_alternativos/herbalife_1.pdf

In this issue of the Journal, two case report series from Israel and Switzerland ... describe incidents of severe
    liver injury along with the intake of a panel of different Herbalife products.
    ... Among the 22 cases of liver damage following Herbalife intake analyzed in the two reports, two patients
    developed fulminant hepatic failure requiring super urgent liver transplantation which saved one patient’s life
    while the second died due to postoperative complications.

Causality between the intake of Herba-life products and the evolution of liver injury was carefully assessed ...
    In five patients, causality was labelled ‘‘certain’’ ... and ‘‘probable’’ in additional 13 patients. Other potential
    causes were ruled out in all patients...
    Considering the patients in whom symptoms and signs of liver injury recurred following re-administration of
    Herbalife products, there appears to be little doubt that these products were the cause.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Eat a variety of real food, slightly less than your body needs to run, and you will lose weight while staying as
    healthy as possible. Exercise helps with the health part, but is not necessary for the losing weight part.
    Bonus: real food costs less, is widely available, and is good for your body (all of which Herbalife is not).
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Another reason to avoid herbalife is that it's a pyramid scheme.
    No good can come from that (other than the "pay it forward" movement).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Is it unhealthy? Probably. As are many things we eat.
    Is substituting food for (expensive) shakes a good way to lose weight? NO.
    If you're hoping to keep the weight OFF eat a variety of healthy foods, build in some snacks. Eat at a deficit. Move more.

The key to dieting is to LEARN how much food your body needs to lose and then how much it needs to maintain. You don't learn that by avoiding food. Does that make sense?
  • MKEgal
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbalife#Adverse_effects

[43]
    Elinav, E; Pinsker, G; Safadi, R; Pappo, O; Bromberg, M; Anis, E; Keinan-Boker, L; Broide, E et al. (2007).
    "Association between consumption of Herbalife nutritional supplements and acute hepatotoxicity".
    Journal of hepatology 47 (4): 514–20. doi:10.1016/j.jhep.2007.06.016. PMID 17692424.

[48]
    Schoepfer, AM; Engel, A; Fattinger, K; Marbet, UA; Criblez, D; Reichen, J; Zimmermann, A; Oneta, CM (2007).
    "Herbal does not mean innocuous: Ten cases of severe hepatotoxicity associated with dietary supplements from
    Herbalife products".

Journal of hepatology 47 (4): 521–6. doi:10.1016/j.jhep.2007.06.014. PMID 17692989.

[51]
    Manso, Gloria; López-Rivas, Laureano; Salgueiro, M. Esther; Duque, Jose M.; Jimeno, Francisco J.; Andrade, Raúl J.; Lucena, M. Isabel (2011).
    "Continuous reporting of new cases in Spain supports the relationship between Herbalife® products and liver injury".
    Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 20 (10): 1080–7. doi:10.1002/pds.2180. PMID 21751292.

[52]
    Chen, Gary C; Ramanathan, VS; Law, D; Funchain, P; Chen, GC; French, S; Shlopov, B; Eysselein, V et al. (2010).
    "Acute liver injury induced by weight-loss herbal supplements".
    World Journal of Hepatology 2 (11): 410–5. doi:10.4254/wjh.v2.i11.410. PMC 3004035. PMID 21173910.

[53]
    Jóhannsson, M; Ormarsdóttir, S; Olafsson, S (2010).
    "Hepatotoxicity associated with the use of Herbalife".
    Laeknabladid 96 (3): 167–72. PMID 20197595.

[54]
    Stickel, F; Droz, S; Patsenker, E; Bögli-Stuber, K; Aebi, B; Leib, SL (2009).
    "Severe hepatotoxicity following ingestion of Herbalife nutritional supplements contaminated with Bacillus subtilis".
    Journal of hepatology 50 (1): 111–7. doi:10.1016/j.jhep.2008.08.017. PMID 19010564.

[55]
    "[Toxic hepatitis by consumption Herbalife products a case report]".
    Acta Gastroenterol. Latinoam. 38 (4): 274–7. December 2008. PMID 19157382.

[56]
    Manso, Gloria; López-Rivas, Laureano; Duque, José María; Salgueiro, Esther (2008).
    "Spanish reports of hepatotoxicity associated with Herbalife® products".
    Journal of Hepatology 49 (2): 289–90. doi:10.1016/j.jhep.2008.05.007

[57]
    Duque, JM; Ferreiro, J; Salgueiro, E; Manso, G (2007).
    "Hepatotoxicity associated with the consumption of herbal slimming products".
    Medicina clinica 128 (6): 238–9. PMID 17335732
  • MKEgal
    Options
    And Pub Med is a good place to look for published research (on any health topic).
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    A year ago, when I wasn't eating completely clean, I tried Herbalife and did fine with it.

Now, I tried Herbalife again to kickstart some weight loss, and get violently ill. Super nauseous, stomach pain, digestive issues, etc. My theory is that all the synthetic crap they put in it don't agree with my system anymore, now that I'm overall healthier. :/
  • KikiBerry
    KikiBerry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just randomly clicked.. I'm glad I did. Thanks so much for posting the liver failure info. I did not know that.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Saw a health nurse today, who advised that Herbalife is unhealthy. Advice please?

Listen to the nurse.

• Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Is that just Herbalife brand or all protein powders?
  • wolfordwebsites
    wolfordwebsites Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No. Just no. CICO works all on its own.