Potassium Rich Recipes?

Options
I've been needing some help finding/creating recipes that have a lot of potassium, since I usually do not get enough. Any ideas?

Replies

• YamiElisa
    YamiElisa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not sure about recipies, but I do know that bananas are pretty high in potassium! Dates too. So perhaps a fruit salad with banana and date might up your potassium intake :)
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Both regular and sweet potatoes have a lot of potassium. Salmon and mushrooms are also good sources.

Also, be aware the potassium often gets left off nutrition information since its not required. So you may be getting more than you think. In the MFP database entries with USDA in the title tend to have potassium listed.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't getting enough? Potassium isn't required to be on labels so a lot of foods will have potassium even though it may not be on the label. This leads to a lot of incorrect entries in the database as well so if you are just going by what MFP tells you, it may not be right.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Is this deficiency determined by you or a physician? If you don't have the blood work, you don't have a deficiency.
  • pbbananacoffeechocolate
    Options
    Fruit and vegetables of all kinds are pretty rich in potassium, and beans and legumes are excellent. The numbers vary depending on which ones you choose, but if you focus on eating lots of plants, it adds up quickly.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Are you sure you aren't getting enough? Potassium isn't required to be on labels so a lot of foods will have potassium even though it may not be on the label. This leads to a lot of incorrect entries in the database as well so if you are just going by what MFP tells you, it may not be right.
    This is true. If you're using labels, you may be eating more than the MFP shows. Many companies don't include potassium on the labels.

But since most Americans don't get enough, it's likely that you don't, either. I'm not saying you're wrong.

Google for foods that are high in potassium. My favorite would be potatos. :)

• purplestain96
    purplestain96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Is this deficiency determined by you or a physician? If you don't have the blood work, you don't have a deficiency.

I never stated that I had a deficiency. I simply meant that I am not getting the RDA according to MFP.

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Anything with peaches. Banana and peach smoothie ect