Protein shakes

Options
2»

Replies

• lizznagelmiller
    lizznagelmiller Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I like 1 scoop muscletech peanut butter chocolate mixed in 1 cup dannon light and fit vanilla greek yogurt mmmmm :) 50 grams of protein and only 260 calories not too bad for something that tastes like dessert :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Mdamra wrote: »
    i have muscle milk chocolate protein powder
    Well that's your problem right there.
  • runner2014np
    runner2014np Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Core Power drinks. 2 versions: regular 26g of protein and light with 20g of protein. Comes in vanilla, chocolate, banana, and strawberry banana. Got hooked on when being passed out at half marathon. No bad aftertaste.
  • bell1973
    bell1973 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's the powder - try GNC Amplified powders. They are actually really good. I had sworn off powders until this brand. I like the vanilla and chocolate both. I use almond milk or coconut milk. 1 scoop only for weight loss. Good blends are coffee, bananas, frozen fruit such as peaches and tropical mixes, berries. Seriously - they are really good and my teens drink them too.
  • bell1973
    bell1973 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bell1973 wrote: »
    It's the powder - try GNC Amplified powders. They are actually really good. I had sworn off powders until this brand. I like the vanilla and chocolate both. I use almond milk or coconut milk. 1 scoop only for weight loss. Good blends are coffee, bananas, frozen fruit such as peaches and tropical mixes, berries. Seriously - they are really good and my teens drink them too.

and don't forget ICE the colder the better
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    _YourLoss_ wrote: »
    Like someone else hinted at, protein powder is meant to help you meet your protein quota for the day. However, I really like Dymatize ISO-100 fudge brownie flavor. It's *almost* like drinking brownie batter, if you're into that kinda thing. You should also do some research. Not all protein powders are created equally. :)

This and Dymatize ISO 100 birthday cake flavor. Yum!
  • leedle1965
    leedle1965 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Quest protein powder from GNC and Hydro 4 that comes from a local nutrition store. They are yummy! You can get them online as well.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Powder...in water. Drink it and move on. Or eat food.

Why did your post get flagged twice?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Why did your post get flagged twice?

I guess I sound like a meanie? That's just how I talk when I talk about protein. Crush it.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

There are a lot of things in life that are abusive ^ this isn't one of them lmao

Protein with water is the way to go
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    parmoute wrote: »
    On the same lines as the coffee creamer idea, you can add pudding mix to change up the flavor a little bit. It's really good with vanilla protein powder, a handful of strawberries, milk, and cheesecake flavored pudding! I haven't tried it with chocolate, but I don't see why you couldn't get some caramel pudding and throw in a handful of walnuts and coconut flakes (and maybe a packet of sweetener if you find the chocolate flavor a little bitter) and make a German-chocolate flavored smoothie.

I like adding ice cream to my smoothies. It's obviously not as healthy as other options, but when it's an ice cream flavored protein smoothie versus a bowl of ice cream, I think it's worth it. One example: chocolate base + mint chocolate chip ice cream + cucumber + spinach + (a drop of) peppermint extract.

If you don't like the ice cream idea, you could also try mixing your powder with chocolate milk/chocolate soy milk instead. The chocolate flavor in the milk might help mask what you don't like about the powder. I'm also a big fan of chocolate + peanut butter, but another way to mask the taste might be to blend in some frozen mixed berries. I find that the chocolate helps takes some of the bite out of the raspberry/blackberry flavor, but in your case the opposite effect might be just what you need.

Worst case scenario, you find a friend who's willing to buy the remaining powder off of you for a few bucks. Good luck!

good ideas, thanks...
  • slikorify
    slikorify Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I change how I have my protein a lot based on what I feel like doing. Last few days I've just been mixing it with oatbran and milk and heating it to make chocolate porridge. Powder I use I love the taste of even with just milk though so might not work for you. I use ON gold standard 100% whey (currently rocky road flavor, like to change each time I run out).

I know you said you wanted it to be low carb but I'm just trying to say that you can add it to a lot of things that you already eat during the day, which means if you're already eating those carbs you aren't adding anything but the powder. Like I have friends who heat peanut butter and mix protein powder in with that then have that just on toast or w/e, some people mix it with yoghurt, ice cream, make pancakes with it (or any other baking) etc etc
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My post-workout drink is 2 scoops of protein powder, water, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 2 tbsp oat bran, and 3 tbsp wheat bran. It doesn't taste bad. It doesn't taste good, either. But it has the protein, carbs and fiber I'm looking for.

Then for lunch I have a smoothie with protein powder and a lot of other stuff:

85.00 g (3 oz), Baby-cut Carrots - Ready to Eat
    0.25 tsp, Original Sodium-Free Alternative
    2.00 cup (225 g), Oikos Greek Yogurt, Plain
    13.00 g, 1 Tbsp, Black Chia Seeds Whole
    1.00 Cup (140g), Wild Blueberries
    1.00 medium tomato (148g), Organic Vine Ripe Tomato
    0.12 cup dry (40g), High Fiber Oat Bran Cereal
    3.00 Scoop, 100% Whey Protein Isolates (Extreme Milk Chocolate)
    8.00 fl oz (236 ml), Kroger 2% Milk
    1.00 medium, Avacado
    7.00 inch medium Banana
    0.19 cup(s), Wheat Bran
    3.00 oz, Kale

The lunch smoothie is around 70 ounces, 1382 calories, 140 grams protein, 138 grams carbs, and 38 grams fat. I then split it in half or thirds for lunch for the next two or three days.
  • cmoma1
    cmoma1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nectar is a delicious sugar free protein. I'm not a chocolate fan either. They have many flavors, and I love them all. Isopure is another good protein. You can find them both at Vitamin Shoppe. Also, you can try using unsweetened vanilla almond milk, to enhance the flavor.
  • Mahhafooznit
    Mahhafooznit Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just started eating better. I have the Progressive Vegan Protein Mix which is pretty harsh and I mix that with 1/2 cup of large flake oats, 1 tea spoon of cinnamon, 1 hard packed cup of spinach. Looks gross but you only taste the cinnamon and nothing else. Sometimes I added diced pineapple and diced cantelope, I am also Lactose intolerant and the Vegan Protein mix does not affect me so bonus. Oh yeah. I blend that up with my Ninja blender. But of course any blender would work great.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Yup.

Powder in water. It's the only good way to drink the stuff.

• zdemoguy
    zdemoguy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love this morning protein shake-

8 oz almond milk (vanilla unsweetened)
    1/2 cup ice
    1/2 frozen banana
    1 scoop Muscle Milk Protein powder
    1-2 teas sugar free pudding mix

Blend in blender. Tastes like a chocolate banana milk shake!
  • Neefa_girl
    Neefa_girl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie out of mine.. Choc protein powder, strawberries, dates, blueberries and banana mixed with either milk or coconut water! :smile:
  • pthornsbearry
    pthornsbearry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mdamra wrote: »
    i have muscle milk chocolate protein powder, I've tried it with almond milk and could not finish it due to the taste. I don't really like chocolate but I don't want to waste the money I spent, so then I tried it with iced black coffee which wasn't that bad but I don't want to consume that much caffeine. I also don't want decaff. Any ideas for a chocolate protein shake (low carbs and sugar) ?

Yes try it with water and 2tbs of plain Greek yogurt plus strawberries.