3 stone and only down one dress size ?

Options
hi ,

I'm hoping someone can help
Explain / console / motivate me

When I started I was a size 18 (I'll
Admit they were getting a little tight but not uncomfortable) I've now lost 3 stone and I'm a size 16. A comfortable size 16 but not loose.

Anyone know why this might be ? I know water weight / toning up can factor in but I was hoping to at least be a size 14 after losing 3 stone.

I know every shop is different and all that but I'm getting really down about it now. My original goal was to lose 2 more stone so 5 stone total to be a size 10-12 but it looks like if I lose that I'll only be s size 14.

I guess I'm just looking for a little support and motivation at the moment I'm on a bit of a Debbie downer

: )

Replies

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've actually never really thought about this before, but thinking of geometry, volume, and 3D shapes . . . couldn't there be a bigger difference between a 16 and an 18 than between a 2 and a 4 (for example)?

Also, don't dwell on this too much. Why?

1. As you said, you know different clothing lines are not consistent in their sizing.
    2. If you're talking about dress sizes, remember that you lose fat from different parts of your body at different times, and you're going to have to wear the size that equals your biggest part (so your hips could have gone down a size, but you'll still have to put on the size dress that fits your chest, or vice versa).
    3. Plus, just looking around it is clear that many people are wearing clothes that are too (sometimes much too) small for them. If your 18s were getting tight, you may have gone down two sizes, not one.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    It took 25-30 lbs for me to go from an 18 down to a 16 (US sizes). And the reference point I'm using is when I was willing to wear either size in public, not just when they'd go over my behind and could be fastened with a great struggle.

I've lost about 20 more pounds since fitting (comfortably) into size 16's and all my size 14's are still unwearable.

Sizes vary, but so does worn vs. new. Worn-in and stretched out 18's could be more similar to new unworn 20's than 18's.
    Also, if you just began losing weight, it's common in the beginning to see more inches lost in the upper body than the lower.

The good news is that less weight and less inches are required to lose the lower in sizes you go. :)
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have actually been sitting here thinking of my sewing patterns and there is no way that the difference in volume between a 16 and an 18 is the same as between a 2 and a 4. The clothing is larger in three dimensions.
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think measuring yourself and taking photo's gives you a much better picture of how your size changed.
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So,

You've gone from a large 18 to a normal 18, to a small 18/ large 16, to a normal 16?

Well done you!