Fitbit + work = confusion

Options
corwinKB
corwinKB Posts: 13 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I work at a state park where I walk a lot! The other day I was trimming a mountain bike trail and ended up walking something like 6 miles around the loop.

I also weed whip, clean bathrooms, dig fence posts in, lift full garbage bins, do construction, painting, and some enforcement/patrolling.

So the other day I saw my fitbit had me at 33,000+ steps and a deficit of 1700 calories. At midnight I'm not sitting down to a thanksgiving meal. I don't want to be undereating as well.

So I'm wondering how accurate are fitbit sensors, how do I account for a job that has me working hard all day and how do I avoid not eating enough

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    corwinKB wrote: »
    So I work at a state park where I walk a lot! The other day I was trimming a mountain bike trail and ended up walking something like 6 miles around the loop.

So the other day I saw my fitbit had me at 33,000+ steps and a deficit of 1700 calories.

Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, then increase your activity level. You'll start with more calories in the morning and get smaller adjustments.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I lost the weight & have maintained for a year by trusting my Fitbit. Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight (or maintain)—never the minimum.
  • corwinKB
    Options
    My problem now is my job literally exhausts me to the point I don't wake up for breakfast.

On a typical summer day I wake up, eat something random and then go for a 20-30min/ run walk thing following C210k's program.

After that I come home, jump in the pool to cool off after stretching and then eat more randomness.

At work (last weekend for example) it was hot, muggy, nasty out yet I was averaging a daily total of 15,000 steps at work alone. This is counting cleaning bathrooms, emptying buckets, weed whipping, foot patrolling the 5000 acre park etc.

Then I come home do 15-20 of stretching, take a shower and pass out.

Usually by my weekend I'm so burned out I sleep in til 1 or 2pm. I typically miss breakfast every day and struggle with trying to get my calories in.

Another part of the equation is that I have PKD. Not losing weight isn't an option. So with that being said....HELP ME!!!!!!!!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    You have 68lbs to lose. I don't see the problem, frankly. You're not going to not lose weight because you burned too many calories.

You'll probably shed weight quite quickly at first, then as you get more endurance and aren't as tired and have a lower burn, you'll both have more energy to eat more and will be burning less, so you'll hit maintenance.

What are you worried about? More than a 1000-calorie deficit is perfectly fine for someone with that much weight to lose.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing this job for a while, you are CLEARLY eating too much, anyway. If it's a new job, you'll adjust.

"Eat something random" = breakfast. I'm suspicious that you eat a ton more than you think you do if this isn't a new job.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't see a lot of consistent logging actually...how do you know how much you are really eating.

And what I could see logged some was fine...some was eh...like 1/3 less fat cream cheese...try full fat if you need more calories.

And what I could see logged you are getting in lots of food...

The question is are you losing? Quick enough or too fast?
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, then increase your activity level. You'll start with more calories in the morning and get smaller adjustments.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I lost the weight & have maintained for a year by trusting my Fitbit. Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight (or maintain)—never the minimum.

Start logging everyday and do what she said ^.
    Also, make sure your MFP activity level is at least "Active".
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is pretty spot on for TDEE burn. So sit down and be really really honest about what you're putting in your mouth. Warts and all honest. Do that and you've got this.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    corwinKB wrote: »
    Another part of the equation is that I have PKD. Not losing weight isn't an option. So with that being said....HELP ME!!!!!!!!

With polycystic kidney disease, it's important to keep your blood pressure in check. Lose weight, avoid sodium, don't smoke, get plenty of exercise—and try not to stress so much.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Seems plausible. A big guy working hard? I can see that you would have quite a large calorie allotment to work with.

Fitbits are pretty accurate for things like you are doing, however, something to think about is vibration. If you are using the wrist band and using a weedeater, you are likely getting some false readings there. You can always do a sanity check - next time you weedeat a trail, you know how long the trail is, so just start your activity timer, do the trail, then check the mileage at the end and see how much credit it gave you.

Anyhow, use this big deficit to your advantage. The undereating issues will likely not apply to you since 1) you have 68 lbs to lose and 2) you are probably eating quite a bit even though your net might be low (in other words, you are eating enough food to get your nutritional requirements and your body is just burning more fat to make up the energy).

Here's the big "but": You said your job wears you out to the point that you are sleeping in until 1-2pm... THis is an indication that 1) you really are working hard, but 2) you probably need to eat more carbs - yeah I said it! CARBS! As hard as you are working, you need to replenish glycogen in your muscles, so eat cereals, bagels, potatos, pasta, etc. Eat like an athlete. I big complex carby meal at the end of the day will do wonders for your recovery.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty active job as well. Can easily get 20,000 in a day. I tend to ignore the calorie adjustment, or just eat back half. I've continued to lose weight, I don't have energy crashes, and I'm not starving. My best advice is to listen to your body. If you feel like your starving for nutrients and energy, eat some of it back. Keep track of about how much you need to eat back to where your body feels good. If you're finding that you need to eat back most of those to be able to function (very possible), best bet is higher density foods like nut butters, nuts, oils when cooking, etc.
  • corwinKB
    Options
    I appreciate all the advice.
  • corwinKB
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Start logging everyday and do what she said ^.
    Also, make sure your MFP activity level is at least "Active".

I checked, negative calorie adjustments is enabled
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I typically miss breakfast every day and struggle with trying to get my calories in.

Pre-planning is key!

For breakfast, you could make a smoothie in about 5 minutes and drink it on your way to work. I like peanut butter, banana, protein powder, egg and for liquid, half weak coffee and half almond Teeccino, which is an herbal coffee substitute.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have found that a huge deficit made me sick and totally spent and a slight deficit made me feel good and energized. I also do better eating a huge breakfast after my morning run (oatmeal, strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, chia seeds with almond milk. The other two meals are smaller and lots on snaking in between like apple, snack bar, tree nuts etc. Fitbit can be way off when you have lots of random or vibrating movement.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    On days when I weed eat or am doing lots of sweeping/mopping/raking, I put my Fitbit in my pocket. It still counts most of my steps, but not the unnecessary movements.
  • sarkrisd
    sarkrisd Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    On days when I weed eat or am doing lots of sweeping/mopping/raking, I put my Fitbit in my pocket. It still counts most of my steps, but not the unnecessary movements.

This. It would be a good experiment to wear your Fitbit on a belt loop or in a pocket to see how many steps it records versus when it is on your wrist. Also, adjust your activity level if you need to.
  • corwinKB
    Options
    I've had it in my pocket all day. Seems about the same to me.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You said that your job totally exhausts you and that you have a hard time getting up for breakfast....and that you sleep till 1-2 on the weekends. Not sure but perhaps that is your body telling you it needs more fuel to keep up with what you are doing physically. I know when I under eat after a strenous workout I'm wiped out the next day. If I eat back some of those calories I'm fine. Start paying attention to what your body is telling you on days where you have had significantly more calories while doing the same work. Is it the same? Do a test.