Getting More Protein

Options
Looking for good advice on how to pack in more protein with minimal calories. I work out at 6 am and can't do shakes before my work out cause they make me feel sick. Right now I just eat 2 pieces of gluten free toast before the gym and often cottage cheese afterwards. Not a shake fan. Anyone have any secrets or tips?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Soybeans (edamame)
    Low-fat dairy
    Tuna
    Eggs
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Purdue pre cut bags of chicken.
    Protein powder, mix it with oatmeal if you're not into shakes
    protein bars
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Meat
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Meat

^^^^^
  • RangerZwolfe
    RangerZwolfe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Fusionbrands-Silicone-Non-Stick-Stainless-Poaching/dp/B004GJXDIW

Poached Eggs and a slice of Rye toast I sometimes add some extra sharp cheddar. I work on keeping carbs down. And this is my go to breakfast if I'm not having a coffee protein shake.
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Looking for good advice on how to pack in more protein with minimal calories. I work out at 6 am and can't do shakes before my work out cause they make me feel sick. Right now I just eat 2 pieces of gluten free toast before the gym and often cottage cheese afterwards. Not a shake fan. Anyone have any secrets or tips?

Greek Yogurt. Low fat, Non-fat, high-fat. Your choice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fish, poultry, and lean cuts of beef and pork myself.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Lean meat has the best protein for the calories.
  • IHeartEarth
    IHeartEarth Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    They're expensive, but I've been buying Quest bars and chips. They're both high in protein (21 g per bar I think), low in net carbs and quite satisfying to me. I'm carb restricting so they are very helpful. So far I have tried: Coconut Cashew, Berry Bliss, and Cookie Dough bars and have liked them all. On the chip side, I like the Cheddar and Sour Cream. These things are not meal replacements. I still focus on getting lean meats, veggies, etc. These are a supplement for me.
  • secretsydney
    secretsydney Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Make your own "no bake bars"

All you need is

Oats
    Peanut butter
    Protein powder
    Water
    Honey (if you like a sweeter)
  • secretsydney
    secretsydney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mix it all together and press it into a tin and leave in the fridge for a few hours to set
  • corriebenedict
    corriebenedict Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    They're expensive, but I've been buying Quest bars and chips. They're both high in protein (21 g per bar I think), low in net carbs and quite satisfying to me. I'm carb restricting so they are very helpful. So far I have tried: Coconut Cashew, Berry Bliss, and Cookie Dough bars and have liked them all. On the chip side, I like the Cheddar and Sour Cream. These things are not meal replacements. I still focus on getting lean meats, veggies, etc. These are a supplement for me.

THANK YOU!!! That is very helpful. I'm trying to lean more towards a pescetarian lifestyle, incorporating more seafood and less meats which I should have mentioned. I have to be gluten free due to celiacs but I'm going to check these out. Are you finding them at health food stores or do you have to special order them?

• corriebenedict
    Options

Make your own "no bake bars"

All you need is

Oats
    Peanut butter
    Protein powder
    Water
    Honey (if you like a sweeter)

I did just find a recipe for chocolate peanut butter oat bars and the protein powder my husband has now is also chocolate peanut butter...and I didn't even think to toss some of that in there...but I will now!! Thanks so much!!
  • corriebenedict
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Fusionbrands-Silicone-Non-Stick-Stainless-Poaching/dp/B004GJXDIW

Poached Eggs and a slice of Rye toast I sometimes add some extra sharp cheddar. I work on keeping carbs down. And this is my go to breakfast if I'm not having a coffee protein shake.

Poach pod! How cool!! I love eggs for breakfast but I'm really on the fly in the morning. I go to crossfit from 6 to 7 and have to walk the dog, be showed and at work by 8:30!! In another post I did find a recipe recommended by MFP for Freezer breakfast Quesadillas. I made them last night with what I had left on hand of my Gluten Free Tofuyan wraps and pressed one on the George Foreman this morning. After a dollop of 0% greek yogurt I got in 17 grams of protein...and they were even better than I had expected!!

Recipe:
    http://www.slenderkitchen.com/frozen-breakfast-quesadillas/
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are great for 'on the run' protein. Albacore tuna packed in water in those foil packs...low calorie and pack a LOT of protein.
  • corriebenedict
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are great for 'on the run' protein. Albacore tuna packed in water in those foil packs...low calorie and pack a LOT of protein.

Tuna packets! I can get down with that!
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt, then peanut butter in my oatmeal. Nice filling breakfast and gives me good energy at the gym. I'm not hungry again till noon