Clothing sizes

Options
I fit into a UK size 10/12, and I'm at a low healthy weight. However I see others at higher weights fitting into 6s and 8s...am I just naturally wider or what? I'm also super tall so idk if that plays a factor. Just curious really

Replies

• katerinabowler
    katerinabowler Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're tall a 10/12 will look slimmer than on a short person.
    For example a 28 inch waist on a 5'10 woman is proportionally smaller than on a 5'0 woman.
    I'm 5'7 bmi 20.4 size UK 10. I am still carrying quite a lot of body fat though. If my body mass were more lean muscle I would be a smaller clothing size.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Everyone's weight is distributed differently and it depends on your bone structure too (some people's hipbones and ribcages are certainly just wider than other people's.) Sometimes the stores you shop in play a part too - someone who's a 10 in one designer might find themselves a 6 in another.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I weigh 10kg more than my mother in law, and we both wear a UK 16. She has more body fat for her height I think.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue. I swear everyone my weight wears significantly smaller sizes than I do. I wear a 14/16 and everyone else I've seen post that is my weight wears between an 8 and a 10.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    their weight may be more muscle weight, which is more condensed and firmer than fat.

they also may be taller/ shorter - which can affect how weight is distributed.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Also, it depends on the retailer and the cut of the clothes. There have been days when I've fit into a Topshop size 12 and then not fit into one of their 16s.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe everyone else is lying about their size to make themselves feel better and/or you to feel bad?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Maybe everyone else is lying about their size to make themselves feel better and/or you to feel bad?

It's a conspiracy! :p

Not really. I wear ridiculously low sizes for my weight...all of my fat is in my belly and boobs. I'm skinny everywhere else. I also have an EXTREMELY long torso, which accounts for a lot of the weight. At one point I found someone here who weighs about 60 pounds less than me who wears exactly the same jeans that I do.

We also have different proportions and different amounts of muscle. Bodies are strange.

OP, do you lift?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I tend to wear my clothes on the "baggy" side. I'm all about comfort versus the "painted on" look. Just another joy of being 60+