Spartan Races

Options
Hey ya'll

First and foremost, I am not even close to physically fit. Just getting that out of the way. My trainer is creating a team for the race and she is offering a free training session to any of her clients that participate with the team. Plus ya know....the whole ordeal itself is kinda cool. It would cost me about 75$ for the ticket. Which if I get a free training session on top of that (costs approx 30-40$ usually) then it kinda evens out in worth cost wise. Aside from cost..... My biggest concern is that I wont be able to do the challenges. The event is about 3 months away, so that's how long I have to train if I buy the ticket and go through with this.

If anyone has participated that could provide some input that d be great. Especially if you're like me (out of shape), I'd love to know how well the obstacles and overall sprint worked out for you.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I've done other obstacle races, but not this one specifically.

I'd watch videos of past races to see what kind of obstacles you'd be up against, and maybe see what worked and didn't work for people trying to overcome them. Having a team will be a huge help, because you'll have people to give you a leg up when you're climbing a huge wall or something.

If you're not competing to win (which it sounds like you're not), you can always go around an obstacle if you absolutely can't do it. You'll be DQ from the event, but you can finish out the course.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Spartans involve more upper body strength than a lot of the other races. Monkey bars for 5-10 feet. Flipping a 50-100 lb tire. Rope climb. There's also quite a bit of balance too.

Any obstacle you fail or can't do, you can do 30 burpees instead and then move on. And you can help each other over the walls, or cargo nets etc. The sprints are at least 4km long, if not 5 or 6. If your trainer doesn't have a problem with you joining, then you'll probably be just fine and have a blast. I have never seen a grumpy/sad person at a Spartan.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My husband did the Super early last month and he focused most of his training on running the mileage with little weight training -- he did NOT prepare for the burpees. By the end of the 10+ mile race... I could see he was completely exhausted. He's doing the Sprint next week and he's been working on his upper strength more and his burpee skills -- all of this preparing for the Beast in the fall.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ok so two thoughts.... YES you can definitely do it. But, it's going to depend on your goals and such on how you feel about it. Spartan is definitely not what i would call and entry level OCR. It's hard, and they make it like that on purpose. If you go into it expecting to need a lot of help, to be pushed to your limit, to possibly do lots of burpees (I ended up doing 5 sets of 30 burpees for my first Spartan), and just going to finish that I'd say go for it. However, it depends on how you tolerate something challenging. I usually suggest first timers start out with something like Warrior Dash or Rugged Maniac and work their way up to Spartan, since it can be very overwhelming to do something outside of your comfort zone.

My second thought: you say team, are you going to stay together and help each other? Or are you going to start together and meet up at the finish? I've done many races by myself and always end up making a friend along the way. And I have never not been able to find someone to give me a boost over walls and things. But it is definitely much easier when you have a team that sticks together. Something you may want to consider.

OCRs are probably my favorite way to spend my time lol so I would definitely recommend you give one a try! Whether its Spartan, or a different race. Feel free to friend me or PM me if you have questions. I also second gdyment's suggestion on making sure to have decent upper body strength. Lots of walls, rope climbs, moneybars etc. Good luck!!
  • krrbrr
    krrbrr Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything workoutgirl87 said!

I did the Spartan race 2 summers ago @ 195 lbs (I'm 5'6"). I had been working out, but was NOT in "shape" by any means! You can definitely do this and having a team with you will help you tremendously! The fellow racers also helped out more than you can imagine! The obstacle that tried my mind the most was the 1/4 mile, packed mud, uphill, under the barb wire crawl. It was near the end of the race and I was so exhausted and beaten up at that point that it took me an hour to finish that one obstacle. If it weren't for other racers catching me as I slipped repeatedly I would NOT have made it. (I ended up finishing in 3 hrs 21 mins, so don't worry about taking a long time, finishing was the goal for me)

I was beaten up pretty bad physically after this race, but don't let it scare you from finishing it. I had never felt as mentally strong as I did after I crossed that finish line!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok so two thoughts.... YES you can definitely do it. But, it's going to depend on your goals and such on how you feel about it. Spartan is definitely not what i would call and entry level OCR. It's hard, and they make it like that on purpose. If you go into it expecting to need a lot of help, to be pushed to your limit, to possibly do lots of burpees (I ended up doing 5 sets of 30 burpees for my first Spartan), and just going to finish that I'd say go for it. However, it depends on how you tolerate something challenging. I usually suggest first timers start out with something like Warrior Dash or Rugged Maniac and work their way up to Spartan, since it can be very overwhelming to do something outside of your comfort zone.

My second thought: you say team, are you going to stay together and help each other? Or are you going to start together and meet up at the finish? I've done many races by myself and always end up making a friend along the way. And I have never not been able to find someone to give me a boost over walls and things. But it is definitely much easier when you have a team that sticks together. Something you may want to consider.

OCRs are probably my favorite way to spend my time lol so I would definitely recommend you give one a try! Whether its Spartan, or a different race. Feel free to friend me or PM me if you have questions. I also second gdyment's suggestion on making sure to have decent upper body strength. Lots of walls, rope climbs, moneybars etc. Good luck!!

All of that.

Which race are you doing? Is it a Stadium Sprint? Those are much different than the normal Sprints....and I would recommend them as a first race. There is a July Sprint here in PA that I really don't recommend as a starting race since it is up a ski mountain and very, very hard. However....I know people that are doing it as their first race. It is very doable. You just mentally want to be prepared for what you are getting into. I promise you if you do a race and finish it, you will not regret it. And you have a high chance of getting addicted (fair warning).....before you know it you'll be like me road tripping all over the North East doing Spartan's and OCRs almost every weekend.... :smiley:

Feel free to PM or add me as well for questions/more info.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do it

This year will be my 2nd Spartan Sprint I complete. I am no where near my fitness goal and I couldn't complete most of the obstacles that involve upper body strength. The people who participate in spartan will encourage and push you and you will have a blast when you reach that finish line and get that medal.

now some warnings.

1 - This race will break you, you will reach your wall and you will need to dig deep inside you to push past the soreness and pain and continue
    2- you will get dirty
    3 - Injuries are a possibility no matter how careful you are
    4 - Love burpees now
    5 - Just finish
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    krrbrr wrote: »
    I agree with everything workoutgirl87 said!

I did the Spartan race 2 summers ago @ 195 lbs (I'm 5'6"). I had been working out, but was NOT in "shape" by any means! You can definitely do this and having a team with you will help you tremendously! The fellow racers also helped out more than you can imagine! The obstacle that tried my mind the most was the 1/4 mile, packed mud, uphill, under the barb wire crawl. It was near the end of the race and I was so exhausted and beaten up at that point that it took me an hour to finish that one obstacle. If it weren't for other racers catching me as I slipped repeatedly I would NOT have made it. (I ended up finishing in 3 hrs 21 mins, so don't worry about taking a long time, finishing was the goal for me)

I was beaten up pretty bad physically after this race, but don't let it scare you from finishing it. I had never felt as mentally strong as I did after I crossed that finish line!

@workoutgrl87 Yes it would be my first and by team, one of the trainers plan to run up ahead and lead the team while another stays with the very last person, we may get scattered, but the point is we'll never be alone or finish alone, they want us to finish as a team. Part of me feels like with the 3 months, id have a close goal to keep me motivated and put in the hard work. And I kinda feel like I can do this....part of me is mentally stuck at "youre 204lbs....you cant even do a pull up....whyre you gonna waste money and disappoint the team" So yeah.....

@krrbrr I greatly appreciate your input with the body details, I am 5'7-5'8 and weigh 204/206 as of now. I took two weeks off from training and eating healthy recently otherwise I would've been 200 or slightly under. *face palm* Were there people still trying to finish around the same time you were? And I love that last remark, Im kinda hoping that if I join itll be a great mental boost. All I really want to achieve is this:

1) Show up
    2)Put in the effort
    3) Be able to complete the obstacles
    4) Finish

I don't expect to finish first or even finish in 2hrs, I want to finish, to be able to say "I came to finish, that much I conquered"
  • garrettwright08
    garrettwright08 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in doing a Spartan race, how many can be on your team? Where can you find out more info about these races?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Do it!!! If your trainer believes you can - you can! Plus you'd be going with a group which improves the experience tenfold!

Seriously you'll have a great time and your first will make you train for the obstacles you couldn't finish...and then you'll finish those on your next race.

Obstacle Course Racing (OCR) is fantastic - best group of people out there and you'll see some amazing folks.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm going to disagree slightly.

You're going to see a good number of out-of-shape people attempting OCRs; however, the risk of injury can be significant if you're not already in decent shape. I know a guy who tore a hamstring while attempting to run up the Everest obstacle at a Tough Mudder, for example. I also saw an out-of-shape woman fall from a small cargo net obstacle and land flat on her back, which was scary. (Admittedly, in her case, it might have been because she was too hasty.)

If it's not something easy such as a Warrior Dash, then I would think twice before doing this. Do you think you can handle the running without injuring yourself, for example? If it's a Spartan Race, then I suggest starting with the Sprint before attempting a Super or a Beast version.

As I said, I do see some out-of-shape people doing these things, and they do generally survive. Just please consider the degree of risk. If your trainer thinks you can do it, then that's a good sign -- but please don't rely on his word alone.

One last note: I tend to roll my eyes at couch potatoes who don't train and yet attempt a Tough Mudder or Spartan Race, just to say that they did it. That's not a very healthy attitude in approaching these events. If you are training and preparing though, then regardless of your actual fitness level, I have to salute you for that. It's a rewarding hobby, and it's a great way to motivate one's self to get better and better.

• spartan_d
    Options
    One last thought... you said that this race is three months away. (Are you doing the Atlanta Super?) That's plenty of time to get into decent running shape, insofar as you'll be used to running and can gauge your abilities. You might not be in good shape just yet, but you can have a pretty good idea of what you can and can't do without too much risk. It will require serious effort and consistency, though.
  • garrettwright08
    Options
    I'm looking at the one next March in Houston Texas, which gives me 8 months to train. I have been trying to do a more well rounded training. March 7th my wife is due with our 3rd kid and the 28th of that month I'll turn 30 and I think this is an excellent goal for myself. I've been in the farming and ranching my whole life, my kids are the 6th generation farmer/rancher and have always been active but not in the best shape I think I can be, so I'm changing that. And I am starting out doing the sprint first
  • LacednLace
    Options
    Just to update everyone, there have been a lot of reasons (mostly excuses---but a few valid reasons) that I have not been actively training since this post. I still go approx 3 days a week for strength training. But that's not nearly the same as going 5x a week and with cardio. Our trainer also canceled her participation, she has a few competitions shes getting ready for and chose not to do this race. With that all being said, I am aiming to participate next year. That will give me plenty of time to get back on track (mentally, emotionally, and physically), give me time to train, and give me a heads up to plan for the purchase of my ticket. At least next year ill be able to buy when they're 40$ not 90$!!! So yeah. But I'm very appreciative of all the feedback. I have been reading it and debating and I decided that it would be a lot of money to put into something that I have not properly prepared for and I am not up for risking any injury.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I think they're stupid. You can seriously hurt yourself, and for what?

• LacednLace
    Options
    I think they're pretty awesome actually. Its just a bunch of physical fitness obstacles with some sprints in between and burpees if you cant complete the challenge. To me I don't see a serious risk of injury unless there's no way you can physically complete the obstacles and in that case, why would you intentionally put yourself at risk? Aka, if you know you cant lift 300lbs, start at a reasonable weight that you can lift.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just did my first ever Spartan Sprint two weeks ago - tons of fun, but really tough, ha ha!

I run 5km regularly and the Sprints are supposed to be 5km, but ours ended up at around 6.8km (not counting distance traveled in obstacles) all on super-hilly ski hills. Like, 30% incline or more for probably 800m (the big hill) kind of ski hills. It took it out of me completely - I had to walk between several of the obstacles and couldn't really push up through some of the longer hills. I didn't do hill training, though, so that was my fault.

I also missed 3 of the 20 obstacles - the "balance beam" thing (I tried to go too fast and I followed too close to the person in front of me and had to stop suddenly), the spear-throw (can't throw one of those to save my life - also never practiced) and the rope climb (dry rope starting on land, I can climb no issue. Trying to jump onto one out of a pool of muddy water on a bed of mud and grip a mud-slick rope? Nope).

There's definitely a chance of injury if you're not trained for it, though.

Atlas Carries/Bucket Brigade has you carrying near 35lbs (men carry 40-50) - on some courses, it might be easier, but the course we were on had us lugging this thing up a 30% incline for 300m uphill, 300m downhill with uneven terrain. Most women ended up dumping 80% of their bucket contents at the top of the hill. I love my deadlifts and heavy lifting and knew to lock out my arms carrying this thing - my boyfriend (in general much stronger than me) tried holding his by its ridges and, due to weak back muscles and poor leverage use, ended up with a seriously overworked back for the rest of the race and the week after.

Scrambling over walls, it's easy to wrench a shoulder, catch a foot on something or fall the wrong way. If you're careful, you're good, but if you're reckless, you're gonna have a bad time.

Also, I advise against thinking "it's just a bunch of physical fitness obstacles with sprints in between and burpees". Their burpees are squat jumps with a full push up in between - 30 of them in a row. The "sprints" are often going to be on insane hills (unless you live in flatlands, then maybe not). The "fitness obstacles" will usually have weights ranging from 20-50lbs (tire flips and atlas stones might be heavier) and include monkey bars and clambering over walls taller than you.

But you're right - train hard, train smart and account for the movements you'll need to do and you should be fine. We had a lady running with us who didn't really train hard and, with lots of help from the rest of us, she got over most just fine and got through her burpees okay.

I definitely recommend doing a lot of hill training, sprint training, endurance running, pull up progressions, monkey bars (just head to a park and do monkey bars until you can out-monkey a grade schooler), lifting heavy and doing a crap-ton of full-form burpees.

Day of, make sure you're hydrated and wear sunscreen. Especially if it's hot. I also recommend those rubber-dipped gardening gloves and taking a gander at wall-climbing (watch some tutorial vids, you can figure out the most efficient, effortless way to climb).

But definitely have fun. It's a blast and it's really awesome.
  • keylope
    keylope Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Spartan races are fun. You definitely want to train for endurance and strength. Most people don't run between obstacles unless if you're trying to get a certain time for yourself.

I found out after running my first race that I wasn't prepared as much as I thought, but I had a great time. My biggest weakness for the race was my grip strength, lower back, and triceps.

Grip strength will help you in the monkey bars, rope climb, walls, herc hoist, etc. Lower back for the bucket brigade. Triceps for all the pulling and carrying that you'll be doing. You'll definitely want to practice your burpees and hill training as a general rule.

These are things that I'm concentrating on and have been seeing improvements with each race.

I was fortunate to have a buddy run it with me and we helped each other out and kept each other going. But most everyone on the course is willing to help if you ask for it.

Finally, make sure you have good shoes for the event. Regular street running shoes aren't the best option. Good luck in your training! Don't give up and keep going.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    LacednLace wrote: »
    To me I don't see a serious risk of injury unless there's no way you can physically complete the obstacles and in that case, why would you intentionally put yourself at risk?
    There are ways. Carrying heavy objects over inclines and long distances, for example, can produce some pretty serious muscle injuries if you're woefully unprepared. For that matter, so can the running, if you're not ready for it. This would be less of a concern on the Sprint, of course, but on the Beast... yeah, there's a good risk of running injuries if you're not ready.
  • garrettwright08
    Options
    What are the best kind of shoes for the challenge?