Workout at home ideas

Options
I work out at home. Mine and my boyfriends schedules are the complete opposite with two kids I don't have the time to make it to the gym i've been doing the fitness marshall on YouTube (little hip hop butt twerk videos thay are very fun) I recently got an ipod to try and get up early before work and go on walks. But other then that I'm not sure one what else to do

Replies

• _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good apps and at home workout programs the most popular seem to be
    P90X
    Insanity
    30 Day shred

Body weight squats
    Jump squats
    Wall squats
    single leg dead lifts
    jumping jacks
    Push ups
    Pull ups
    jumping jacks
    high knees
    mummy kicks
    burpies
    mountain climbers
    planks
    c sits
    flutter kicks
    crunches
    Go running / walking / hiking
    stair repeats on the nearest set of stairs you can find

basically find a way to move and sweat for 30-60 minutes daily. Engaging your bigger muscles (legs, butt, back, chest) in compound movements will maximize your time.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com is a great free resource for all sorts of videos and you can search by type, length and difficulty. Personally I love working out at home, no commute, everything is right there with me and I'm setting a great example for my kids (sometimes they even join me). I love switching between strength videos, HIIT and cardio and of course my all time favorite Kettle Bells. Pinterest also has some pretty general workouts you can search up either for weights or body weight alone.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. Mine and my boyfriends schedules are the complete opposite with two kids I don't have the time to make it to the gym i've been doing the fitness marshall on YouTube (little hip hop butt twerk videos thay are very fun) I recently got an ipod to try and get up early before work and go on walks. But other then that I'm not sure one what else to do

You can walk in place while watching television or play with your two kids and cook and clean and dance and more walking in place and lifting weights or play with a kettlebell or two or chase your kids in the back yard and do housework such as sweeping and mopping and vacuuming and if you do all these things all the time then you don't need to go to the gym or even get a ipod.
  • ediewharton
    ediewharton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 30 day shred plus cardio intervals for 20 minutes. I have also added near nightly walks into my routine.
    Popsugar fitness has some good videos as well as cafemom studios and Jessica Smith.
    Also, look on Pinterest (I will preview the video to see what I like).
    Youtube is great for free stuff and you can also buy videos on Amazon and then stream them on your iPad or computer, etc.
    I tend to workout in my bedroom with my 5 year old as company and "help." I have four kids. I find it so much easier to workout at home.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    I have practically a whole gym in my house having invested in a heavy punching bag, elliptical, treadmill, bicycle, chin up bar, rowing machine, bench press, weights. My suggestion would be ankle weights and a elastic band. Between these two things you can do a lot of exercises.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You can always try yoga
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Restistance bands, kettlebells (look at living fit revolution website for workouts), and a jump rope can give you an awesome at home workout without investing a lot of money or taking up a lot of space. @_reno_ gave you some great body weight exercises that you can do too!

I started a workout the other day were I did rounds of specific exercises (lunges, two types of squats, and kettlebell swings) with jumping rope at the end of each round. The first round I completed one of each exercise and twenty jumps on the jump rope. Next round was two of each exercise and 40 jumps, then three of each exercise and sixty jumps, four of each and 80 jumps, a 60-90 second rest. Each round you keep adding one of each exercise and adding 20 jumps (I maxed the jumps at 100 each round). I only could complete 6 full rounds and my legs felt like jello for the rest of the day! I have did this workout with arm exercises and ab exercises too and kept the jumping rope portion of the workout. Also, after you get to four or more rounds you take a rest.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I ran into this it's kinda fun so farcontent://com.sec.android.app.sbrowser/readinglist/0707085116.mhtml