Protein suggestions

Options
MamaHokie
MamaHokie Posts: 36 Member
What's your favorite way to add protein to your diet without adding a lot of extra fat? Please don't try to sell me something - I'm looking for whole food ideas or recipes.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,423 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, protein shakes, grilled chicken in salads, egg whites.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts or tuna. Those are pretty my most frequent sources of protein.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Poultry
    Pork
    Beef or veal
    Game meats
    Cottage cheese
    Cheese in general
    Sausages
    Jerky
    Sashimi
    Fresh Fish
    Caviar
    Wasabi peas
    Beans, lentils, legumes
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Milk
    Nuts and seeds
    Nut butters
    Mushrooms
    Liver and other organ meats
    Fermented soy
    Whey powder
    Canned Fish
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am so surprised to know mushrooms have protein :) happy about that :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Tuna, Greek yogurt, quinoa instead of rice, chicken, whey protein powder/shakes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do you eat meat? If so, any lean meat (including most fish).

If not, low fat or fat free dairy (especially greek yogurt or cottage cheese), tofu, beans.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I take a little fat with my protein.
    I like using my George Foreman grill, citrus marinade, for pork.
    I typically pound, bread, and fry my boneless chicken breasts as a schnitzel. A couple tablespoons of nice whole food EVOO will do it.
    I use stewing beef with lots of veggies in my slow cooker.
    Someone here recommended baking tofu in teriyaki sauce then adding it to a veggie stir fry. I can hardly wait to try that.
    I soak oats in yogurt for breakfast.
    I'll wrap fish in tinfoil with butter and spices and bake it just until it flakes.
    Lean hamburger is done up as meat balls baked in the oven then added to a pasta sauce, or molded in to a meatloaf with salsa on top.
    A whole chicken roasted in the slow cooker on high for several hours, resting on scrubbed potatoes and covered with whatever spices fit my fancy.
    Black beans and ground turkey chili.
    Eggs are scrambled, baked with onions and cheese as muffins, or made as an omelet.
  • cassidyciera
    cassidyciera Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast! Or if your looking for a protein powder, I love MRM all natural whey in vanilla or chocolate. It's only 85 calories/scoop, 1g sugar, 1.5g carbs, 1g fat, and 18g protein. It's yummy and you can mix into so many different things! I like making banana protein pancakes or a coffee protein shake (recipe attached)gk91mtuc11vo.jpg
  • jgnatca
    Options
    ad149dea61f730d7fffbdc95bd602b08.jpg
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Mushrooms are not a VERY good source of protein. 2g of protein for a full cup. Porcini and Shiitake mushrooms add a meaty texture.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2488/2

I think buckwheat is an undersold protein. I'd share a recipe except my last test failed. Hubby grouched, "Looks like couscous" and broke out the beans. He manages to say couscous like it's a swear word.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken breast, chicken thighs, cod, salmon, tuna, pork tenderloin, pork chops and leaner cuts of beef on occasion.
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Powdered brewers yeast
    tinned sardines / pilchards / anchovies (healthy fats)
    peanut butter
    high protein bread
  • lucy16076
    lucy16076 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Question: Can anyone give me an opinion on using "pea protein" based protein powder as opposed to "whey" based protein? Is there a health advantage? I bought pea protein based powder from a recommendation, but was amazed to find that peas have so much protein in them.... ?? Different from whey??
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Head to the meat counter at your local store, and seek out lean cuts of any standard meat. Low or non fat dairy is also a good source, as well as beans and some greens.

OFC, you could also just stop following myths, and rely on proven methods ... ie CICO and IIFYM. Fat isn't evil, and carbs aren't the devil .... gotta get your calories somewhere, and protein is the only macro that has proven health side effects excessive intake ( kidney disease risks ), for someone with normal body chemistry.
    lucy16076 wrote: »
    Question: Can anyone give me an opinion on using "pea protein" based protein powder as opposed to "whey" based protein? Is there a health advantage? I bought pea protein based powder from a recommendation, but was amazed to find that peas have so much protein in them.... ?? Different from whey??

http://www.livestrong.com/article/281176-pea-protein-vs-whey-protein/

Whey is an animal protein product, and therefore complete.

Pea is plant based, and incomplete ( missing amino acid chains ). Needs complementary source to provide full nutritional value. Good as a supplement ( < 20% of intake ), but not as a primary source.

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    lucy16076 wrote: »

I use vegan protein powder (pea/beans/something like that based - this stuff www.amazonia.com.au/raw-range) purely because I get gas when I have too much dairy-based foods. So if I use milk-based whey every day, then the flatulence becomes a bit.. well.. uncomfortable.

Plus - it tastes good!

And yes - I only use it as a supplement - I put it in my oats every morning. Yummmmmm. Or when I make protein bars. Occasionally when I just want a shake too, but yeah. I stick to MEAT for my main source of protein. 5x per day I will eat meat of all sorts from fish to poultry to red including goat - extremely lean and yuuuum and cheap.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    Options
    A complete list of the amino acids (used by the body to make protein).
    http://www.directlyfitness.com/store/amino-acids-lis/
    It took me the longest time to figure out how, in cheese making both the liquid (whey) is considered high in protein, and the remaining solids too. Turns out milk has custody of two proteins at least, the whey that we always hear about, and casein.

One stays with the liquid and the other with the curds. Handy stuff, milk.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    By the way, the thought back in the seventies and the eighties was that one had to combine complimentary proteins in a single meal, but that has been debunked. The body is smart enough to take what it needs from all sources in a day.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_protein