I just want self control!

Options
unjelly
unjelly Posts: 5 Member
I hope I can just get it through my big thick head that it's easier to say no to seconds than it is doing cross fit to lose the calories. 60 pounds is my goal, you people inspire me.

Replies

• kaiwooglin
    kaiwooglin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One small step at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is your body!!
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    here's a little trick. try eating off a smaller plate. and then if you eat seconds you ate less! :D also when i was a kid i would always eat seconds. i like food to much idk when eating seconds stopped but it did. you can also try logging like everyone here. i dont but i am thinking of getting a kitchen scale now just to help control how much im eating. btw i'm gonna add you :)
  • Stewnamie
    Stewnamie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    unjelly, I think self control is one of those things that you have to talk yourself into, and mean it. I remember 20 years ago when I quit smoking, and the silliest thought that actually helped me quit cold turkey, was ' if I don't allow myself to put the cigarette in my hand and light it, then I won't smoke it." Simple, stupidly so, but that thought entered my head whenever I was tempted. It worked for me.

And now I am applying this same thought to my eating now. I don't thoughtlessly shove anything in my mouth anymore. I always pause and think through 'am i hungry? is this healthy? does it have a lot of sugar? etc...

Anyhoo, I hope this silly little thought helps you. You already have self control. You just have to tell yourself that you do.
  • unjelly
    Options
    Thanks so much! I used to smoke too, I remember the struggle very much and like you, had to fight those urges. I hope I can apply the same methods to my food.
  • unjelly
    Options
    Cocoa1020 wrote: »
    here's a little trick. try eating off a smaller plate. and then if you eat seconds you ate less! :D also when i was a kid i would always eat seconds. i like food to much idk when eating seconds stopped but it did. you can also try logging like everyone here. i dont but i am thinking of getting a kitchen scale now just to help control how much im eating. btw i'm gonna add you :)

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    unjelly wrote: »
    I hope I can just get it through my big thick head that it's easier to say no to seconds than it is doing cross fit to lose the calories. 60 pounds is my goal, you people inspire me.

you can't out-exercise a bad diet. No matter how much exercise you do, it's not going to work. Those seconds are going to make you gain weight, if it's a consistent habit. Keep a consistent journal, maintain your calorie deficit, and you will lose weight.
  • unjelly
    Options
    I like your style add me!

• Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I like your style add me!

i did already :D
  • sarahkarigo
    sarahkarigo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me with self control is realizing that one bad choice in a day doesnt mean the whole day is shot. I struggled for years with binge eating because I strayed from my goal a little and decided "Well, I already had one, i might as well have two..or four..."

Really listen to your body. Distinguish between being hungry and indulgent.

• unjelly
    Options
    Good stuff, thank you!