Help me!

Options
My motivation is incredibly lacking. I leave work most days more tired than when I came in. (And I go in at 6:45 am) I work in surgery so I am on my feet about 7 hours a day, mostly staying in one spot, and can be there for hours at a time. Pretty much, by the time I sit in my car, I'm a goner and all my energy is gone. All I can think about is getting home and taking a nap and most day I do just that. My diet is pretty good. I feel good about it, I just wish I could get the motivation to burn some calories in the evening. A few times a week, I'll walk my dog around for about an hour or so but that's about it. If anyone has any advice to help me, please, let me know! Thanks!

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I guess that the best thing you can do is either go the gym or exercise early in the morning before work (too early?) or right after work (which seems your best choice). I always had predisposition to go to the gym, bought nice training shoes, shorts, t-shirts, bottle water, and everything, but unfortunately I lacked motivation. The hardware was there, but unfortunately the software was not in synch, and the reason for that was that once I reached home all the motivation was gone. The best thing to do? Drive to the gym straight from work, once you are there you pretty much have to work out, even for half hour, lately I've been going early in the morning. Good luck, once you start going that will become a healthy habit.
  • skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm really not full of excuses but I live in a nice apartment complex that has a gym. (See the problem?) I would have to come up to my apartment to change and take my dog out before I go. Another thing? The gym intimidates me. I have no clue how to use the machines and I barely know how to use the elliptical and treadmill. I almost think that coming home and napping then attempting to fit in a work out may be my best bet. I don't know. Thanks for the advice. I need to do something.
  • adriaticsea
    adriaticsea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    One step at a time. Try looking up youtube videos to familiarize yourself with the machines. Or introduce yourself to someone at the gym and ask them how to use what they are using. Everyone starts off as a novice and i find gym people tend to be very friendly and willing to help. I think facing your concerns/fears head-on will inevitably lead to a solution to your limited workout time. Gluck!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You can try Youtube for videos on how to use the equipment, do some body weight exercises in your apartment, walk up the stairs instead of the elevator if possible, or continue to take your dog for long walks and start adding some light jogging into the mix to up the calorie burn (30 second jog with a four minute rest and slowly increase your jog time and decrease your walk time til you feel comfortable running). My dog loves it when I take him for a run, even though most days I can't keep up with him!

Good luck!
  • Gardnersirhc
    Gardnersirhc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience that if you pay for a personal trainer, then you'll feel like you have to work out to justify the expense - plus the trainer is there to help motivate you. If your trainer can come to your building and meet you in the gym, then it's a matter of getting those workouts into your schedule. Once in your schedule you have to do something to cancel, which is harder than just showing up. I schedule workouts just like any other appointment in my day or evening. If it's just me in the appointment it's easy to skip it, but if there's someone else involved, it's harder. A workout buddy could replace the trainer, but you lose the motivation of having to get your money's worth.
  • amandaoliverio257
    amandaoliverio257 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are many different sites or videos online that provide workouts you can do in the privacy of your home that don't require any equipment. Maybe that is something to look into.
    Also, I was a restaurant manager for years and felt exhausted after work as well after being on my feet, but I started doing some cardio like walking after work and my body eventually adjusted. I started to get a "second wind" after work instead of wanting to nap. Maybe just start out at 30 min even after your nap. :)