A Must Read - Ref NOT denying ourselves CRAVED foods

Options

Replies

• posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I give in to my cravins and still lose weight. i do it on a smaller scale.

small slice of pizza / not a whole pizza
    instead of a chocolate bar i eat low fat chocolate pudding
    instead of a full bag of chips i eat a small amount of pringles

you get the drift.

don't deny yourself but also keep your food intake BALANCED. that is the key.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have eaten almost all my "craved" foods during this weight loss journey. I just stay within the calorie goal. Now that means I might be really, really hungry sometimes, so it makes it easier to go back to eating better foods and feeling less starved, but at least I am not feeling deprived of anything, really, just quantity.
  • BezDez
    BezDez Posts: 2
    Options

you get the drift.

It sounds like you're making some really good choices - especially with the low fat chocolate pudding. However, Pringles are the worst chips you can eat BY FAR! The calories and fat in them is outrageous (about 160 calories and 16% of RDA for fat in about 8 chips)! I totally agree that you should not deny yourself foods that you crave, but perhaps regular chips? Cheese puffs? Pringles... I wouldn't if I were you!
  • kstw
    kstw Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't deny myself something if I am really craving it. I am not on a diet, I am making a lifestyle change. I allow myself to eat small portions of pizza, ribs, etc...but I scale back as well. I prefer Lean Pockets pepperoni pizza or a singe slice of pizza and savor it slower, I eat ribs but make sure to leave my portion without bbq sauce then dip it in a small portion,and I eat Sun Chips instead of regular chips. I completed the first four months of being totally on this lifestyle change yesterday and I've lost an average of 6 to eight pounds a month. Slow and steady. And I can see the differences it makes in my health and in my body.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Im so glad you found that article. I was hunting for it yesterday but couldnt remember the exact title (I read it originally on my phone)

I completly agree with this. Trying to deny your body what your craving is detrimental physically and mentally, I also love how it explains that still eating it while dieting reduces your risk of gaining when you stop "dieting" and start eating "normal" again.
  • risque_07
    risque_07 Posts: 16
    Options

you get the drift.

It sounds like you're making some really good choices - especially with the low fat chocolate pudding. However, Pringles are the worst chips you can eat BY FAR! The calories and fat in them is outrageous (about 160 calories and 16% of RDA for fat in about 8 chips)! I totally agree that you should not deny yourself foods that you crave, but perhaps regular chips? Cheese puffs? Pringles... I wouldn't if I were you!

Oh wow, i thought Pringles were better for you that regular chips ... I guess I was wrong. I haven't actually bought any just yet but was thinking of it because of the variety of flavors ... I usually do Veggie Chips from Central Market or Pretzel Sticks. Sometimes sneak in a few Doritos to change the flavor but that's on rare occasions. So Cheese Puffs huh? I figured those were high in fat as well.
  • blue04711
    blue04711 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. If I restrict myself from having something, it only gets blown up. Has anyone else purchased the Eat This Not That books? I think I am going to pick up the Eat This Not That Diet book.
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I stopped cutting out all my favorite foods. Now, i just make better choices. Can't live without mashed potatoes and bread. Now I just make skinny mashed potatoes and eat a smaller portion. I choose whole wheat or pumpernicket bread instead of white. Small modifications so I'm still getting my favorites. AND, if I'm craving some ice cream or something sweet, I just have a taste or a bit to quell the urge. All in moderation. I'm eating foods that I love and still losing weight! YES, YES, YES!
  • ashleyxnicole89
    ashleyxnicole89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

you get the drift.

Oh wow, i thought Pringles were better for you that regular chips ... I guess I was wrong. I haven't actually bought any just yet but was thinking of it because of the variety of flavors ... I usually do Veggie Chips from Central Market or Pretzel Sticks. Sometimes sneak in a few Doritos to change the flavor but that's on rare occasions. So Cheese Puffs huh? I figured those were high in fat as well.

Try veggie straws! You get 38 straws for 130 calories! I love them I think they're better than chips. My boyfriend even likes them! He hates Veggies! lol. You can dip them in stuff too! I use salsa since it's the lowest calorie dip I can find!
  • risque_07
    Options
    Im so glad you found that article. I was hunting for it yesterday but couldnt remember the exact title (I read it originally on my phone)

I completly agree with this. Trying to deny your body what your craving is detrimental physically and mentally, I also love how it explains that still eating it while dieting reduces your risk of gaining when you stop "dieting" and start eating "normal" again.

Oh, I'm so glad I could help you out :wink:

But I can't take the credit for this ... My friend actually sent me the link yesterday so I could read it. She knew I'd been craving foods and I'm real hard on myself when it comes to wanting to eat food that is going to "hurt" our calorie intake. So she sent it to me and it opened my eyes. Because I don't know if you're like me, but I despise the "D" word = DIET = so what I'd been doing was DIETING in a sense ... depriving my body of the cravings ... and what's funny is I'm not one to eat sweets nor drink sodas ... never have been one to have a "sweet tooth" but for some reason lately I've been craving the heck out of sweets and craving a soda ... was told THIS is one of the main reasons I shouldn't deny my body any cravings ... just know I have to keep it in moderation. I feel SOOO much better now. :heart:
  • risque_07
    Options

you get the drift.

Try veggie straws! You get 38 straws for 130 calories! I love them I think they're better than chips. My boyfriend even likes them! He hates Veggies! lol. You can dip them in stuff too! I use salsa since it's the lowest calorie dip I can find!

Hmm, never heard of veggie straws ... sound interesting ... where can i buy some?
  • nimbi
    nimbi Posts: 27
    Options
    It's a good point. I've been allowing myself a single square of dark chocolate (85% cocoa solids, apparently it's good for you!) a day. It's only 30 calories or so and it's way better than if I went crazy and ate the whole block in one go - 539 calories!

Plus I have problems with depression and some studies say a bit of chocolate a day can help with that, can't argue with science. ;)
  • risque_07
    Options
    It's a good point. I've been allowing myself a single square of dark chocolate (85% cocoa solids, apparently it's good for you!) a day. It's only 30 calories or so and it's way better than if I went crazy and ate the whole block in one go - 539 calories!

Plus I have problems with depression and some studies say a bit of chocolate a day can help with that, can't argue with science. ;)

I've heard of dark chocolate being good for you ... sounds like a smart idea.

Well I hope that it's working out for ya hun ... keep them spirits up!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I read that yesterday, and it's exactly what I've been doing.

I'll just eat pizza when I crave pizza... rather than do something like put a dab of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of cheese on an English muffin, then not be satisfied and keep eating. If I know I'm going to have pizza, I'll plan accordingly and make sure I have enough calories.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have eaten almost all my "craved" foods during this weight loss journey. I just stay within the calorie goal. Now that means I might be really, really hungry sometimes, so it makes it easier to go back to eating better foods and feeling less starved, but at least I am not feeling deprived of anything, really, just quantity.

SAME. It has been really hard not to eat until I'm stuffed.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    One of the things I like best about MFP is that it's very easy for me to see when the calories for giving into my cravings are going to be worth it. I look at my calories like money in my bank account. I might get to buy a new pair of shoes or splurge on something sometimes, but if I do it every day, I'll be broke. In the same way, 300 calories for a donut some days is really very worth it for me, but other days, I'd rather not add in that many calories for fun food.
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    TERRA Exotic Vegetable Chips in the Original flavor...LOVE THEM!!!! The Veggie Straws taste like french fries to me...LOVE them too.
    Dove Dark Chocolate w/ Almonds... One square is enough to make you feel like royalty! It melts in your mouth and has the crispiness of crunch bars.
    Diana's Babies...Dark Chocolate covered frozen bananas...AWESOME!
    So Delicious...Mini ice Cream sandwiches (dairy free)...Very tasty and only 90 calories!

I think that covers some of my salty, chocolatey, ice creamy cravings! Not one has interfered with my losing weight!:wink:
  • risque_07
    Options
    TERRA Exotic Vegetable Chips in the Original flavor...LOVE THEM!!!! The Veggie Straws taste like french fries to me...LOVE them too.
    Dove Dark Chocolate w/ Almonds... One square is enough to make you feel like royalty! It melts in your mouth and has the crispiness of crunch bars.
    Diana's Babies...Dark Chocolate covered frozen bananas...AWESOME!
    So Delicious...Mini ice Cream sandwiches (dairy free)...Very tasty and only 90 calories!

I think that covers some of my salty, chocolatey, ice creamy cravings! Not one has interfered with my losing weight!:wink:

Ok lizzy ..... I think you just solved all my problems in one ... "salty, chocolatey, ice creamy" ... WOOP WOOP :love:

I have a texture issue ... meaning i HAVE to have something crunchy with all my meals ... don't know why, i just do. so i turned to veggie chips ... but getting bored of those. so tell me, where can i find those TERRA Exotic Vegetable Chips and the Veggie Straws?
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    http://www.terrachips.com/our-chips
    http://www.sensibleportions.com/#/content_products_veggiestraws

I get mine at our grocery store...Publix. But I think I've seen them at Target and WalMart.