Is anyone obese with bradycardia?

Options
2»

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @ShrinkingStargazer It's important that if you want to start this journey that you be committed to it. It may help you to commit if you are fully reassured that your heart is fine. Go see the third doctor if that will help you. When you're cleared to proceed, you've already found a great resource in MFP and I hope you kick butt!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Salt has nothing to do with heart rate. Salt is correlated with blood pressure. If you ever feel dizzy with a low heart rate, you need to call 911 immediately.
    defatify wrote: »
    Pardon me for not quoting here, but sodium can help with retaining water, which affects blood pressure, which affects heart rate. I don't know all the terminology here, but it does make a difference. It's not a fun experience to be without a pulse, and it sucks to feel like you can't be as intense with your workouts as you'd like to be. It's not an excuse. It's a legitimate medical concern. Unfortunately, there aren't good treatments for some conditions that do affect the ability to exercise and lose weight safely.

If you have no pulse, you are in cardiac arrest (ie dead). Not sure what you were trying to say here, but I don't think that is what you meant.
  • ShrinkingStargazer
    ShrinkingStargazer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    @ShrinkingStargazer It's important that if you want to start this journey that you be committed to it. It may help you to commit if you are fully reassured that your heart is fine. Go see the third doctor if that will help you. When you're cleared to proceed, you've already found a great resource in MFP and I hope you kick butt!

Thank you, i hope so too.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was bradycardic (is that a word?) and obese... as I've lost weight, my heart rate has actually come up. I was also told to add salt, which I do. And add water, which I also do. Being obese is dangerous for your heart. Losing weight relieves strain on the muscle. If your doctor says it's safe, trust him/her. I'm glad I did. I still have a long way to go, but I have more energy and better circulation now, which helps to motivate me.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If your cardiologist told you it was fine as long as you monitor it I don't think it's going to cause any harm.
    The cardiologist has far more experience with this than your regular doctor.
    If you want a second opinion, get one, from another cardiologist (not another GP).

• smbg51
    smbg51 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have Bradycardia. When I was 31years old I had extreme SVT and had to have heart surgery to slow my heart down. Now I have bradycardia but it was better than the other option of being in ICU near death and passing out and unable to function. I am 80 pounds or so overweight and have lost 10 pounds with the help of people on this site. The Dr has a hard time even finding my pulse in my neck it is very faint and runs 50 or under. I am feeling better with the 10 pound lose and it has not slowed my heart down at all. I just make sure to stay well hydrated and eat enough to lose weight but not starve. I have found that my worst enemy is hot humid weather. It really takes a lot out of me. I think it is important to find a good DR. that you trust but losing weight will help in the long run. My heart has to work a lot harder to support all this weight. I was 172 lbs when I had my surgery and slowing my heart down lead to this weight gain, I was at 257 and am at 242 today. It is harder for me to get a good cardio work out and raise my heart rate due to becoming faint or too hot. I have found that swimming is my thing and I love it. I swim at a pool with a life guard that watches me and feel great afterwards. I hope this helps and wish you the best.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I spoke to my cardiologist about this a few months ago. Basically he asked do I feel light headed or faint or unable to exercise.

I said no and he said not to worry about it.

From the sounds of it your cardiologist told you to monitor it but not to be concern. Seems like good advice if your not experiencing and effects.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    Finger to my wrist I recorded 36 at work. Here are some shots from my Fitbit.

My heart rate hasn't seen to change much because of weight loss.

Again trust your cardiologist and don't worry.

7ad6w89gnozr.jpg
    atooqm6pvyf1.jpg
  • Merkavar
    Options
    Sorry for the triple posts

But am I missing something.

The op wants to lose weight but won't in case their heart rate drops too low?

Can't they lose weight while eating salt like they seem to be?

But if you have bradycardia wouldn't being fit and healthy be better than over weight or obese? Doing cardio to work out the heart muscles?

So is you pulse low and that's it. Or did I miss the part where you mentioned fainting on a treadmill? Is that what you meant by it happens all the time? That you get dizzy?

What are you doing when getting dizzy?
  • ShrinkingStargazer
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Sorry for the triple posts

yes thank you everyone, @merkavar i am fine when i workout, actually it takes a bit for me to get into it and i can get my heart rate up pretty good but then afterwards about 2 hours later my pulse drops down to lower 40's, i get confused and spacey feeling and my pulse is very faint. but u are right, i guess its better to do cardio and work my heart out and to be fit rather then obese, i just get scared lol
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I myself -- since I'm a nerd about stuff -- would love to see how you're eating pre- and post-workouts. Do you mind opening up your diary?

When women on my team have similar issues regarding practice and workouts, we often get the advice to change how we eat on workout/practice days from our Athletic Trainer. Many women on the team are obese trying to lose weight without sacrificing performance. What's your macro breakdown for workout days vs. not workout days?
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    It sounds like you are just making excuses. You have seen two doctors who have told you that this is not an issue, one of whom was a cardiologist. The third doctor will tell you the same thing.

At some point you've got to decide: either choose to lose weight or choose to be obese.

Sodium is not a chronotropic substance (ie. does not make your heart rate increase). Losing weight does not worsen bradycardia. Wherever you got those notions from, they are not correct.

preach. I'm bradycardic. Always have been regardless of weight. I've been sitting around 40 - 45 bpm since I was 310, have lost 175 and that hasn't changed. I asked the kidney donor team if that would be considered a health issue that would prevent me from donating and they said it wasn't a problem, period. My blood pressure, on the other hand, has been all over the map through the weight loss (went from a constant 120/80 right on the nose at my highest weight to an average of 145/84 ish as I lost weight, exercised more, ate low sodium....it wasn't until i increased my sodium after realizing how much i lost with running that my bp leveled out to my average of 106/64 pre-donation and 113/70 post donation.) In any case, how much sodium you do or don't have has nothing to do with your heart rate. that's a completely separate issue. keep an eye on your bp to determine what you should be doing as far as sodium consumption is concerned.

• meganjcallaghan
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have bradycardia my resting heart rate is 45-50 bpm and I was told by my doctor to lose weight I stressed to him how im scared cause I feel like I have to keep eating salty foods to keep my heart rate up. He told me not to worry unless it goes in the 30's and i also told him how once you lose weight your heart rate drops more. I also feel like my pulse is very weak when its low and i do feel dizzy so i have to keep eating. I am getting a second opinion from another doctor but i don't really hear about anyone who is obese who has bradycardia and if you do have it or had it and lost weight with it, did it lower it more? What do you eat? i really want to lose weight but scared my heart is going to stop from it getting too low.

as a side note, I'll say...(check this with your doctor of course), keep in mind he's probably meaning if it's consistently in the 30s that might be an issue.....don't necessarily freak out, think "oh gawsh, I'm dying!" and run to the ER because you check one time and see 37 or something like that. I had to do a 24 hour blood pressure monitor test for my donation testing and while I was hitting highs of 148/90 (still never going above 60 bpm max) at some points, I was also hitting lows of around 54/34 with a bpm of 29 at night.....nobody seemed to care much about that because the average is the bigger concern
  • ShrinkingStargazer
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have bradycardia my resting heart rate is 45-50 bpm and I was told by my doctor to lose weight I stressed to him how im scared cause I feel like I have to keep eating salty foods to keep my heart rate up. He told me not to worry unless it goes in the 30's and i also told him how once you lose weight your heart rate drops more. I also feel like my pulse is very weak when its low and i do feel dizzy so i have to keep eating. I am getting a second opinion from another doctor but i don't really hear about anyone who is obese who has bradycardia and if you do have it or had it and lost weight with it, did it lower it more? What do you eat? i really want to lose weight but scared my heart is going to stop from it getting too low.

as a side note, I'll say...(check this with your doctor of course), keep in mind he's probably meaning if it's consistently in the 30s that might be an issue.....don't necessarily freak out, think "oh gawsh, I'm dying!" and run to the ER because you check one time and see 37 or something like that. I had to do a 24 hour blood pressure monitor test for my donation testing and while I was hitting highs of 148/90 (still never going above 60 bpm max) at some points, I was also hitting lows of around 54/34 with a bpm of 29 at night.....nobody seemed to care much about that because the average is the bigger concern

Thank you hun you made me feel better im gonna keep dieting and try not worry so much. thats how much blood pressure usually is too 140/90, you got that pressure after losing weight?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Actually one time of a heart rate in the 30s and is symptomatic (dizzy, lightheaded, low blood pressure, confused, pale or feeling "off") they should call 911 immediately, not wait. Symptomatic bradycardia is life threatening (meaning you could die). The symptoms are indications that you are not circulating blood properly. The immediate resolution for that is pacing which paramedics will initiate if you have those symptoms with a low heart rate.

Please don't tell people to wait when the situation can be life threatening.

Source: paramedic
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    it happens all the time, i saw a cardiologist and he wasn't too concerned. I have an appointment next week with a new doctor. Oh and it goes higher once i eat salty foods or overeat which is bad. Also anxiety will make it higher.

Great job!
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options

Thank you hun you made me feel better im gonna keep dieting and try not worry so much. thats how much blood pressure usually is too 140/90, you got that pressure after losing weight?

yes, my blood pressure went up as I lost weight. it went back down once I started getting more sodium after I figured out i was losing about 3 liters of fluids a day with my running and was probably too low on my sodium compared to my potassium
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Actually one time of a heart rate in the 30s and is symptomatic (dizzy, lightheaded, low blood pressure, confused, pale or feeling "off") they should call 911 immediately, not wait. Symptomatic bradycardia is life threatening (meaning you could die). The symptoms are indications that you are not circulating blood properly. The immediate resolution for that is pacing which paramedics will initiate if you have those symptoms with a low heart rate.

Please don't tell people to wait when the situation can be life threatening.

Source: paramedic

i was meaning in general if you feel normal otherwise and aren't symptomatic. and of course i also added the caveat right at the beginning that she should check with her doctor on that to clarify what it sounded to me like he might mean
  • Stillmyheart16
    Stillmyheart16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When your blood pressure is high, your heart rate is one of the mechanisms that slows down in order to help reduce systemic vascular resistance. Lower heart rates without symptoms are normal, even obese people. Eating won't change anything. Drinking more water will tell your kidneys to do more with your blood pressure and eating a low sodium diet will also help lower your blood pressure. In the aorta of your heart and the vessels of your neck are baroreceptors that detect blood pressure. If the pressure is low like your blood pressure should be then it will send a message to your body to increase your heart rate. However if the pressure is high, it will send a message to slow it down in order to decrease cardiac output and decrease systemic vascular resistance.

Eating more is NOT the answer and a poor excuse. As a doctor I'd take a look at your total cholesterol, HDL, and LDL to get a better picture of what is going on. Your vessels could have atherosclerotic changes also that are increasing vascular resistance and decreasing heart rate.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Sedentary ends (and lightly active begins) at about 5000 steps a day.

Was any of your days last month less than 5000 steps?

(If your heart rate doesn't increase with activity or you're not allowed/cleared to be more active, please disregard)