stop eating

Options
xSophia19
xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
hi all, this is probably a really stupid question. but what is the best time in the evenings to stop eating? ive been told dont eat after 6pm, and some say after 5pm but i just wanna get other opinions too :) please comment and let me know thankyouu :D

Replies

• rdaraz
    rdaraz Posts: 103
    Options
    i've always read 6 PM :) and ESPECIALLY no later than 9 PM
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I eat all the way up to bedtime if I'm hungry and have the calories to do so. I try to eat "lighter" snacks in the evenings but you still digest your food and burn calories when you're sleeping. so it's not really a big deal. The only time I cut myself off at 8pm is the night before weigh in. I just want to give myself that little extra boost on the scale.

ETA: It's actually a good thing to eat cottage cheese before bed. :)
  • xSophia19
    Options
    ahh rite ok then thankyou guys :) really helped least i know tr not to eat after 6 lol.
  • deuce3Degotrip
    Options
    I stop at 8pm (unless schedule does not permit me to)... That leaves a 7pm dinner time and plenty of time to digest before getting in the bed around 11 or 12. I'll drink water after that time if necessary
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I run, and with it getting warmer, we run earlier and earlier. Today I was out by 6:30. That means I can't eat before I go. I eat in bed within 30 minutes of falling asleep, but it's complex carbs and protein. I have to preload, or I'd never make my run. If you workout early, I'd suggest eating later. If you workout later, I'd suggest getting the bulk of your calories early.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I always have a small 100 calorie snack right before I go to bed.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Unless you suffer from indigestion, acid reflux or similar issues you should be fine eating right up until bedtime.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    your tummy does not have a clock. Calories consumed at 1 am are no different than ones consumed at 6 pm. The only thing to keep in mind is a full tummy may interfere with your restful sleep, so if you stop eating 2 hours before you want to sleep, that will eliminate the problem. But it doesn't have an impact on your weight loss. If it fits in your calorie goals, it's OK.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    the only time your 'stop eating time' matters is when you're in the mood for mindless snacking. we're told not to eat after dinner because a lot of people are in the habit of sitting in front of the television with a bucket of ice cream or a huge bag of chips and don't realize how much they're actually eating.

it doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you control it and pay attention.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I usually stop around 2 and a half hrs before I go to bed. But if I am still hungry I eat somehing light and calorie permitting.
  • julia23
    julia23 Posts: 87
    Options
    You should not eat an hour before bed because when you're asleep your metabolism slows down so you need to get food digested before you fall asleep or you'll get heart burn etc ! Doesn't matter if thats 4pm or 3am !
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    that's a myth

most Europeans have supper around 8 and have a snack around 10.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    stop eating x amount of hours before bed is a myth. the total amount of net calories consumed in a day determines whether you lose weight or not. Only times medically to not eat right before bed is if you have reflux.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    the only time your 'stop eating time' matters is when you're in the mood for mindless snacking. we're told not to eat after dinner because a lot of people are in the habit of sitting in front of the television with a bucket of ice cream or a huge bag of chips and don't realize how much they're actually eating.

it doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you control it and pay attention.

I agree with her.:drinker:
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I personally eat when I am hungry. I don't care if its 3 hours before bed or directly before I get in bed. I don't eat heavier stuff in the evenings though. It hasn't seemed to inhibit my weight loss. At the same time, others don't eat after 6 or whatever and it works for them too. I think you have to find what works best for you and your body.
  • xSophia19
    Options
    thankyou very much guys!!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    For some people eating before bed can actually help them lose weight

And here's why:

For some people, they sleep more soundly and for a little longer if they have a little food in their bellies. Sleep is an important component to weight loss.

I used to NEVER eat before bed because I thought it was bad. Now I do try to save a little something to eat before going to bed. Just something small, and not anything that will come back at me. Maybe a banana, or a small cup of oatmeal.. something like that.. Nothing too acidic.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    my diet. told me it doesnt really matter b/c a calorie is a calorie no matter when you eat it. Heck I eat when I get up in the middle of the night to let the dogs out and I havent gained............But if you have gerd (acid reflux) you shouldnt eat and then lay down b/c the acid can come up the throat easier
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    You should not eat an hour before bed because when you're asleep your metabolism slows down so you need to get food digested before you fall asleep or you'll get heart burn etc ! Doesn't matter if thats 4pm or 3am !

Don't think it's due to your metabolism. I think it's just that our digestive system is designed to work better when we're vertical.
  • srb1990
    srb1990 Posts: 37
    Options
    i personally dont eat after 7pm because i usually go bed at 10 so 3 hours before i plan on goin bed i stop...i used to not eat breakfast so it helps so that im mildly hungry in the morning :D x