Strange question about glass

Hiya,

now I was on my daily walk today and could not help but look in the glass of a car and on a side of a building, I must say I looked much larger then I normally do in a mirror, finding myself walking back into the mirror constantly (Probably looking slightly strange to the cars driving by) It struck a question in my head.

does glass distort your body size?
I wear a size 30 mens jean and a size small / xsmall in shirt size my reflection probably added a good 25 pounds or so onto me.

accuracy
mirror or glass?

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Haven't you ever been to a carnival with a "fun house" that has a bunch of mirrors that intentionally distort your image? Glass that isn't perfectly flat will distort the reflection, either making you wider or narrower than reality.
  • defatify
    defatify Posts: 41 Member
    If the glass if curved or angled it will distort the reflection. Your own perception can screw with what you see in the mirror. Might be more helpful to have a friend take a picture of you at a normal/straight on angle and in good lighting for a better representation of how you actually look. I doubt that anyone is a great judge of their own looks or size, though, so don't worry about it too much anyway.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Glass? No. Not in and of itself.

The *gepmetry* of the glass? You betcha. Curved glass curves and distorts light, and it's reflection.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    The glass is curved...

Rely on the mirror!
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Thanks guys! Man I hate glass now lol
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Yes. Our library makes everyone walking up to it so happy because we all lose like 20 pounds, lol. I love my reflection in that door. I mentioned this to neighbors and they practically yelled, lol. Everyone loves that door. :)
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Yep. The glass was distorting your image. Don't stress, just enjoy yourself. I bet the people driving cocked their eyebrows a bit.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    you do realize this is like 4th grade science. right? LOLOLOLOL

convex and concave mirrors/ glass/ and what they do to images?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    One thing to keep in mind that lighting can have an affect on look too. If you want the benefit of natural light (so you can see what you would look like outside), then find light bulbs that are 5000 kelvin instead of 2700 to 3000k. Its actually a trick women can use to understand how their makeup will look when they go outside.

But yea glass on carba and many building are curved so i wouldnt stress.