Running - need advice

Options
I'm just getting started here (Week 2).

My favorite cardio is running on a treadmill. I found I was always going to the gym to use the treads so I just bought one and got rid of the gym. I can do weights at home. I got an awesome nordic track and I love it. I'm able to hop on it any time, no matter what I look like and go. Since having it in house, it's easier for me to get there vs taking my stuff to the gym etc. Especially with all the running I do with kids. Now I can have their supper cooking while I'm working out.

I've been doing 30 mins every day. Here's my "routine":

Walk 5 (warmup)
Run 5
Walk 2
Run 5
Walk 2
Run 5
Walk 6

I check my heart rate. At runs my heart rate is about 90%....walks 80% Walks are at 3.9 which is the fastest I can go without feeling like I'm overworking my shins. Running is 4.5 which is a pretty good clip. I noticed I'm taking almost 3 steps per second. I have no clue what is considered a good "speed".

This being my 2nd week I can really feel the difference. It's much easier this week. It's not super easy but I'm not counting the minutes and talking myself into keep going. But...I feel like I'm still getting a good work out. Plus with it being a good work out but still easier, I look forward to doing it since it's not a horrible struggle.

I did it one day outside because it was gorgeous out....but I'm not quite there for the outside running, which is harder. I did run the first 5mins section but the rest had to be walking. Also it felt harder on my body. I am running with 60 lbs after all. So maybe the outside running will have to wait until I have less weight bouncing around on my frame.

My question is this....at what point do I up the ante and how? Do I extend the time that I run or increase the speed? I'd like to get to the point that I do a 5k, just to say I can! I was thinking that I could extend the time running on days I have more time to run and up the speed on the days I don't have more than 30 mins and do both??

Any other "running" advice or tips is appreciated!!

Replies

• wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    have you heard of the Couch to 5K program?

You are already off to a good start. Dont' worry about speed. I walk at 3.2 and run at 4.2. Try increasing your run and lowering your walks. Right now I did 5 min warm up walk, 8 min run, 5 min walk 8 min run, 5 min cool down. that's week 5 day 2 schedule. I've done that day 2X's and I did up my speed by .2 the second time.

and as far as outside. I haven't figured that out either yet. I joked when I got my running shoes. THey asked which I liked better and I said the treadmill. She asked why I said. If I stop I fall off so I can't stop.
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I would keep the same pace but run for a little longer as you progress (instead of 5 min try 5 1/2 min) that way you can slowly work up to continuous running.....as you get stronger then I would work on the speed!!
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    Go for duration, to build up your endurance, then work on speed/pace. Go to runner's world. com and do search. They have various beginner programs and will tell you the percentage/miles you should increase your running when training.

Good luck!!
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If a 5k is a goal you have, I would check out a couch to 5k program. There are a few different versions out there, google it and you should be able to find one that would work for you. The nice thing about those programs is that if you need more time for a certain week, you can take it. Just realize that any time you "ante up" it's going to be a bit challenging. As you are able to run longer for longer periods of time, your speeds should begin to increase as well. Mine did, anyway. Good luck!
  • rosieg32
    rosieg32 Posts: 9
    Options
    I also would suggest the C25K program......coolrunnings.com......Good Luck!
  • mnlawgirl
    mnlawgirl Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello
    When I started running I used a treadmill and increased my time 1 min per week. Thw first week I would walk 5 and run 5. I did this for 30 mins. Then the next week I would walk 5 and run 6. I am not sure what my speed was but am sure it was around 5.5 mph. Over time I was able to walk for just 5 mins as a warm up and cool down, then run the rest of the time. I do have to say you should really try to run outside. It is so much better for you! I know its hard but you can do it. Take it slow and you will be shocked at how fast you increase your speed and time. Plus the lbs will come off faster. A year ago I had a baby. I started running again about 4 weeks after he was born. WOW it was hard! However, I took it slow and set smaller goals. Now I am back to running 5 and 8k's. I ran this morning for 45 mins and burned 552 cals. Oh and I only use my treadmill if its cruddy outside.

Congrats on starting to run! Its very fun and can even be relaxing.
  • tthomas73
    tthomas73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the couch to 5k program too. It's a great program similar to what you are doing now. There is also a program called couch to 10k, which might be better for you since you are already sort of doing the C5K program on your own...good luck and happy health!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Try to run longer for now and incline the treadmill to @ least a 1% incline for as long as you can take it. When you can run for at least 20 minutes at a 1% incline, then increase the speed. Remember, you're in this to win this so take your time, listen to your body, and diversify your running. There are several running plans that you can find on the Internet to help you with your training. If you can run for an hour straight in a year, you'll be doing pretty good.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem too when I first started running outside. It's because when you run on a treadmill it's actually like running a little downhill since where you would run outside isn't completely level. Try running at 1/2-2% incline when you're on the treadmill and then when you go running outside it won't feel any different. It's hard at first, but it get easier. Good luck!
  • Jbugfit2011
    Jbugfit2011 Posts: 105
    Options
    You should check out About.. Com they have great training programs. I learned to run a 5k and I have never been a runner. At least I should say I never used to be.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that said don't worry about speed. Make the speed whatever is comfortable. Some days that may be a little faster and on other days a little slower. Your primary goal right now is to reach the point where you can run comfortably for around 30 minutes without stopping. Since you are just starting out your cardiovascular system will begin to improve quickly just by running continuously and comfortably.

Also, three steps per second is perfect. Try to keep that cadence at all running speeds. As your fitness improves your stride will become longer at the same cadence and you will get faster.
  • dd122436
    dd122436 Posts: 39
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about speed or distance, just increase the amount your running (slowly) and decrease the amount your walking. I would like to add a note of caution however...TAKE IT SLOW. I recently started trying to run faster and longer AND with an incline (not all at the same time) and it KILLED my hips, I actually couldn't walk normally and had to stop running completely for a couple months. I believe the most important thing is to keep your runs enjoyable and something you look forward to doing. During my runs if I get that runners high I will run faster when it hits and then slow it back down after it ends, I also do intervals where I do a fast run/walk and that helps build speed too. Listen to your body and keep it fun and you'll be enjoying the benefits of running for years to come.

All the best!
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i started out with almost the exact same routine... as my body became comfortable i was able to shorten the "walking" periods... and now i do 45 minutes...

5 min walk- 4.2 (1.0 incline)
    35 min jog- 5.0 (.5 incline)
    5 min walk- 4.2 (0 incline)

some days i need to go down to 4.9 or even 4.8 depending on my heartrate. I haven't tried jogging outside... ( i live in North Dakota... it's still not very warm here)

Good luck and listen to your body!!
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have the C25K on my ipod. I didn't seem to get very far but I was running at a much faster pace. 5.5 mph or 6mph.

I'm doing the same thing theory now. Walk/run...I just started out with higher run time than the starting run time of 60 secs.

Thanks for all the great advice!!