geocaching??

It has definitely become a hobby. My FAM and I love to spend the day outdoors doing stuff that is cheap lol. Geoching is pretty great. Some are better then others but it even entertains the kiddo. Anyone out there into this?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    I used to do it. I really liked making unique caches. I'll probably get back into it eventually when I can upgrade my GPS.
  • Joliekay1582
    Joliekay1582 Posts: 75 Member
    I used to do it. I really liked making unique caches. I'll probably get back into it eventually when I can upgrade my GPS.

I just use my android phone. We love it. The cool caches are the ones to find though :)
  • MashWench
    MashWench Posts: 3 Member
    I love to cache!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    We got my older parents into this to get them up off their duffs and active. Goodness did it work! They love it and do it all over the world when they travel.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Geocaching is loads of fun and can be a great workout when you do caches you hike to.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    When I lived somewhere with actual mountains, we used to plan hikes around finding the various trinkets. It was loads of fun.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Yes, we go out almost every weekend. In the place we used to live before we'd go by bike, partly combined with public transport most of the time. Here we need to take a car as it's too hot (over 100F at the moment) and the landscape isn't equally nice everywhere. But it gets us out. I don't log it as exercise though unless it's involves a lenghty swim.
  • Lost_it
    Lost_it Posts: 290 Member
    My husband and I are avid Geocachers. We have been at it for 5 years and still really enjoy it. We have over 900 finds
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    My good friend was barred from exercise when he was battling cancer so he took up geocaching as a way to remain active but adhere to his doctor's orders. He's still hooked on it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    My favourite caches are those that require long hikes in marvelous landscapes. I think the nicest caches we found so far have been on the island of Madeira. Including one in a tiny, lightless 3km long tunnel :blush:
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    I recently got back into geocaching when I visited San Diego and discovered how many caches there were out there. I made myself a rule, long ago, that any geocache within walking distance of home must be walked to. Then I did the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer a few times, and my definition of "walking distance" grew considerably. :-)
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Great way to add a sense of purpose to a hike.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    I started doing it a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed with a recurrence of breast cancer and couldn't run much, due to side effects. I found it really fun. I do it once in a while now. I have over 1000 finds and own about 15 caches. B)