Geocaching

Options
Does anyone else geocache as a form of exercise?

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    yes, hubby, daughter and I geocache in the spring, summer and fall and count it as exercise. I dont know we go regular enough to make that our only exercise. We also use an app called Ingress and go portaling multiple times a week, usually walking to the portals if they are bunched together.

There are lots of fun ideas for exercise. Zombies, Run! is a fun one too.
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Me too - I'll look up Geocaching by terrain and distance, often in the hiking trains in N. Georgia Mountains. Makes the hike more purposeful and less boring. Same with Ingress, I would do this at lunch in more urban areas to do the same thing.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Nothing like using your GPSr to know exactly how far you've walked. I try not to do park-n-grabs, unless I can walk to them from further away.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I do. It can be a lot of fun. If you are just starting try to look for larger caches with low difficulty ratings. They will help you get a feel for common types of hides. Micros can eventually be fun, but can also be frustrating for a beginner.

When logging an essay is not required but most cache owners like it if you say a few words about your experience that day. Did you see any cool wildlife on the way to the cache? Did you have fun looking for it? Are there any problems with the cache they need to know about. Posting pictures from your day is great (just don't post a picture of the hiding spot or a unique cache container on the actual cache page).

Remember GPSs can fail so have a compass and map for back up. Making where you parked your car in the GPS is also a good idea.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yes!! It's lots of fun and good exercise, especially if you do the ones that require hiking. I started a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed with a recurrence of breast cancer and couldn't run much due to treatment side effects. I don't do it real often any more, but have over 1000 finds and own about 15 caches. B)