need to increase my iron

Options
Morning. Doing well so far 1st 2lb lost but I'm really struggling to get anywhere close to rda of my iron (and calcium) targets

I'm a vegetarian (proper one who doesn't eat fish too!) I can't eat eggs as they make me sick. I don't like kale, beans, onions, garlic, peas, mushrooms. I can tolerate a small amount of pulses,chickpeas etc if in a nice thick sauce.

I know you're probably thinking what a fussy eater and its true. I really want to eat all the above especially eggs and beans but they instantly make me gag and if i try and push through it im proper sick!:( I had to train myself to eat rice and peppers as didn't like them when I became a veggie either.

If anyone has any secrets in how to increase your iron I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    How about spinach?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Most of mine comes from bran flakes. 100% DV in .75 cups.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Given how picky you are, though, becoming a vegetarian might be a nutritional disaster waiting to happen....
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do you have any issues with taking a suppliment?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Were you diagnosed with an iron deficiency through blood tests?

If you are just looking at the micronutrient breakdown on MFP, you shouldn't worry so much because most entries are unreliable for those specifics.
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A lot of cereals are fortified with iron. Just a matter of finding one that isn't full of sugar too. Eaten with skimmed milk will boost your calcium too
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Dried Apricots! When I was pregnant my iron was low but they didn't want me to take a supplement so advised, red meat and live (both gross to me!), spinach and dried apricots. I have spinach in salads with lemon juice, yum! I don't relly like the dried apricots but I could force down one half each day and my iron shot straight back up! Good luck!
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    *Liver!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    skidda85 wrote: »
    Morning. Doing well so far 1st 2lb lost but I'm really struggling to get anywhere close to rda of my iron (and calcium) targets

I'm a vegetarian (proper one who doesn't eat fish too!) I can't eat eggs as they make me sick. I don't like kale, beans, onions, garlic, peas, mushrooms. I can tolerate a small amount of pulses,chickpeas etc if in a nice thick sauce.

I know you're probably thinking what a fussy eater and its true. I really want to eat all the above especially eggs and beans but they instantly make me gag and if i try and push through it im proper sick!:( I had to train myself to eat rice and peppers as didn't like them when I became a veggie either.

If anyone has any secrets in how to increase your iron I would greatly appreciate it.
    Beans, Raisins, Dried Apricots and other dried fruit, Rice, Iron-fortified bread, Cereal, Pasta, Tofu, Pumpkin seeds, Potatoes. (Experiment with new ways to cook and enjoy beans.)
    Eat these foods with foods rich in Vit C in order to improve iron absorption.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Marmite!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kaniwa it's like quinoa but has 60% of your daily iron in one serving. I get mine at whole foods but can prob find at other healthy food kinda stores
  • IHeartEarth
    IHeartEarth Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Unsulphered Black Strap Molasses (Plantation brand is the best I've found!) It's great in hot tea, and you don't need a lot of it to get a lot of iron (and lots of other nutrients).
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Post Grape Nuts - ate them for the first time in years and saw I got 385% of my daily iron (according to MFP)
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Marmite!
    Oh Yum! I *love* Marmite. But the sodium is off the charts.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Is this going to devolve into a Cheerios vs. iron supplement debate?
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a one-shot solution, there's a tonic on the market called Floradix. It tastes like rotten fruit (awful), but it has a lot of iron in it, and it's specifically made to be easy to absorb.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Unsulphered Black Strap Molasses (Plantation brand is the best I've found!) It's great in hot tea, and you don't need a lot of it to get a lot of iron (and lots of other nutrients).

Yes! It has a decent amount of calcium too - great for a vegetarian, of course.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you think you might be anemic, see a doctor. He can find out and maybe recommend a supplement, if necessary.

You can get iron from a plant-based diet, but it's harder because we can't absorb all the iron in the plants. Edamame, spinach, dried beans, lentils and fortified breakfast cereals are decent sources. Take them with Vitamin C when you can; it'll help with absorption.

If you cook, use cast iron when you can. That'll help.

Except for the rare treat of liver sausage or red meat, I get my iron from plants and breakfast cereals. It can be done. :)
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Are you sure potential lack of iron is your only nutritional issue?
    Seeing that you are a strict vegetarian who doesn't like most veggies, I'd imagine there are a multitude of issues here...
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Cook your food in a cast iron skillet. I believe your best bet is going to be iron pills.