squats- should I use weights?

Options
I've been doing 10 simple squats a couple of times a day and over the last 6 weeks I've lost 15 lbs. Should I now be doing the squats with 15lb weights or should I increase the number of squats I do? I don't want huge muscular thighs I just want them to be toned for when the rest of the weight is lost hopefully over the next six - eight weeks.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Adding weight will serve you better than adding reps.

You should be looking to include resistance training in your regime on a more ongoing basis than just while you lose weight for the next couple of months, for a wide range of health and physique benefits.
  • kaiwooglin
    kaiwooglin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's a misnomer that lifting weights will bulk you up. To look like that you would need to massive weight and time. You should add weights to any regime, even 25lbs will do the trick.
  • Jadeyvik
    Jadeyvik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you, 25lb seems like a huge amount. I think I'll start with two 2lb weights and build up over a fortnight to 20lb ( I only have 2, 5 and 10lb weights which I think are called Dumbbells. I also have a 30 year old exercise bike which I've just managed to get over 1000 miles! However I'm now aiming to pedal 8 miles a day which takes me just under 30 minutes so the next 1000 miles shouldn't take as long! I also have a second hand rowing machine which I have reached level 7 on and I row 500 pulls in about 20 minutes. I'm also aiming to increase from 30 bent knee sit ups a couple of times a day to 50. I can fit this into my day but it's all at different times, does that matter?
  • iamwilso
    iamwilso Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is your getting your exercise in, I dont think it really matter's too much if you break it up through the day, though I would try and do the couple of set's of squats at the same time eg. 3 x 10 squat, 1min rest between. Google goblet squats, much easier in my opinion when squatting with dumbells/kettlebells. Adding weight to squats will make a huge difference. Try adding 2lb everyday you squat, before you know it you will be squatting 20lb and looking for more weight! And dont worry about getting huge muscular thighs it just wont happen, my wife had the same concern as you but she now squats 80+kg 3 times a week and still doesnt have huge muscled thighs.
    good luck, feel free to add me.