Tea = Water?

Options
Do you count tea as a glass of water? Because I love tea and without it I wouldn't make it to the 8 glasses a day...

Replies

• elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I only count water as water, but lots of people count tea as long as it is caffeine free.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    have to agree with above.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I make decaf iced tea with very little sugar and count it toward my water. It is, after all, water, with some flavoring...
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water

100% agree!
  • abbyholm
    abbyholm Posts: 12
    Options
    I count as the same volume of water, because that's essentially what it is with some flavoring. Any difference in hydration would be too minimal to quantify. 8 glasses of straight up water in addition to other drinks is probably more than you need, considering that even things like milk and pop are water based and will still hydrate you (although in a more caloric way).
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    In Weight Watchers you can count anything that doesn't have caffeine in it as water. Not that this is Weight Watchers, but that is the rule I go by.
  • chelsky90
    chelsky90 Posts: 15
    Options
    I Read an article in the paper a few days ago, saying tea, coffee, squash basically anything you add water too can be classed as water. obviously better to drink just plain water but cant see it hurting really x
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you can count crystal light and Mi0 flavored water as water, then yes you can count tea as water. Just make sure you log that there are extra cals in it, especially if you add sugar
  • heatherseona
    heatherseona Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The reason you can't count tea or coffee is because it is caffeniated and caffeine has the opposite effect as water does. Caffeine dehydrates you. I know because one summer all I did was drink iced tea and I had bad kidney problems. My doctor told me that tea is worse than coffee because of the amount of caffeine and the dehyration it causes.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    The reason you can't count tea or coffee is because it is caffeniated and caffeine has the opposite effect as water does. Caffeine dehydrates you. I know because one summer all I did was drink iced tea and I had bad kidney problems. My doctor told me that tea is worse than coffee because of the amount of caffeine and the dehyration it causes.

There is a such thing as decaffeinated tea
  • heatherseona
    heatherseona Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That is correct there is decaffeinated tea and that would be okay to count toward your water intake.