Food combos no cooking

Furbuster
Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
Hi.

I am laid up quite a lot of the time so am looking for food combos that I can just assemble with very little effort. I like to eat clean, prefer vegan/veggie protein and few ingredients that does not need a lot of thinking. Thankyou.

Replies

• worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Salad - It allows for lots of variety.
  • Furbuster
    Ty - I eat a fair amount of salad but am getting bored with my way of doing it so I was looking for a short ingredient list that others like that I could get inspiration from :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Do you have any dietary restrictions?

• Annie_01
    I keep a lot of roasted vegetables on hand. Perhaps you could get those that are already cut up so there would be little prep time. Just toss with a little oil and seasonings then throw in the oven.

I use a crock pot to cook shredded chicken. It is great to add a little sauce to and make tacos or some type of wrap.

Crock pot cooking might be a good option for you. Just throw it in and let it cook all day.
  • Furbuster
    Hi Annie - I don't eat dairy (just very occasionally on a pizza) and try not to eat meat - I eat it but don't buy it if that makes sense :)

I do have a slow cooker yes. I'm a just a bit uninspired by beans plus stuff atm. I will look around for other things

Fish is ok occasionally too - I don't mind eating that more often :)

Ty
  • Annie_01
    I haven't tried this but you can do potatoes...corn on the cob...plus I want to try this...

http://crockingirls.com/recipes/tilapia-with-asparagus/

I understand about the beans...they are not high on my list either.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited July 2015
    Lots of options with wraps and burritos. Easy and fast to make. Easy to adjust to your dietary needs and likes. Little or no cooking required. Just need to find a wrap that meets or comes close to meeting your definition of clean eating. We are a very busy family with very little time to cook so our rice cooker is one of our best friends. You can make almost anything in a good rice cooker. Toss whatever in, push a button, walk away, easy-peasy. Ours has a slow cook feature that works really well too.

Also look at this MFP board... lots of tasty simple ideas.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10043413/using-bento-boxes-for-lunches/p1
  • Furbuster
    Ah ty for the tips I shall go look :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    We do a lot of zucchini noodle based dishes, stir fry (you can use a frozen Asian mix), pita pizzas, and salads. They all cook in about 10 mins. I even but precooked tofu and you can just throw that into anything.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Salad wise I've been loving smoked trout or mackerel salads with beets, apple, fennel, cottage cheese or a boiled egg. Haven't got tired of tuna salad yet either. If you want to omit the fish and don't mind feta cheese, Greek salads are a great option too. You could add white beans to bulk it up. A baby spinach based salad with grilled vegetables, goat cheese and lentils is a favorite too.

During summer I like whipping up couscous salads when it's too warm to cook. Just pour boiling water over the couscous and let it sit while you prep your veggies: cucumber, cherry tomato, artichoke and red onion or pumpkin, red onion, cauliflower, raisins and curry spices for example. You could do the same with (pre boiled) pasta.

Sandwich wise I'm a sucker for hummus and grilled veg, smoked salmon or avocado and egg. Falafel works wonderful in a wrap or salad.

And then of course there are plenty of sweet options: (soy) yoghurt with fruit and muesli, smoothies (mango, OJ, nectarine and cinnamon), oatmeal etc.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    summer rolls are easy to make
    sandwich with hummus and veggies
    pita pockets with chickpeas , various veggies & some kinda dressing also could put hummus
    banana "ice cream" is really easy to make
    fresh fruit
    vegan chickpea salad sandwiches or put the mix on crackers..lots of recipes for this out there
    rice in a rice cooker with veggie broth and whatever veggies/spices you want then use whatever sauce you like with rice
  • Furbuster
    Thanks for the suggestions. I went out today picked a load of veg off the allotment, roasted a load of roots and cold stored the salad stuff. I have about a years supply of wraps now in the freezer so I'm sorted on bed days.

I'm going to freeze some rice and cooked beans too.

:)