Confusion about exercising and net calories

Options
If I eat back my calories burned from exercise, then what's the point in exercising?

Replies

• leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    good question...i was thinking muscle toning....but i have no idea!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Health. You'll be eating a deficit anyways, but supporting your nutritional needs and overall homeostatic wellness. It'll set you up for sustainable weight loss.
  • alvin_grung
    alvin_grung Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you've gone over in calories - exercise gets you back on track, under or at your calorie intake limit (designed to take off weight, don't forget). Or, you are really, really hungry - the exercise will let you splurge (a bit) - after weeks or months of sticking to your plan, you may want that outlet. Just have to ask yourself whether you are going to do that extra eating or not - if you are, the exercise is WELL worth it! The question is more like, "what's the point of being on MFP if I'm not going to keep to my limit and progress?"
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    The benefits of exercising are numerous. Some that come to mind are to become stronger, more fit, to look better, to feel better. In order to build and maintain our muscles, our bodies need fuel, so after exercising we "fuel up" by eating. On MFP, our calorie target for the day includes a calorie deficit, so when we eat up to that calorie goal, even with exercise factored in, there is still a deficit, so we still lose weight (if we're on a weight loss plan). If we don't refuel from our exercise efforts, then instead of building new muscle, we'll be breaking it down.

If you don't eat after exercising, you're essentially wasting your workout.

So I would actually flip your question around and say, if you don't intend to eat your calories, then what is the point of exercising? :)
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    Awesome question….remember that eating calories back is useful on hungry days as well.
    Increased energy, increased cardio-vascular health, nice firm tone body in the end instead of skinny fat. Being able to run around and not be winded, feeling strong, confident in your abilities....look I could go on, but I think you get the picture. Exercise actually plays a huge roll in self-esteem....it is totally worth it!!!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    On MFP, our calorie target for the day includes a calorie deficit, so when we eat up to that calorie goal, even with exercise factored in, there is still a deficit, so we still lose weight (if we're on a weight loss plan).

Yeppp.
  • Therapist_mama
    Therapist_mama Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post and great answers from some wonderful veterans of health and fitness! I love it! There is simply nothing more I could add! Just wanted to sing praises! Have a fabulous day everyone! Make it a good one! :drinker:
  • kmacnme
    kmacnme Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate your input.